What to bring to first day on job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About how much money could a good faller get paid? The job i'm at right now, if I stay there, I'll be making over $50/hr, $100/hr overtime, all sorts of benefits and insurance... just thinking about my career path in the long run. I don't need much money, just enough to provide for a family, have a nice truck, small house with some land, and some toys like fourwheeler and snowmobile, and be able to pay off bills without going into debt. That's all what I want. Oh and I also want to be there to see my kids grow up, I know of a few people at work who are making one hell of alot of money working doubles and steam/gas shutdowns and yea they make alot of money, but they dont see their kids grow up they're working too much.

Ummm, 50 an hour? 100 an hour for over time? Sign me the #### up for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what's overtime??

and another important thing to bring is a good attitude. make it as fun as possible. .......................... the last part might wear off with time.;)

I get up every day with the "cant wait to get there attitude". I truly love logging. Every part of it. Some of it i like better than others, but its a lifestyle for me. A way of life. Ive had other jobs, but logging is it for me. I would wager that some of the other loggers here feel the same way.

I get up every day with the "cant wait to get there attitude". I truly love logging. Every part of it. Some of it i like better than others, but its a lifestyle for me. A way of life. Ive had other jobs, but logging is it for me. I would wager that some of the other loggers here feel the same way.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. If I spend most of my life working why wouldn't I wanna do something that I love. Now I ain't saying that I know I'm gonna love it, but I'm proberly gonna love it, and that's gonna be awesome. My good friend is trying to forewarn me of leaving the job I got now, he's playing the devils advocate trying to help me make a decision.

This is how logging is for me also. Its been ten years since I first went into the woods as a job. Its still fun and I don't know why. Most of the time im a cab rat running a harvester. Ten to twelve hour days, hour to hour and a half drive one way. Rain, snow, hot, cold, bugs, mud,breakdowns. I dunno it grows on you for some we.ird reason. When my wife talks about a vacation, I suggest a week in the northwest somewhere. Ill haul pack for some faller, maybe cut a few if they let me, she can shop or whatever. She wasn't too excited about this, supposedly its not a great idea for a family vacation.

Ummm, 50 an hour? 100 an hour for over time? Sign me the #### up for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wait, what's overtime??

Ok I reckon I'll give ya the skippy.
Right now I'm commuting about 45 miles to work each day working in Bronx, NY. It's a part of NYC. I was scared at first to go work there for a few reasons, but they offered to pay me $20/hr and free diesel fuel for my truck. My boss was telling me over the phone about some the dangers of working there, like how he'd be working on one side of his truck and come around to a crackhead stealing #### on the other side and getting a gun or knife pulled on him. He told me that it's not about the outcome it's about the income. My boss is a local 15 guy (international union of operating engineers) I believe they're getting like $60 bucks an hour now and any overtime is double time for them....so he gets $120/hr for anything over 40 hours a week. Plus he gets a coffee break and a lunch break but we only take one break at around 10 for breakfast and thats it. Plus he has his very own Ford F750 service body truck loaded to the gills. It's got a welder/generator on it, air system, air compressor, 200 gallon fuel transfer tank, 5 ton crane, all sorts of stuff. Thats his he commutes in that every day. He's got his own little office and a big old shop with a ten ton crane that reaches anywhere in the shop. Pretty much they want me to be him eventually once he retires. He's taken me under his wing and has been learning me all sorts of stuff. The corporation shorted me pay once and he made it right by buying me oxy-acetylene tanks, gauges, hoses, torch, cart, tips, brake pads and rotors for my truck. Fixing stuff is occasionally fun for me, but it dont get my peterbilt hard. I want to get as far away from the city of new york city as I possibly can. I lived out in morrisville ny for 2 years when I went to the state college there and I think that's about where I wanna live, if I didn't have so many friends there that I visit so frequently I'd be moving to GA with my dads half of the family.

Wait, what's overtime??

Hey man go find Danella Corporation, they pay great and are located in over 14 states and do work in almost every single one! We even have a chistmas party with an open bar!!

How far does one have to drive from NYC to find trees to cut. Just wondering.

I live in a heavily wooded area. I got 1600 acres of county land in my backyard plus a county owned shooting range. You'd be surprised, I'd say about 30 miles around the city of NYC there's not too much trees, lots of opportunities for tree care companies though. arborists get paid top dollar. But anyways, once you start gettin to northern westchester/putnam county, there's trees and hunters in them trees. we had crews up here from alabama to canada when hurricane sandy come through. I talked with some guys from missouri, they were some real good folk and talked about the huge bucks they been seeing around here. We do have big deer and lots of em. I'll try and find a pic from my game cam to post up on here.

i agree , but i'll wager that there's day's it's not fun at all..:laugh: love and fun can be two different animals .

