Electric splitter worth it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because of this thread I stopped and took a look at the small electric splitter at Menard's: Earthquake 5 ton electric, around $300. Looked like a piece of crap.

Maybe there is a difference between some of these smaller, electric splitters, based on the positive comments several of you have posted. That type of hands-on experience with them is really helpful.

Philbert

Because of this thread I stopped and took a look at the small electric splitter at Menard's: Earthquake 5 ton electric, around $300. Looked like a piece of crap.

Maybe there is a difference between some of these smaller, electric splitters, based on the positive comments several of you have posted. That type of hands-on experience with them is really helpful.

Philbert
I have to agree that the Earthquake splitters LOOK tacky and cheaply made. However, my research seems to indicate that all of these splitters are made in the same factory in China (judging by the details of the actual working components) and are customized and branded for the particular customer. An exception may be the units sold by HF, but even those look suspiciously similar. I am generally very leery of Chinese made electrical machinery, but I'm very happy with this one. The Homelite branded units are sold at Home Depot for the same $300 price (along with the Earthquake for $50 more). They lack the cheesy detail work of the Earthquake, but appear to be identical otherwise.

Homelite splitter.jpg

Philbert

I would proly get one if I could find one local for around 50-75 bucks.....not that I would use it a lot, just once in awhile when I had some crotches lined up as an alternative to noodling or sledge and wedge. Sometimes I don't want to fully suit up just to run a chainsaw for five minutes, and I won't run a saw without suiting up with full PPE, not anymore. I did for decades, decided I pushed my luck too far, the "quit while you're ahead" deal.

Seems like..faulty memory here maybe..wasn't it just a few years ago these electric splitters were around 150 new? When did they all hit around 300 or more?

Latest posts

Back