Tuning a ported 066 RL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a 2 slot flywheel (-1203), take the coil off your 026/029/036/044 etc, and put it on the 066. Move the FW to the other slot.. Tune the carb, figure you what your settings are, and then put the RL-1307 coil back on.

You mention using a coil off a 026/029/036/044. These all call for the 0000 400 1300 coil, which you mentioned previously. The 066/660/046/460 call for the 1122 400 1314, which you called the "smart" coil. Are the smart coils on the larger saws simply to aid in starting, with the retarded timing curve at startup? Is the RL coil retarded at startup? I'm assuming not.

I forgot about the aluminum/poly flywheel change. Can I use a 1122 400 1314 coil with my aluminum flywheel, so long as it two keyways? Here's all the coils ever used on the 066. Correct me where I'm wrong.

1. 1122 400 1307
    • Original RL coil
    • Rev limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  2. 0000 400 1300
    • Dumb coil
    • Non limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  3. 1122 400 1311
    • Smart coil??
    • Non limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  4. 0000 400 1303
    • Dumb coil
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel
    • Same as used with aluminum flywheel above
  5. 0000 400 1305
    • Smart coil??
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel
    • Can it be used with an aluminum flywheel that has two keyways?
  6. 1122 400 1314
    • Smart coil
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel

Last edited:
OK. This just got more complicated for me. I just pulled my flywheel and it only has a single keyway. PN 1122 400 1209. Can I use any of the non limited coils with this flywheel? If not, what flywheel PN am I looking for, 1122 400 1214? And then, can any of the coils newer than the 1122 400 1311 be used with it?

Last edited:
There's an 066 igntions tech note that's been posted on as a few times that shows the matrix for both 064 and 066. I'm off to work, so if you don't find it by this evening, I'll post it again.

I'm staying with my rev limited 1307... I had no problem determining a decent mixture setting yesterday. Cut times (if that's all you're concerned about) will be so close over a range close to "perfection" that it just doesn't matter, so stay slightly rich.

Last edited:
There's an 066 igntions tech note that's been posted on as a few times that shows the matrix for both 064 and 066. I'm off to work, so if you don't find it by this evening, I'll post it again.

That's where I pulled the info from above. But what it won't tell me is the interchangability. Also, I'm finding more PNs on eBay than listed in the bulletin.

1. Will any of the non limited coils work with my flywheel?
  2. If not, what PN flywheel do I need?
  3. And which coils work with that flywheel.
    • Of those coils, which are non limited?

I forgot about the aluminum/poly flywheel change. Can I use a 1122 400 1314 coil with my aluminum flywheel, so long as it two keyways? Here's all the coils ever used on the 066. Correct me where I'm wrong.

1. 1122 400 1307
    • Original RL coil
    • Rev limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  2. 0000 400 1300
    • Dumb coil
    • Non limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  3. 1122 400 1311
    • Smart coil??
    • Non limited
    • Aluminum flywheel
  4. 0000 400 1303
    • Dumb coil
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel
    • Same as used with aluminum flywheel above
  5. 0000 400 1305
    • Smart coil??
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel
  6. 1122 400 1314
    • Smart coil
    • Non limited
    • Poly flywheel

You forgot the 1122 400 1300! This and the 0000 400 1300 were on many early years of production, particularly out side of the USA.

Last edited:
Brad, why don't you just tune it in the cut. You surely aren't hitting the rev limiter in the cut are you? My saw will hit the rev limiter out of the cut but in the cut it just barely burbles.

Brad, why don't you just tune it in the cut. You surely aren't hitting the rev limiter in the cut are you? My saw will hit the rev limiter out of the cut but in the cut it just barely burbles.

Shhhh,,,, Not so loud!!!!!!!!! I think thats what andy is trying to tell him!!!!

all kidding aside Get a coil or tune in the cut!!!!!

I explained in post 11 why I want a non-limited coil. I know I can tune the saw with this coil. I can also set it rich and not recognize the potential that I went to the trouble to port the cylinder for. What I can't do, is easily check my tune and keep an eye on it in changing weather conditions. I like to pay a little more attention to the tune of my saw than most do that aren't running modded cylinders. If I swap in a non-limited coil, I can easily tell if it's running too lean. That's the bottom line. This isn't about how to tune a stock saw. There's a reason why so many people with limited Husky's and Dolmars have looked for a way to get rid of the limited coil on modded saws. We can't go by factory standards or procedures. There's also a reason why Stihl did away with the limited coil.

All I need to know here, is what aluminum flywheel PNs will work and which non-limited coils will work with that flywheel?

Last edited:
The "official word" is that you should not use the 1314 coil with the RL aluminum flywheel, but... you can't get the other coils new so I'm not sure where that leaves you. Try the 2 slot version of the flywheel ( -1203) or find a 1214 flywheel / old 1311 coil. or.. take your chances, but have your timing light ready, and compare with the RL ignition. Advancing the even a couple of degees too much is just a detrimental as a lean carb.

The old 066 tech notes from 1990 shows the 1122 400 1300 in use on the 066. In 1993 they show the 0000 400 1300 as a vaild option for the 066. Rarely .. when you deaccelarates from full speed to idle, under some conditions the engine will suddenly run backwards. Also very "snappy" on the hands too.

If I get a chance, I'll run some test on my 064 - I have a box of various coils... even though the 064 is a bit more advanced (timing) than the 066.

Although it makes you less sure of what you are doing, the limited coils work fine - even if you've messed with the ports. Start way rich, stick it in the wood and make small adjustments leaner until it cleans up sound-wise. Leave it there... Done. If you want to race, tweak more.

if you're adamant on setting to so close to the edge that weather is going to change your mixture to "bad"... well.. I can't help you. Hey.. millions of huskys can't be wrong :monkey:

Last edited:
are the metal flywheel cranks different from the poly flywheel cranks?

That's the crux of my problem. They changed the crankshaft when they went to the poly flywheel. The taper is smaller on the older cranks and only use the aluminum flywheel. I don't know if the poly flywheeled crank will fit in my case or not. If it will, I could upgrade to the stronger crank and solve my ignition puzzle all in one. Even still, I'd like to get these other interchangability questions answered for future reference.

Yes they are different; No, they will not fit.

Any ignition problem you have is perception only...

Last edited:
Back