Electric splitter worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the answer to my own question. I know why they are not manufactured by all the big companies.....PRICE!!!

http://www.woodsplittersdirect.com/Electric-Wood-Splitters/20-Ton-Log-Splitters

About 5 years ago, I got into a bunch of spaghetti elm that was just kicking my butt. I'd just gotten into scrounging my own wood and really had no idea what I was doing, other than the wood was "free". After hand splitting several truck loads and learning what words and doesn't work, an older neighbor from down the street stopped in to comment on my "new hobby". He offered to let me borrow his electric splitter that he was borrowing from a friend. I declined at first as I was really proud of how far I'd come from bouncing the first half dozen hits on each round in the first load, to learning to read the grain and age of each one with increasing success. After further consideration of my aching back however, I accepted his offer the following day "just for the really gnarly crotches"...

The splitter was a Ram Splitter (that are actually produced about 10 miles away from my house!) that struggled a bit at first, due to my using a cheap box store extension cord stretched to the corner of my yard. Another neighbor, who happens to be an electrician, wandered over to see what I was up to and brought along a heavy cord that required moving closer to the garage to connect it. WOW! We split everything we could find in the neighborhood and went and got another few loads while we had the splitter available. It took patience and learning how to work the grain, but it split everything and some of this wood was very gnarly and up to 36" across. A few of the rounds took both of us and my son to roll onto the splitter, but it split them all!

If I hadn't come across a good deal on an old gas powered splitter, I'd have saved up for the Ram Splitter. I still would prefer one, since I've never hauled my splitter anywhere else. I always thought the electric would be too limiting without a power source, but it hasn't come up yet. Maybe I should sell mine and upgrade?

Good luck if you break down and buy one!

Gotcha I know a lot of people in the city around here cannot primarily heat with wood. Guess it's not the same everywhere :). Have to say I actually enjoy it enough now I would probably do the same if I ever moved back to the city

I don't primarily heat with wood. I have an old fireplace with a heat exchanger. When I'm not home, the furnace does its job. If I'm home though, the fireplace does a decent job of keeping the furnace from "kicking on" and can keep the living room at 70ish and the rest of the house alittle lower.. Gotta be saving some money if even a little. I would love a wood stove, but not in the budget right now. I just enjoy the sound and feeling of a fire in the house.

About 5 years ago, I got into a bunch of spaghetti elm that was just kicking my butt. I'd just gotten into scrounging my own wood and really had no idea what I was doing, other than the wood was "free". After hand splitting several truck loads and learning what words and doesn't work, an older neighbor from down the street stopped in to comment on my "new hobby". He offered to let me borrow his electric splitter that he was borrowing from a friend. I declined at first as I was really proud of how far I'd come from bouncing the first half dozen hits on each round in the first load, to learning to read the grain and age of each one with increasing success. After further consideration of my aching back however, I accepted his offer the following day "just for the really gnarly crotches"...

The splitter was a Ram Splitter (that are actually produced about 10 miles away from my house!) that struggled a bit at first, due to my using a cheap box store extension cord stretched to the corner of my yard. Another neighbor, who happens to be an electrician, wandered over to see what I was up to and brought along a heavy cord that required moving closer to the garage to connect it. WOW! We split everything we could find in the neighborhood and went and got another few loads while we had the splitter available. It took patience and learning how to work the grain, but it split everything and some of this wood was very gnarly and up to 36" across. A few of the rounds took both of us and my son to roll onto the splitter, but it split them all!

If I hadn't come across a good deal on an old gas powered splitter, I'd have saved up for the Ram Splitter. I still would prefer one, since I've never hauled my splitter anywhere else. I always thought the electric would be too limiting without a power source, but it hasn't come up yet. Maybe I should sell mine and upgrade?

Good luck if you break down and buy one!

Just figure out what you might need for an electric motor and do the swap. Gotta be some smart guys here who could recommend something. it has to fit the coupling for the pump, and be similar rpms somehow, and similar horsepower I guess. Shouldn't be too difficult.

What size/tonnage was the Ram Splitter you were using? Do you recall?

I didn't remember off the top of my head, but I know it was low profile as I remember working on my knees when using it. I also remember it being 110V, as that's all I have in the garage.

I called Doug at Ramsplitter and he confirmed it was 16 ton, based on my description. (Nice Guy!)
Here is a link to a video of his in operation:

The only drawback I can see to the electric would be the requirement to have power locally, but the truth is I've never used mine anywhere except the side yard and I had power run out to the fence a couple of years ago for lights and music for the Mrs. so that's wouldn't have been a problem to now. Of course, if I were to sell my gas powered 30 ton unit to buy the electric, I'd find a need to haul a splitter somewhere to bust up some big rounds to spare my back... Wait! A chance to practice my noodling! :D

I need to stop coming to this site. I keep finding ways to spend money I don't want to spend on things like this! :chop:

I didn't remember off the top of my head, but I know it was low profile as I remember working on my knees when using it. I also remember it being 110V, as that's all I have in the garage.

