Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since knives were the topic of the day recently :surprised3:
View attachment 879031
You know, I've got a three bladed Old Timer like that and it rusts light Hell. Couldn't keep it clean. And I have an Old Timer fillet knife which I like the shape of the handle and blade length, but I just can't get it sharp. I've given up on Old Timers.

Well once the server problem is fixed, I'll delete my 2x duplicate posts. It said there was an error so I assumed it didn't go through. So I tried it again (and again). Wasn't just fishing for likes :laugh: .
Don't delete them. We might hit 3,000 pages by midnight. :happy:

Don't delete them. We might hit 3,000 pages by midnight. :happy:
I've always thought this forum should have a "Thank You" button so I could than people for their responses (I have so many questions). So if you want, I could go back since I joined and thank each person individually in a separate post. That ought to do the trick (don't worry I won't).

G'day blokes, haven't been around for a couple of weeks, finally turn up to find I'm 25 pages behind. I've caught up now, and can provide my considered opinions on things, which of course you'll all find riveting.​

RHD is very rare here, but I did see a imported military style jeep with it a few years ago.

That F-150 looks cool, but I'm glad that I can speed shift the Mustang right handed! I think changing hands to shift and steer with would really screw me up after all these years!

Funny thing. I learned to drive my grandfather's 1969 Holden Premier (I stihl have it) which was a 3-on-the-tree manual on the left side of the steering column. Then as a 19 year old, I went to the US and learned to drive a floor shift manual with the right hand. So I could drive a column shift manual with the left and a floor shift with the right. When I was confronted with a floor shift in Oz with the left hand - hopeless! Had to learn all over again.

I ain't dead yet !
I hope Y'all been good !!
Merry Christmas !!!

Glad to see you're stihl alive Dan. Don't tell me you've run out of spruce??

1fdad7ded2e02425cb20634e35f0d17b.jpg

9b15ec33762f3f2ebcce9c5e9ec90d9d.jpg

e4cbeeb824abf69085ccd310bd4ed417.jpg

3 loads from a Road side thinning project in my fire district
a621e7ed84e28da2a744282d5ee345f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those trees look a bit like bluegum. In forested areas here they grow like telephone poles but usually a pain to split.

Generically Yes. Several varieties . All crap. Burns gooooood though, even when cut for firewood
Just google Aussie bush fire
faf5318faf2fb401c3f96259dd6ed397.jpg

That’s March, pre bark and wind shed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah Aussie bush fire, those trees sort of explode in the canopy with all the eyeculyptus oil in them.
The Ironbarks are a tough wood to cut but they do burn well. Preffered wood down my way for slow burning lots of coals and heaps of heat.
I like it better than red gum.

Agreed. Ironbark is about as good as firewood gets.

One more thing, when I scrounge I dress for success. I wear nice work pants, a button down work shirt, chainsaw chaps and a reflective vest....coupled with asking permission. Avoids the notion that I’m out of my mind, which I am!

Some of my neighbors looking a-t my wood stash think I am crazy, The rest of them KNOW I am.

Stash is now down to around 60 cord 50 of them black locust. Still cutting a little each year but I haven't found a good scrounge area since I finished the Willow one.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and while I'm at it, happy new year! We were away for a bit over two weeks. Apart from a couple of good days, the weather was mostly rubbish but that's how it goes.

31st Dec 1.jpg

The fishing was fair at best but we did get a few

31st Dec 2.jpg

This guy had eyes bigger than his stomach

31st Dec 5.jpg

31st Dec 6.jpg

Bit of paddling in the river when the weather was ok

31st Dec 4.jpg

And, if you can believe it, the weather was cold enough that we lit the fire on three days. The Christmas tree was my grandparent's old plastic one, circa 1970 I guess.

31st Dec 7.jpg

Back