Girlfriend Needs A Saw !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fuzz1500

Hi guys . Believe it or not...I have one of the rare girls that loves chainsaws almost as much as I do !! Yay me :) She has her own top handle Echo that I got her...but needs a rear handle of her own . She usually will snag one of mine...but I think its time for her to have her own . Ill still be the one doing most of the maint. on it....so it doesnt have to be an easy adjust or anything cheap . She really likes the Stihl 170 because its light and manuverable.........but I am by no means a Stihl guy..sorry ! Plus I think she needs something more heavy duty . I wanna get her something that Ive never had...make it more interesting ! Under 50cc's .She really likes the 90's and back Husqvarnas like I do . So Im thinkin of a nice older Husky that can be worked on if need be . I have had a Husky 44 or 246 or 242 . Seems like the 44's are easier to come across . Im interested in hearing what you guys have to say . My girl is no woose..but I dont want her to get hurt with something thats crazy fast . Thanks guys ! P.S....feel free to let me know if you guys have anything to offer as well :)

I would suggest a Dolmar 420 or 421. They are excellent built saws for the money.

You are correct. But, they are a little heavy for the CC. Redmax GZ4000 is over a pound lighter and gets good reviews; and, we have a member whom is a Redmax dealer. He may be able to hook you up with a fair deal on a new one. Good luck with your purchase. Here is his website:

http://wickedworksaw.com/index.htm

Last edited:
I actually have a Dolmar 350 . She likes it....but I wanna try something different u know !! P.S. wouldnt mind having a 420 or 421 myself !!!

Good for you fuzz. My girl has run the small husky a time or two but I don't want her to know how to start it. LOL. She asked to learn to shoot my 357 Magnum. Still scared on that one too. Hell hath no fury ......... LMAO

It's a little over 50cc, but I would recommend the Husky 254. Excellent power to weight ratio. Can be set up with 3/8 or .325 pitch up to 20". New parts are all still available. Simple design that has all the pro features built in. Closed ports, adjustable oiler, A/V mounts, alloy crankcases, etc.

poulan 5020av the saw is very underrated then what the money she saves from buying it she can buy you a bigger Christmas gift

The 246 is a nice little saw
dava5e7y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girl loves to help me out so I picked her up a 170 Stihl. She loves it but every time I look around she has my 550XP and using it with authority!

Well, for the saw I think whatever you get you should have it ported by one of the guys on the forum. That really kicks the power for the weight up and you can always manage cut speed a bit with chain. Of course once she catches on that you are hobbling her with the chain . . .

My wife had never fired a pistol when I met her, bad experiences with people tricking her into hurting herself with rifles and shotguns. I taught her proper stance and grip and had her ready to shoot with a standard .38 load in my .357 no sense making it harder on a beginner. She was in position gun pointed, shaking worse than Don Knots or a bird dog passing peach pits, but she couldn't make herself pull the trigger. The pistol was cocked so I finally reached from behind her and just touched her trigger finger. All it took was a touch and the gun went off, she was that close to shooting and couldn't finish. She spun and had the .357 pointed at my gut from about a foot, finger still on the trigger! Got my attention I mean to tell ya. Might want to start your girlfriend with a .22 pistol, easier on learners and it won't make as big a hole if there is an oops.

Hu

Make sure it's something she can start. My wife has a hard time with pull ropes on equipment and I know a lot of other women do too. She's pretty strong, just maybe the way a woman's arm is shaped compared to a mans or something. (hence I don't recommend a ported saw) Even if you don't like Stihls, if she does, why not get her one? The 017/018 series is a great starter saw and pretty inexpensive. Or are you looking for an excuse to get yerself a new one?? lol.

Back