I called Doug at Ramsplitter and he confirmed it was 16 ton, based on my description. (Nice Guy!)
Here is a link to a video of his in operation:

The only drawback I can see to the electric would be the requirement to have power locally, but the truth is I've never used mine anywhere except the side yard and I had power run out to the fence a couple of years ago for lights and music for the Mrs. so that's wouldn't have been a problem to now. Of course, if I were to sell my gas powered 30 ton unit to buy the electric, I'd find a need to haul a splitter somewhere to bust up some big rounds to spare my back... Wait! A chance to practice my noodling! :D

I need to stop coming to this site. I keep finding ways to spend money I don't want to spend on things like this! :chop:

Mo toys!

Besides noodling, if you *really* had to haul the electric out, just take a generator with you.

You are supposed to run a generator under load once in awhile anyway, they even have a term for it, called "exercizing" it. I think they do that here either once a week or once every two weeks, something like that, the big diesel gennys.

Mo toys!

Besides noodling, if you *really* had to haul the electric out, just take a generator with you.

You are supposed to run a generator under load once in awhile anyway, they even have a term for it, called "exercizing" it. I think they do that here either once a week or once every two weeks, something like that, the big diesel gennys.

I've always wanted a generat... Wa-a-ai-i-t-t-t - a - minute... Another toy to buy? My wife will take away the internet!!! :bowdown:

My bigger genset, the maker recommends 50% load, for 30 mins, every 6 months... It's to drive any moisture out of it...

That seems to be the "standard", gen. mfg. recommend

I have had a 5 ton Speeco electric for years and they are quite surprising. Nice to have as a back up if you have a gas splitter, but they really shine in a garage, or, like I do, in the basement. There always seems to be some pieces that are to big, or you want some smaller ones, for whatever reason. Sure beats getting out the big splitter, or hauling them outside to be split once they are already inside. I store my wood in the basement and that little splitter has been very useful. For a few hundred bucks, you can't go wrong.

One of those little table top electric jobs wouldnt even start to split the wood I harvest. I am trying to justify one in the basement for resplitting some of the stuff I carry in that the wife doesnt like to lift into the stove. For that it might be worth it, but I already use a gas splitter with a 6way blade and can spit over a cord per hr of big rounds. I dont really see an electric anytime in my future.

What few I have in the basement to split, I just use an electric chainsaw or ax to split...

SR

One of those little table top electric jobs wouldnt even start to split the wood I harvest. I am trying to justify one in the basement for resplitting some of the stuff I carry in that the wife doesnt like to lift into the stove. For that it might be worth it, but I already use a gas splitter with a 6way blade and can spit over a cord per hr of big rounds. I dont really see an electric anytime in my future.

Then why did you post?

Just to irritate you. Just how much information did your last reply bring to this thread?

Do you mean the prior post where I posted a picture and explained how I use it, or the post where I called you out for being an *******? :)

For those that want a bigger electric splitter, my buddy likes to split inside his 30X90 garage, so he took the gas engine off a big splitter and put an electric one on. Don't know how or if he matched the electric to the machine, or if he just took something he had laying around, but it works just like the gas engine did. You could by a brand new Huskee 22 ton, which all here tend to agree is a great splitter, and put an electric on it for about the same or a little cheaper than the ram 16 ton electric, Joe.

Do you mean the prior post where I posted a picture and explained how I use it, or the post where I called you out for being an *******? :)
Neither, I am referring to the post you just posted. Your previous two post have added nothing of value to this thread. It seems you just want to start some sort of meaningless argument. This would be pointless and a waste of my time as well as yours. Find something more meaningful to discuss if you wish to continue name calling.

My previous post was only to point out that the electric splitter isnt for everybody. For someone as myself, I split large dia rounds, they are also usually longer than the 20in lenght that the electric splitter is designed to split. Therefore, the electric splitter wont do what I need it to do. I feel this is necessary information to someone considering buying any type of wood splitter. Still, I believe there are times where it would come in handy for resplitting the occasional large split that I might miss with my gas splitter. Even then, most likely it would be something my wife would use since she isnt likely to swing a godevil or axe to resplit any size wood. Your electric splitter may serve you well and I am sure you like using it or you wouldnt have posted the pictures in your first post. For someone that doesnt own a or has never used a splitter, your first post might convince them that the little cheap machine is all they need. My post was just to point out that while the small electric splitter can split wood, it might not be the best choice for their particular situation.

And that is about all I have to say on this subject.

Back