What's the ideal 2 stroke oil brand and mix ratio to have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purellbear37

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been using Brigs and Stratton 2 stroke oil mix as this is what I have on hand.

I have always used 50:1 ratio.

I am seeking ideal practice for longevity and ideal production out of my saws.

I have a few brand new saws and I have some saws that are 20 and 30 years old.

Thanks.

Amsoil Saber...; At 40 to 1 ratio..???
Are we talking about that World Famous Saber that advertises " Proven at 100 to 1" ??
Personally, I thought that 100 to 1 was pushing the envelope a bit.
So.. I've been running that stuff for about a decade, at 70 to 1 ratio. I ran it in everything I had.. Stihl, Echo,.. everything.. ( chainsaws, line trimmers, leaf blowers, etc.. Even ran that ratio in the LawnBoys, ( which called for 32 to 1 ratio), they loved it. Ran it in my mid 90s' 30 H.P. Yamaha outboard. Ran it in a beater 2 stroke snow blower. The whole idea was that I ran 1 mix and fuel for ALL equipment. 70 to 1 ( Premium Ethanol free plus Saber), so no worries about the crew screwing up, or re-tuning. Used to be able to get the Saber in "pillow packs".. Just to make sure that the crew couldn't screw it up, it was one pilow pack in three Liters to make 70 to 1.
Never fouled a plug, never fouled an exhaust screen, never saw smoke out the exhaust. Never had a single engine failure. Have stuff that should have been dead a long, long time ago, ( just from total hours ) that still runs like a champ. I Mill with an old school Stihl, at that ratio.. No worries.
But seriously.. Running Saber at 40 or 50 to 1?? I just don't get it.
That stuff is, ( at least in Canada ), expensive. What are the benefits of mixing it so rich??

I will never understand why people keep trying to see how close they can get to running their equipment without oil.

Run any JASO FD oil(link in my signature) at some ratio between 16 and 50:1, in fresh fuel, and learn to tune your equipment. If you can't tune your equipment, learn to do that before you worry about oil.

Bam, done. Oil related issues will not be why your equipment fails, it'll be something else. Cut wood and be happy.

Latest posts

Back