Stihl 056 Coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I stopped into my dealer

The saw tech explained to me that a ts 350 cutoff saw interchanges for the sem type its salty very salty. But he said that he thought it was made better and should be able to provide a longer trouble free run then the older sem . I also cdont know if he was just trying to sell a salty priced part but the cut off saw works on the 056 as far as ive been told and I have seen that elsewhere too.

anybody know if the point ignition from the early 045 will work on the electronic versions of the 045/056?:popcorn:

anybody know if the point ignition from the early 045 will work on the electronic versions of the 045/056?:popcorn:

Id say yes but you need to do flywheel and points and coil. No mixing parts. If you guys are patient I am getting an 056 running and have some pics to show how to adapt a Stihl module to work.:msp_biggrin:

Id say yes but you need to do flywheel and points and coil. No mixing parts. If you guys are patient I am getting an 056 running and have some pics to show how to adapt a Stihl module to work.:msp_biggrin:

i may find out soon enough, i just picked up a very nice early 045, i pulled the fan off the flywheel, but no windows to see through, i haven't pulled the flywheel yet, but looking at the parts breakdown, the flywheels don't look as if there's a cam on the inside, makes me wonder if the cam is on the crank, may pull the flywheel tomorrow, to find out. if the cam is on the flywheel, i think the point version 041's ignition plate assy. may also fit, but would need the 045 flywheel

You should see a marking on the flywheel. There is a Bosch and SEM for these saws. Post a picture of the flywheel and we can let you know what you have. The parts don't interchange between the two. For some reason, I'm thinking the 045 came with Bosch setups.

Wish I could figure out somthing????

So that is a replacement for the Bosch ignition with the two-part flywheel right?
If it is that would be a cheaper option than upgrading to the SEM module and then having to get the matching flywheel.
Just did a quick search under TS350 ignition (works better than searching 056) from the UK on e-bay.com and found one for $76 that looks like the Bosch.Shipping from the UK is extra. Plenty of SEM ignitions came up as well but what seems to be the Bosch type have only appeared lately.

Now when I did that search all that came up was the SEM style. Just wish I could find somthing that wasnt $100++

I can't remember the model right now, but one of the older Sachs Dolmar chop saw used the same SEM ignition as the 056,TS350 and TS360 chop saws. I used one to get a non firing 056 back to life. I did some searching and found the model of Sachs that used the SEM ignition and it was a Sachs Dolmar 309 chop saw.

Last edited:
To put the 045 points ignition on an 056 you need the stator assembly and the flywheel together,but I can't remember if the points cam was on the flywheel or crank,if it's on the crank your 056 needs the crank with the cam too.
All the 045's and 056's before the Mag 2 used the Bosch ignition.
If you have a dead Bosch electronic on an 056 you can use one from a 133 Dolmar if you can find one used,I've done it.

The Bosch ignitions were not used on any Huskey 2100/2100S in any year sorry for the bad news there...but your correct on the 2100 ignition on the Huskey it uses a SEM which can be bought an installed on any 056 Super or 056 Magnum you just need to extend the spark plug and kill switch wire I've done several. I have never heard anyone making these Bosch ignition or any app to replace these..if so pic's will help so we all can see these.
The Bosch type ignition used on the 056 was used on 2100's too,so you may have 2 models that are candidates for a replacement ignition, in fact I think the 133 Dolmars used it too,and probably a couple other saws.

Stihl 056

Very late to this thread, but came here looking for stator options for my 056. Did anything ever come of this potential project?

hello all, I know ignition coils for the old 056 continue to be an issue, and i'm wondering about something. As a small time parts supplier, I have the ability to manufacture these, but it will be slightly expensive at the start. Is there a market for these? Would anybody be interested in them? Thanks.

Could you please explain how to do this? Do I need a special connector? Also, can the kill switch wire be replaced if it is missing?

Thanks.

If you buy the Husky SEM, you'll have to get a high voltage splice to extend the plug wire as they are too short to begin with for the 056 & potted into the bases...NGK sells one as part number J18083 that barely fits up inside the fan cover and you can secure it with a tywrap where the black rubber wire holder is attached. The NGK splice is made for 7mm wire, but you can use electrical tape to increase the standard 5mm wire diameter up a little to fit the gland type bushings. Did one two years ago & it's still working fine

The kill wire is easy to extend with a couple of normal type splices & some 14 gauge wire, as you need that copper end off the old Stihl SEM to plug back into the kill switch

Back