Which two stroke oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run the Stihl HP Ultra. My dealer recommended it strongly for my BR600 blower, and I read it a few times here too, that they have carbon buildup problems with other oils. I don't know if they meant with oils such as Motul, Saber, Red Line, etc, but I only want to deal with one can of fuel/oil mix. I've heard people complain about the smell, but I never noticed anything. I'd be interested to hear if anybody with real experience agrees or disagrees with this....or, I could start another oil thread.;)

I run the Stihl HP Ultra. My dealer recommended it strongly for my BR600 blower, and I read it a few times here too, that they have carbon buildup problems with other oils. I don't know if they meant with oils such as Motul, Saber, Red Line, etc, but I only want to deal with one can of fuel/oil mix. I've heard people complain about the smell, but I never noticed anything. I'd be interested to hear if anybody with real experience agrees or disagrees with this....or, I could start another oil thread.;)

Your dealer was talking about Stihl's older HP oil. It was fine in regular 2 cycle engines, but did poorly in the 4 mix engines. Any of the high end oils will do just fine. I've started to run Motul 710 in my 4 mix equipment and I can tell you it works well. Zero smoke and zero smell with 710.

I seriously any chainsaw company actually makes its own oil. I would bet that Stihl, or Husky, or Echo oil is just rebranded something else. That being said, I have five remaining from a six pack of Stihl ultra, been in my garage for at least a year because the smell really bothers me. The "best" oil I have used from an obnoxiousosity level is the Husky "low smoke" stuff. Stumping on a windless day with a big saw, there is a big difference in the "pleasantness" of the oils. I am not a builder, nor pro repairer, but I have been inside quite a few of my saws and have never noticed a carbon buildup problem with any of the brand name oils I have run. I keep my saws in pretty decent tune, though, which probably helps. Actually, I've never had an oil or gas related saw failure. If you give them fresh gas with decent oil mixed properly, and tune 'em decent they tend to last pretty well

It seems like all oils work well now days but everyone has there favorite. I run Amsoil at 50/1 and it's cheaper than most other synthetics. I was a little paranoid running 50/1 after everyone was saying how much better it is to run 32/1. I pulled the muffler off all my saws and saw sparkling metal with a thick oily film. I'm sticking with 50/1! I run 100LL with Amsoil at 50/1 in all my small engines 2 and 4 stroke. Other than the smell of leaded gas no one can even tell I run mixed fuel in all my 4 stroke motors. Sorry got a bit off topic.

I picked up a couple quarts of Amsoil Sabre at $10 quart. Would you suggest 40:1 with Non ethanol 89 in a ported saw ?
I'm prolly talking crazy, but I give bigger saws more oil than smaller ones. Double crazy, for a modified saw with higher compression and advanced timing, I'd rather have 93e than 89 straight

I use the regular Dino oil from Baileys, just love it.
Mix their 2 1/2 gallon bottle with 2 gallons of gas.

I'm prolly talking crazy, but I give bigger saws more oil than smaller ones. Double crazy, for a modified saw with higher compression and advanced timing, I'd rather have 93e than 89 straight
I agree, big engine's = More heat. Lower octane levels = more heat. Strato engines with built in air leaks = more heat. Combine them and the choice for buying 93 octane pump gas is worth the little extra money.

I seriously any chainsaw company actually makes its own oil. I would bet that Stihl, or Husky, or Echo oil is just rebranded something else. That being said, I have five remaining from a six pack of Stihl ultra, been in my garage for at least a year because the smell really bothers me. The "best" oil I have used from an obnoxiousosity level is the Husky "low smoke" stuff. Stumping on a windless day with a big saw, there is a big difference in the "pleasantness" of the oils. I am not a builder, nor pro repairer, but I have been inside quite a few of my saws and have never noticed a carbon buildup problem with any of the brand name oils I have run. I keep my saws in pretty decent tune, though, which probably helps. Actually, I've never had an oil or gas related saw failure. If you give them fresh gas with decent oil mixed properly, and tune 'em decent they tend to last pretty well

All of Stihl's oils are blended by Omni Specialty Packaging. Who came up with the blend is unknown, but it's likely Castrol. Both Husky's oil and Echo's oil are made by Spectrum. Echo's oil was once made by Citco.

I do like amsoil products. I use Amsoil gear lube in my outdrive on my boat and Amsoil diesel & marine 15w-40 in my boat's 350 ( 5.7) motor and in my car and suv and it works very well.
I am sure the Amsoil 2 stroke sabre oil will work very well at 40:1 in the ported saws and 50:1 in the blower and trimmers.
I just picked up some Echo Red Armor oil to try and it is more expensive than the Amsoil. The most expensive is the Stihl Ultra oil. Unlike the oil in the boat or car, I can't send off
the oil for an analysis so it's pretty tough to know what works best unless you have a failure and then you know it didn't work.
Seems like there are quite a few synthetic 2 stroke oils that cost more than amsoil.

Is it better to have a synthetic blend or straight synthetic oil in a ported saw ?

For the last 10 years I ran plain old marine 2 stroke oil at 50:1 in my Husky backpack blower and used it almost every day. The blower is still running strong today.

I will stay with the opti2 for my saws.I will say that i have a Polaris 400 xpress that i bought with 150 miles on it,it now has 10280 miles runnin walmart tcw3 out board oil.my dealer cant believe i have that many miles and and no rebuild.I think oils are higher quality now not the problems as older days.Dont know???????

Take a look at RED ARMOR. My Echo dealer says that Echo only wants you to use it in their machines and in fact will put up issues on a warranty claim on something not using it.

I have used it in my Echo equipment and get good results. My 8 year old weed eater works better after a few tanks mixed with it. Saws seem to like it also.

Hal

This is what I will be using for the rest of my life.... For $43.00 I could not go wrong.

Stihloil_zps8553d3c1.jpg

It's strange that Amsoil always has the reputation of being the most expensive. At $10 a quart , it's half the price of Stihl Ultra, 40% Less than Echo Red Armor, Half the price of Motul 800 and similar high end
synthetic 2T oils. Seems like the Amsoil Sabre is the most cost effective option in the syn oil. Running the Amsoil at 40:1
I am not blinded by brand loyalty but have have excellent results with Amsoil products and it seems like most of the complaints are about the high price which is not the case here or about the silly 80-100:1 mix which
I am not running.

Any other reasons not to run Amsoil Sabre @ 40:1 ?

It's strange that Amsoil always has the reputation of being the most expensive. At $10 a quart , it's half the price of Stihl Ultra, 40% Less than Echo Red Armor, Half the price of Motul 800 and similar high end
synthetic 2T oils. Seems like the Amsoil Sabre is the most cost effective option in the syn oil. Running the Amsoil at 40:1
I am not blinded by brand loyalty but have have excellent results with Amsoil products and it seems like most of the complaints are about the high price which is not the case here or about the silly 80-100:1 mix which
I am not running.

Any other reasons not to run Amsoil Sabre @ 40:1 ?
I run it no problems in a year.

Back