Wonder if this is common practice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L-Jack, what kind of pines are you talking about.
I guess I would climb a white pine, but the thick as $hit Norway spruce and blue spruce with all the dead crap that works its way down your shorts, I couldn't imagine climbing just to set a line. I've had a few that it was impossible to climb, too thick
cut your way to the base, strap on and cut those branches over head as you climb
If I ever find my digital camera, I'd get some pics

Old monkey-can't believe you used spurs on a trim! Young Lumberjack-how can you one-hand your saw and throw the branches so that they are in a good position to drag?Never seen anyone work from the top down, I like to keep the ground crew happy. Other question-back in the old days of logging, when towers were wood and men were steel, no-one ever spurless climbed. The man of the show was the high rigger, he was the only climber and he was THE man. Anyways, he climbed with big sharp spikes, called leg irons. He was the consumate lumberjack, why are you called lumberjack if you don't wear spurs all the time? Loggers kill trees-you care about them, your name does not make sense.

We have loblolly pines here, thats the type I am thinking about.

This one I dumped over top whole, saving a small tree under it.

notsmartresized.jpg

Here are some more, couldn't top down any of these.
attachment_10668.jpg

As a side note, I remember once felling a 60-70' blue spruce (right next to a house!) then we limbed and chipped up the tree. At that point I decided it'd been faster to climb the tree limbing bottom up.

love
nick

clearance said:
Old monkey-can't believe you used spurs on a trim! Young Lumberjack-how can you one-hand your saw and throw the branches so that they are in a good position to drag?Never seen anyone work from the top down, I like to keep the ground crew happy. Other question-back in the old days of logging, when towers were wood and men were steel, no-one ever spurless climbed. The man of the show was the high rigger, he was the only climber and he was THE man. Anyways, he climbed with big sharp spikes, called leg irons. He was the consumate lumberjack, why are you called lumberjack if you don't wear spurs all the time? Loggers kill trees-you care about them, your name does not make sense.

Clearance, read up there, I said I used this on a cut and leave job.

As to the lumberjack, it makes sense, I have posted before. My senior year while playing backyard football I laid out a big dude, took him off his feet, when he got up he said ???? your a lumberjack. Some girls there heard it and several girls started calling me lumberjack. So thats how it was born.

Thanks for the explanation. Removal, no cleanup is my favorite, if I like the customer I chuck the branches butt first in one pile and the blocks in another. If I dont like them...once we cut down a 120 ft fir for the utility. We found out the deal was that the city had to clean it up, we can't stand those lazy dog#@$^ers. Buddy went up about 70ft in the bucket and stripped the branches, I climbed out of the bucket and went to the top. We both rained like 200-600lb. chunks on top of the branches. Clusterf$#%&. still laugh about it.

Back