Worth paying for 346xp rebuild?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earnald

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just had the local shop put new carburetor on it. Now it wont idle. Not a lot of power. Air leak, I think. Screw hole for oiler assembly screw is stripped. Older model, occasionally used hard, home wood lot. So maybe ring, bearings? I don't have tools or time to rebuild but I love the saw. Is it worth paying someone to rebuild? Who?

Stumpshot steve haling does stock rebuilds as well as porting if wanted
he did a couple of saws for me
He does excellent work if you want his number message me.

STOP using the local shop for a start. Saw sent in for repairs should not come back in worse condition, undiagnosed and leaving you to play guessing games on internet forums.

Photos of the carb they used to replace the original? Did you get the original carb back?

I agree with Czed's post above. My humble advice is to send it to a well respected porter on here and have them rebuild it for you. It's a saw you love and want to continue using for many years to come. And trust me, if you love it now you'll really love it after it's ported. I highly recommend @huskihl (Kevin LaVanway) on here. He's a good dude and great to work with. Kevin's got a Youtube channel with videos of saws he's ported. I know they're a couple of 346xp's in there so you can know what to expect.

If older plastic intake. Those ruin your day quick. They heat up warp and melt. Air leak. Reason for update to metal clamps or normal metal clamp.

IMO time to learn and easy saws to rebuild. Dig in.

Attachments

• hclampmelt.jpg
    hclampmelt.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
  • h34699xxxxxx.jpg
    h34699xxxxxx.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
Thanks everyone for your help and references. I'll look at the clamp before sending it off to get ported. Photo of new carb and old carb. Old one is Zama. New one is OEM but didn't take it off to see. My shop is currently in an upstairs bedroom so there's a limited amount I can do.

Attachments

• PXL_20240803_144539252.jpg
    PXL_20240803_144539252.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Is this an XPG? Whats up with the electrical wires running between cylinder and muffler? Looks like a nice spot to melt insulation.
Pop the recoil starter cover off- do not disturb anything and show us a photo of the coil.

Upstairs bedrooms work, heck Ive seen saws built on dining tables!
Take it apart outside, clean all that crud off everything and then bring it upstairs to repair and reassemble.

Not by anyone who lives with a partner I bet

Na, Ive done it myself- within the last 20 odd years that Ive had the same partner- only the once though and did have an old yoga mat on the table top!
It was mid Winter in Southland and the dining table is nice and close to the wood burner.
If all the parts are precleaned and dry- where is the harm? :p

Na, Ive done it myself- within the last 20 odd years that Ive had the same partner- only the once though and did have an old yoga mat on the table top!
It was mid Winter in Southland and the dining table is nice and close to the wood burner.
If all the parts are precleaned and dry- where is the harm? :p
That's 100% my logic too... has gotten me in trouble on more than one occasion :s

Thanks everyone for your help and references. I'll look at the clamp before sending it off to get ported. Photo of new carb and old carb. Old one is Zama. New one is OEM but didn't take it off to see. My shop is currently in an upstairs bedroom so there's a limited amount I can do.
Judging by that pic you seam like a fairly practical person... If you could remove the muffler & post some good clear pics of the piston & rings through the exhaust port that would clear a few things up... & pic of where the intake block clamps onto the cylinder too

That saw is 100% worth fixing! There is good info here already. The plastic intake clamp is easily replaced with a metal one.

It looks like one of the limiter caps is missing on the carb and they have been flipped around? Shouldn’t the white ( low screw) be closest to the cylinder ?

Here are 2 pics from my all original OE 346xp

Attachments

• IMG_1246.jpeg
    IMG_1246.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1245.jpeg
    IMG_1245.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Fair enough- my mistake, hard to see its alloy sheet with all the crud hanging off of it. ;)
This is what xpG looks like on top of carb. That was just normal everyday xp.

Attachments

• h346gggggggggggg.jpg
    h346gggggggggggg.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 0
  • h346ggggg.jpg
    h346ggggg.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back