What to do for this damaged plumb tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a plumb tree that lost a limb a couple of years ago. I only recently realised the extent of the damage & I'm really not sure what the best way to deal with it is. Any recommendations would be gratefully received, thanks.
20240510_135425.jpg20240510_135503.jpg20240510_135327.jpg

I'm thinking I might squirt some expanding foam or something similar in the crack to help stop water pooling there at least

If it was mine, I would cut the left fork out. It will bear for years. But I would plant another near by just in case. I try to never let bearing trees grow a v or crows foot. The weight of leaves and fruit/nuts is heavier than most folks realize. Spent all morning pruning 30 or so young trees.

First off- its a Plum not a Plumb- its on a lean not plumb.
They grow like weeds here- just lop off the damaged section and let it recover- or dont- damn thing will still grow and produce fruit.
I know... damn auto correct... & once posted I don't think we can change the title.
It's growing in the cows paddock & it's a PITA to establish trees there so I'd like to preserve it as best as possible. Yes they grow like weeds, but the birds & possums get half the fruit (that the cows can't reach) so we want to preserve what we can

If it was mine, I would cut the left fork out. It will bear for years. But I would plant another near by just in case. I try to never let bearing trees grow a v or crows foot. The weight of leaves and fruit/nuts is heavier than most folks realize. Spent all morning pruning 30 or so young trees.
I was considering that too... thought it would be a shame to remove the better half of the tree if it wasn't necessary though.
I also may have to get permission from the council to do so as we are in a "stability zone" & aren't allowed to remove more than 5m² of vegetation per year. Past experience tells me that will be unnecessarily drawn out, complicated & expensive 🙄

I'm thinking I might squirt some expanding foam or something similar in the crack to help stop water pooling there at least
I agree, cut off broken and spray foam and saran wrap break. Keep water/ rot out and tree can heal itself sometimes; I have nursed 75yo dogwoods for past 15yrs w/ that practice. If part dies, cuts off dead.

Expanding foam doesn’t benefit the tree, just makes you feel good.
If water isn’t accumulating in the hole it must be draining somehow. If you want it to drain faster, estimate how deep the rot/hole goes and drill upwards at 45 degrees to intersect the bottom of the hole and install a plastic pipe long enough to reach the hole and for 1-2 inches past the trunk. You could probably use copper or brass, but the latter is pricey, the former might be toxic to the tree. If you use steel you’ll damage your saw when the tree is being removed . A 3/4” pipe works well with a 1” drill bit, get the kind clear the wood quickly. Your drill will need a lot of torque to drill at an angle.

I know... damn auto correct... & once posted I don't think we can change the title.
It's growing in the cows paddock & it's a PITA to establish trees there so I'd like to preserve it as best as possible. Yes they grow like weeds, but the birds & possums get half the fruit (that the cows can't reach) so we want to preserve what we can
I do thin we have EDIT capabilities, look for the three dots at top of YOUR post.

Back