Which place to send my saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this will probably open a can of worms....

I am wanting to send my 038 Mag to walkers, dennis, ect... for a little magik to be performed.
Basically I am looking for something nice and reliable yet still more power than I have now. I am used to an 066 and when I pick this thing up for limbing I feel like I am using an 017. I am hoping to get some more HP and torque...
Where should it be sent to and whos got the best bang for the buck??

To keep the worms from getting out of the can, why not just call/e-mail each sawman you are thinking about.....I know most on this page and most of them will do a great job, but all do it at different levels of performance and cost...Anyway here is my opinion if you want a 038 to cut like a 066, expect the 038 to die sooner (alot sooner)....I say on a working saw (038) that moderate tune of 2 hp would be about max and only then if you know how to keep it tuned and sharp ! Over reving any saw kills them ie: dull chain and trying to cut anyway.

Originally posted by Rotax Robert
To keep the worms from getting out of the can, why not just call/e-mail each sawman you are thinking about.....I know most on this page and most of them will do a great job, but all do it at different levels of performance and cost...Anyway here is my opinion if you want a 038 to cut like a 066, expect the 038 to die sooner (alot sooner)....I say on a working saw (038) that moderate tune of 2 hp would be about max and only then if you know how to keep it tuned and sharp ! Over reving any saw kills them ie: dull chain and trying to cut anyway.

I am not wanting it to cut like the 066, heavens no. I just wish it didn't bog as much....

As I mentioned in another thread, I had an 038Magnum for over 10 years. Ran a 27" bar with 3/8 full chisel. With a SHARP chain, I could bury it in a big oak log and it wouldn't bog. If your saw is properly MAINTAINED, it has more power than you can use 98% of the time.
I've heard opening up the muffler a tad will help it breathe better- running cooler and stronger.
The only problem I ever had with mine was the wimpy air filter. It's imperative that it be cleaned regularly and replaced when it starts letting crud through.

If your 038 Mag feels like a 017 than the cure is not powertuning. It sounds like it needs an overhaul. (Jug, ring, seals.)

My 038 Super AV will take whatever I put in front of it

Originally posted by JimL

I am wanting to send my 038 Mag to walkers, dennis, ect... for a little magik to be performed.
Basically I am looking for something nice and reliable yet still more power than I have now. I am used to an 066 and when I pick this thing up for limbing I feel like I am using an 017. I am hoping to get some more HP and torque...

If your 038 Mag feels like a 017 than the cure is not powertuning. It sounds like it needs an overhaul. (Jug, ring, seals.)

My 038 Super AV will take whatever I put in front of it

Originally posted by JimL

Hmm ill have to go burry the saw in some logs outside later on and see if it just does bog, I put a carb kit in and new plug. I run razor sharp chain.. 20" bar

jim,
sell the 038 and buy a "worked" 372xp. great all a round saw. marty
ps. look around at prices and proformance background.

Yeah, that's the ticket! Buy yourself a 372xp. But ya gotta get rid of that 'POS' 038 first. I'd be willing to take it off your hands for ya. Might even give ya a couple bucks. I enjoy runnin' 038's, even if they do only have the balls of an 017.;)

I bet Jim's 038 is fine...He's just spoiled about power, going from a 90cc saw to a 70cc one.

Years ago, when I was just a kid, My dad died and left me with a couple of homelite gear drive saws.
Them monsters would not bog in anything, ever, for any reason. You could literally reef on the saw hard enough to bull a small stem around on the ground, and the saw just kept gnawing...

I bought me a shiny new CS702 Echo, (70cc) when I was a senior in High School, and thought it was a weakling at first. I had to be shown how to use a chain saw; that speed, sharp steel, and finesse, are better than brute force.

I'm not a Stihl fan, although I have considered them from time to time. I almost bought an 038 once, but chose a jonsered 670. Here's a question:
AS I remember the 038 had about the same power, same displacement as the 044, but weighed a pound or so more. Was the 044 a cheaply-made piece?

"AS I remember the 038 had about the same power, same displacement as the 044, but weighed a pound or so more. Was the 044 a cheaply-made piece?"

The 038Magnum was built like a tank. Not a piece of plastic on it, except the wimpy flocked air filter. It is the same displacement as the 044 (4.4 C.I.) but the 044 was designed for lighter weight. Plastic shrouds and sprocket cover instead of cast aluminum. The 044 is a bit more of a 'revver', the 038Magnum was torquier on the low end of the RPM range. When the 038M was taken off the US market (Thanks, EPA :rolleyes: ), most companies around here went to the 044. Nowadays they are all using the 046. My current employer has 2 046's, they are definitely stronger than my old 038M.

I think a modified 038 would cut at least as fast as a stock 066 if you send it to: [email protected]
Ken consistently gets about 35-50% more out of any given saw.
I just sent Ken my 385 and 999 to get modified for woodswork.
All I really need now is a 346 modified by Ken so I can limb some tops and eat up Rogers 346GP which is already an impressive saw. Roger just needs to learn how to file thats all.
Gypo

That be true gyro..

wonder if i could get you to fly down to cali, and do a second story job at ruups.. the item i need lifted is those goggles. Please leve the family jewels alone tho....

I heard ruup had an old walnut right near the second story balcony...
If you're really a tree top lover, And have some good snug ropes, you should be up to the job.

...I hope his daughters have moved on tho...for their sake...

I can do that Roger, no problem. When I am talking tree tops I mean the ones that are horizontal. If God wanted me to fly he would have given me wings. So I always have both feet planted firmly he ground. No theatrics for me! lol
You would be proud of me Roger, I got all my glasses fixed today, however my skidder goes after them like a dog after a football.
Gypo

Yeah, i figgered as much.

But with the kind of money you make you could afford to hire me to climb the ones you hang up.... I only charge 17.50 an hr...that's what 250k in play money

plus expenses....Courvoisier etc...

and I'd have to make sure my glasses stay on my head, or you'd run over em too fer sure....and use your saws, as skidder probably does a "Christine" any chance it gets....

Last edited:
Hi Roger, I tried to, but it wouldnt let me delete it. Wow! I hope noboby sees that picture, I will end up in Electrolux land, lol
Maybe Dennis can get it out of there. Dennis!!!!!
Gypo

I didnt see any picture..

you can't delete posts, but you can select the text, delete it all, then add in anything you want, as brief as an asterisk, or a pair of smashed glasses.

Thanks Roger, now I know how to correct my spelling. Now I can go and remove all my beverage induced posts. lol.
Ya, ya, ya, Dennis will say that means all of them.
Gypo

Back