About how much money could a good faller get paid? The job i'm at right now, if I stay there, I'll be making over $50/hr, $100/hr overtime, all sorts of benefits and insurance... just thinking about my career path in the long run. I don't need much money, just enough to provide for a family, have a nice truck, small house with some land, and some toys like fourwheeler and snowmobile, and be able to pay off bills without going into debt. That's all what I want. Oh and I also want to be there to see my kids grow up, I know of a few people at work who are making one hell of alot of money working doubles and steam/gas shutdowns and yea they make alot of money, but they dont see their kids grow up they're working too much.

Dont need much money just enough to provide for a family nice truck house land toys and no debt. That is a mouth full of stuff on not much money. I do not mean to sound negitive I do wish you luck and if you can do what you like to do and still do all of those things more power to you. It has been my experiance that there is never enough time and kids grow up fast. It sounds like what you are looking for are the things most all of us are tring to provide and it is not always cheap. Good luck and try and stay safe and healthy I found my self haveing back surgery a couple of years ago at age 38 the woods can be hard on the body.

Dont need much money just enough to provide for a family nice truck house land toys and no debt. That is a mouth full of stuff on not much money. I do not mean to sound negitive I do wish you luck and if you can do what you like to do and still do all of those things more power to you. It has been my experiance that there is never enough time and kids grow up fast. It sounds like what you are looking for are the things most all of us are tring to provide and it is not always cheap. Good luck and try and stay safe and healthy I found my self haveing back surgery a couple of years ago at age 38 the woods can be hard on the body.

thank you for your thoughts...yea my buddy has got me thinking about my future and taking this logging job vs leaving the cushy union job that I have right now. I have a college education in diesel technology and it seems like a waste if I go taking this logging job. I just enjoy working in the woods way more than working in a shop. All the bad chemicals I breathe in can't be good, I hack up nasty looking stuff. Bossman runs engines in the shop without any ventilation daily and I breathe in nasty chemicals all day long. I signed up for it though, it's the way it goes. My brains just in overdrive mode thinking about this so much.
Thanks again, Doug

That mind in overdrive deal is the white speck in chicken ####. Meaning that is your brain...everything else is corrupted with the want to go logging. Your brain knows there is a real potential to not make as much for a while, and live a little uncomfortable. You are going to have to answer your own question. I think you should wait till better weather and have more of a shot at steady work.

That mind in overdrive deal is the white speck in chicken ####. Meaning that is your brain...everything else is corrupted with the want to go logging. Your brain knows there is a real potential to not make as much for a while, and live a little uncomfortable. You are going to have to answer your own question. I think you should wait till better weather and have more of a shot at steady work.

:msp_biggrin: Yeah, and back when we started and some older, wiser, guy told us the same thing...did we listen?

Hell, no. We were going loggin'...and that's all there was to it.

Now we're the older, maybe wiser, guys, and we caution the young guys...and they don't listen a darn bit better than we did.:msp_biggrin:

:msp_biggrin: Yeah, and back when we started and some older, wiser, guy told us the same thing...did we listen?

Now we're the older, maybe wiser, guys, and we caution the young guys...and they don't listen a darn bit better than we did.:msp_biggrin:

My old man gave me the same song and dance, mostly about being a mechanic... so I warped his advice into pursuing a career as a wannabe logger (forester). The pay is less, in the beginning, and the B.S. is quite similar... I love doin it though and there are the perks of the job; such as finding something to do inside on a nasty day or outside on a nice one... I'm honestly not that bad :laugh: Some of my most enjoyable days were the more miserable ones that I never said I'd do again but went and repeated anyways.

Good luck to ya 4X4 gotta do what ya love.

My old man gave me the same song and dance, mostly about being a mechanic... so I warped his advice into pursuing a career as a wannabe logger (forester). The pay is less, in the beginning, and the B.S. is quite similar... I love doin it though and there are the perks of the job; such as finding something to do inside on a nasty day or outside on a nice one... I'm honestly not that bad :laugh: Some of my most enjoyable days were the more miserable ones that I never said I'd do again but went and repeated anyways.

Good luck to ya 4X4 gotta do what ya love.

Just don't become a sale administrator. You'll have to go out on those nasty days too. Or I guess you really don't have to. But you should.

Just don't become a sale administrator. You'll have to go out on those nasty days too. Or I guess you really don't have to. But you should.

Haha well I guess I just kinda did for the summer. Internin up on the Peninsula outta PA. Gonna be doin merch cruising, logging admin, and scaling. Gotta go out on all the nasty days lol

I don't mind those nasty days. I'll do what I have to to get the job done.

I wanna go loggin!:blob2:

well shoot...believe I'm corrupted!

Back