What size grinding wheel?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all! I am a newbie here, although I have been lurking around for a couple of weeks. I just mounted my new HF grinder to the bench tonight and gave it a rip. Right off I noticed that the 1/8" wheel is too narrow for my
3/8 chain. All in all though it appears that it will work fine once I get a wider wheel. The past 2 weeks have been something as I now have my first new saw a Husky 455 Rancher ( no ribbing please!), and I scored a Granberg MKII Alaskan mill on ebay as well. My other saw is a ProMac 10-10 which was giving me fits thus the new saw. I have since straightened out the 10-10's issue. Sorry for going off topic a little just wanted to chime in.:D

Urbicide, I will be using a Jonsered 920 I picked up on ebay as well. I use the 455 for my firewood. Even with all the negatives I read here about it I have found it more than capable for my needs. The 10-10 was killer on my hands not having any vibration dampening whatsoever. The 920 should be in my possession next week. My plan is to use the 920 exclusively on the mill. I also picked up one of the inexpensive "lumber makers" that clamp to the bar. I picked it up on HF for 12.99 when I ordered the grinder. If it works even remotley decent I figured I would mount it to the 10-10 and use it to square the sides of the logs rather than mess around with the Alaskan to do it. I will make the initial top cut with the Alaskan then cut the two sides with the other setup then cut the planks with the Alaskan.

I picked up a 3/16" Oregon grinding wheel for my HF grinder today. It looks like I will have to learn how to dress the wheel to the proper shape. Being perfectly square it cuts a wicked hook into the cutter. Is there a reason for these wheels to not have a more correct profile to begin with? Also, any suggestions on properly dressing this wheel?

square

Wheels are left square because you use the square wheel to do the depth guages.In real life I don't think anyone does it!Just lower your wheel a couple thousanthes and have at it.Drag the chain through the guide and your done.This is not the proper way to do it,but I betya this is mostly how it's done.

I was finally able to dress my 3/16" wheel last night and give the HF grinder a try. After tweaking the profile and testing the grind on an old chain I went to town on the rocked out chain from my Husky 455. I will give it a try tonight after work to see how it cuts but from the looks it should do pretty well. I would have to say that I am pleased overall with how the grinder works.

Dave

Latest posts

Back