Girlfriend Needs A Saw !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brother you are blowing it if you dismiss these Earthquake saws summarily- they are fantastic saws, get her the 38cc, heck get two! $44 ea to your door, new or like new

See the Earthquake thread

Hi guys . Believe it or not...I have one of the rare girls that loves chainsaws almost as much as I do !! Yay me :) She has her own top handle Echo that I got her...but needs a rear handle of her own . She usually will snag one of mine...but I think its time for her to have her own . Ill still be the one doing most of the maint. on it....so it doesnt have to be an easy adjust or anything cheap . She really likes the Stihl 170 because its light and manuverable.........but I am by no means a Stihl guy..sorry ! Plus I think she needs something more heavy duty . I wanna get her something that Ive never had...make it more interesting ! Under 50cc's .She really likes the 90's and back Husqvarnas like I do . So Im thinkin of a nice older Husky that can be worked on if need be . I have had a Husky 44 or 246 or 242 . Seems like the 44's are easier to come across . Im interested in hearing what you guys have to say . My girl is no woose..but I dont want her to get hurt with something thats crazy fast . Thanks guys ! P.S....feel free to let me know if you guys have anything to offer as well :)

Yup. I think you are dead on. Might add a 353 to the mix. Or at least something in that class. I build a 350 2152 hybrid for my wife. Bottom line, she is the most important person in your life so get her the best equipment possible for her.

my wife loves running her little ms170,,, I put a wt215 carb on it which is fully adjustable,, also did a MM,, its a little screamer

Yup. I think you are dead on. Might add a 353 to the mix. Or at least something in that class. I build a 350 2152 hybrid for my wife. Bottom line, she is the most important person in your life so get her the best equipment possible for her.

Couldnt have said it better buddy !! I actually have my old 350 on the shelf . Still runs good....hmmm....you have me thinking about updating it with some mods :)

my wife loves running her little ms170,,, I put a wt215 carb on it which is fully adjustable,, also did a MM,, its a little screamer

I ran a stock one for awile years back . I kinda liked it . Just never bought into Stihl . They just always run like the crank is bolted down too tight..if that makes any sense at all !! I had used it for a lil firewood saw...and it served its purpose well . Never got to see the longevity of it though .

I'd never hand my saw to any of my girlfriends past or present. They've all been far too girly-girl for that sort of stuff. Good luck. She must be a big farm girl to handle a chainsaw with any measure of safety.

I should mention that I have Efco , Echo , Husky , Stihl , Jonsered , Dolmar dealers within 10 minutes of my house !! Anyone have any luck with the Efco ?? Our local Dealer is fairly new.......and I havent heard too much out and about yet . Except for the dealer themselves...who of coarse says that they are the best thing ever :)

Hi guys . Believe it or not...I have one of the rare girls that loves chainsaws almost as much as I do !! Yay me :) She has her own top handle Echo that I got her...but needs a rear handle of her own . She usually will snag one of mine...but I think its time for her to have her own . Ill still be the one doing most of the maint. on it....so it doesnt have to be an easy adjust or anything cheap . She really likes the Stihl 170 because its light and manuverable.........but I am by no means a Stihl guy..sorry ! Plus I think she needs something more heavy duty . I wanna get her something that Ive never had...make it more interesting ! Under 50cc's .She really likes the 90's and back Husqvarnas like I do . So Im thinkin of a nice older Husky that can be worked on if need be . I have had a Husky 44 or 246 or 242 . Seems like the 44's are easier to come across . Im interested in hearing what you guys have to say . My girl is no woose..but I dont want her to get hurt with something thats crazy fast . Thanks guys ! P.S....feel free to let me know if you guys have anything to offer as well :)
Sounds like she is the smarter one, of the two of you.

I should mention that I have Efco , Echo , Husky , Stihl , Jonsered , Dolmar dealers within 10 minutes of my house !! Anyone have any luck with the Efco ?? Our local Dealer is fairly new.......and I havent heard too much out and about yet . Except for the dealer themselves...who of coarse says that they are the best thing ever :)
I pick up a John Deere CS56 (same as a Efco 156) for a good price on ebay a few months back. I have cut a few cords of wood with it and im very pleased with it. I usually bring it along for who ever is cutting with me if they dont have a saw.
The saw starts VERY easy... First pull (actually just a few inches of rope) after it is warmed up, always.
I did a Muffler mod and it has good power also (twice the saw of a ms290 IMO).
If you want its little brother look at the 152, the specs look good on that one too.

I see a couple of comments about the ladies needing to be "big" to run a saw. I've got a 17 y.o. girl that helps us cut wood. She wields a 441C-M with authority and she doesn't weigh over a buck twenty five. While she can run the 441 just fine, she prefers a 261 she's buying from me. That young lady works circles around the boys her age that cut for me also. My 13 y.o. daughter has no issues with the MS250 we built for her, but starts the 261 easier because of the compression release. She's taller and bigger than the 17y.o., but only weighs 140# Don't sell the ladies short and get them the saw they need for the wood they are going to cut.

I pick up a John Deere CS56 (same as a Efco 156) for a good price on ebay a few months back. I have cut a few cords of wood with it and im very pleased with it. I usually bring it along for who ever is cutting with me if they dont have a saw.
The saw starts VERY easy... First pull (actually just a few inches of rope) after it is warmed up, always.
I did a Muffler mod and it has good power also (twice the saw of a ms290 IMO).
If you want its little brother look at the 152, the specs look good on that one too.

Just to add a little bit more info about the cs56/156. Mitch (Mweba1) installed a Walbro 199 on his. Looks very impressive!!
I have a few 199's in the shop. When I get time I will throw one on to spice it up a little more!
Here is the video... Thanks Mitch!!

I see a couple of comments about the ladies needing to be "big" to run a saw. I've got a 17 y.o. girl that helps us cut wood. She wields a 441C-M with authority and she doesn't weigh over a buck twenty five. While she can run the 441 just fine, she prefers a 261 she's buying from me. That young lady works circles around the boys her age that cut for me also. My 13 y.o. daughter has no issues with the MS250 we built for her, but starts the 261 easier because of the compression release. She's taller and bigger than the 17y.o., but only weighs 140# Don't sell the ladies short and get them the saw they need for the wood they are going to cut.

You said what was on my mind . My girl isnt some big lumberjack farm girl ! Shes just strong and motivated ... I feel bad for these fellas that have wrong impressions and dont understand what we are talking about . I use to be one of those guys who didnt think firewood cuttin was "ladies" work . This one proved me wrong...and changed the way I think about a lot of things . Thats why Im not gonna just get her what I think is best .....I want her to be involved ..since it will be in her hands most of the time . Let her get what feels good....then Ill make sure its a good ,safe ,reliable saw . Im just thrilled at the advise I have gotten on this thread so far.......Im not too concerned with the negative Nancys' :)

Latest posts

Back