Where to cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterpoodle

Reaction score
I have this tree that died about a year ago. The tree is maybe 75' and is a single tree that splits into a V. My question is which is safer:

1. Make one cut near the bottom

Or

2. Cut each independent split (2 cuts)

I want to do option 1, but am worried that since the tree is dead, it could split on me. Option 2 worries me in that I'm not sure what happens when half the mass is off the base.

Also, it's hard to tell from the pics, but the tree is on a 20 to 30 degree slope.

I'm for sure a novice, but have felled about 20 trees successfully. I'm using a Stihl MS391 with a 20" bar.

One last question. What is the recommended cut strategy for this situation?

I try my best to be super safe, so thanks in advance for the help!

Attachments

• 20241005_153846.jpg
    20241005_153846.jpg
    2.5 MB
  • 20241005_153921.jpg
    20241005_153921.jpg
    2.6 MB
Agree with Del... 2 cuts.
Wear a lid & be wary of deadfall. I'd either send em the way they want to go (clearing any trees they might hang up in first), or set a rope part way up if I was sure I had the means to pull them where they needed to go... basically just avoid pounding on wedges

Agree with Del... 2 cuts.
Wear a lid & be wary of deadfall. I'd either send em the way they want to go (clearing any trees they might hang up in first), or set a rope part way up if I was sure I had the means to pull them where they needed to go... basically just avoid pounding on wedges
Thanks! I've been doing additional research and think you and Del are correct. I do need the tree to go in a specific direction since behind it is a deep ravine. I have a Maasdam and rope. It'll be first time I've used it.

Ok, first, let's be clear, you do not have a tree, you have 2 trees that grew next to each other. If you tried it in one cut they would come apart. Glad you have a maasdam. Set your rope about 2/3 up... enough to get good leverage, not so high you risk just breaking the top out. Do NOT pretension the rope, just get the slack out. Notch it, back cut, backing up with a wedge, leaving a healthy hinge. Then you can go to your maasdam and crank away, safe from widow makers.

Those two leaders look somewhat intertwined. You need to be well away from the base of these trees when you start to put more tension on the Maasdam as some limbs are going to break off and fall. It may not be the easiest Maasdam pull because even a small limb intertwined can put up quite a bit of resistance.

An advanced technique is to fell both leaders at the same time but it presents many hazards on it's own. Based on your questions I don't believe it is one you should try.

Those tree look to be in good enough condition to climb. A climber could cut intertwined limbs to assure that the do pull apart easily when felled one at a time.

Back