Why do "Chinesium" chainsaws need a richer oil mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hermio

Hermio

ArboristSite Guru
Common amongst people that don't have a clue. Patents cover a technology, not a model... there never was a patent on the Stihl 066 or Husky 372xp.
They are completely illegal. No emmisions on them and they are counterfeit.
Actually, B, you got this one wrong. While technology can be patented, so can specific designs. That is why they are called a design patent. Shoe manufacturers patent shoe designs all the time, but new technology in shoes is very rare. Patent attorneys sometimes call a design patent a "red button" patent. The idea is that if they cannot patent a button, they can patent a new color if it has not previously been patented.

Hermio

Hermio

ArboristSite Guru
I have some thoughts on chainsaw cost. Let's compare the Stihl MS261 to the MS660. Though I have not torn either down, I suspect they have pretty much the exact same number and type of parts, the only difference being size. That would mean, due to the small size of parts, that the assembly time for each is probably the same. The manufacturing time for the parts themselves is probably quite similar; at most, maybe 10-20% longer, The MS 261 powerhead weighs 10.8 lb. The MS660 weighs 16.3 lb. The MSRP of the 261 is $700; for the 660 it is $1600. So, you are essentially paying $900 more for 12.2 lb of metal. That's almost $73/lb. No way does that reflect the cost of the metals used. Assuming Stihl makes some money on the 261, they must make a whole lot of profit on the larger saw. How can they get away with that? Their customer base for the larger saw is mostly professionals, who will pay more to be more productive. I suspect the Chinese saw manufacturers just keep a reasonable profit margin regardless of saw size. Their target market may not be the pros. They may mostly sell to homeowner-type consumers who would like a large saw but cannot afford one from the big names. Admittedly this is speculative but the cost and margin argument for the large saws is based on sound reason.

bwalker
Actually, B, you got this one wrong. While technology can be patented, so can specific designs. That is why they are called a design patent. Shoe manufacturers patent shoe designs all the time, but new technology in shoes is very rare. Patent attorneys sometimes call a design patent a "red button" patent. The idea is that if they cannot patent a button, they can patent a new color if it has not previously been patented.
I find it highly unlikely Husky or Stihl have applied design patents on chainsaws. For starters if you compare the 261 to the 661 they all basicly have the same look by design. As such a design patent probably doesn't apply.
You free to do a patent search to prove me wrong.

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Last 3/4 as long is up for debate.. I seriously doubt it.
If I couldn't afford a new 661, I would buy a nice used 661.
But let's be honest here $1500 is peanuts. You probably spend more on your phone bill over the course of a year.
$1500 is definitely not peanuts to me. I spend $430/year on my phone bill. Consumer cellular is $36 a month. It works perfectly fine. Maybe if I spent $150 a month for Verizon it would be so much better and last so much longer?

bwalker
I have some thoughts on chainsaw cost. Let's compare the Stihl MS261 to the MS660. Though I have not torn either down, I suspect they have pretty much the exact same number and type of parts, the only difference being size. That would mean, due to the small size of parts, that the assembly time for each is probably the same. The manufacturing time for the parts themselves is probably quite similar; at most, maybe 10-20% longer, The MS 261 powerhead weighs 10.8 lb. The MS660 weighs 16.3 lb. The MSRP of the 261 is $700; for the 660 it is $1600. So, you are essentially paying $900 more for 12.2 lb of metal. That's almost $73/lb. No way does that reflect the cost of the metals used. Assuming Stihl makes some money on the 261, they must make a whole lot of profit on the larger saw. How can they get away with that? Their customer base for the larger saw is mostly professionals, who will pay more to be more productive. I suspect the Chinese saw manufacturers just keep a reasonable profit margin regardless of saw size. Their target market may not be the pros. They may mostly sell to homeowner-type consumers who would like a large saw but cannot afford one from the big names. Admittedly this is speculative but the cost and margin argument for the large saws is based on sound reason.
You don't price a chainsaw or any other piece of equipment on how much it weighs..
For starters the market and sales volume on a 661 is much lower than the 261 I would guess.

bwalker
$1500 is definitely not peanuts to me. I spend $430/year on my phone bill. Consumer cellular is $36 a month. It works perfectly fine. Maybe if I spent $150 a month for Verizon it would be so much better and last so much longer?
That piece in your avatar retails for what? 8-900? And for certain has much less utility than a chainsaw.
Let's be honest your just being cheap azz.
Would you consider a chicom 1911? I mean you have already bought a cheaper cast copy of a Colt.

GeneralKayoss

GeneralKayoss

ArboristSite Operative
Common amongst people that don't have a clue. Patents cover a technology, not a model... there never was a patent on the Stihl 066 or Husky 372xp.
They are completely illegal. No emmisions on them and they are counterfeit.
Honestly, I wouldn't care if they were illegal. They made it possible for a poor guy on a budget like me to own a 92cc saw to mill with. I run a whole fleet of Echos doing firewood commercially, mostly 680s, workhorses but they do break down regularly. I also regularly bring the China 660 to work with me for the stuff the 800 can't handle. So far it hasn't let me down once. Maybe it will in the future but it's already paid for itself and made me money at this point.

I went through the same thing at work "you bought a piece of Chinese junk" Fast forward a few months and it's "hey man you got your big saw with you today" lol

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
There is no fixing bad taste.
Let's face it you bought your wife a $650 paper weight and your bhitching about chainsaws being so expensive you have to buy a chicom piece of garbage.
Wow. I won't waste anymore time trying to explain anything to you. You already know everything. Have a great day. God bless you.

diver64

diver64

ArboristSite Operative
That piece in your avatar retails for what? 8-900? And for certain has much less utility than a chainsaw.
Let's be honest your just being cheap azz.
Would you consider a chicom 1911? I mean you have already bought a cheaper cast copy of a Colt.
I don't really understand what is going on with you. My understanding is that the Chinese manufacturers wait until a model is either no longer produced or off patent then have at it. Some of us like a particular saw for some reason that is no longer produced and buy the clone (explains the 372 clone without the x-torq I just bought to replace my long lost but not forgotten 272xp). Others just want a cheaper version of a saw they might use once or twice a year.
Why are you getting so wrapped up in this?

GeneralKayoss

GeneralKayoss

ArboristSite Operative
I don't really understand what is going on with you. My understanding is that the Chinese manufacturers wait until a model is either no longer produced or off patent then have at it. Some of us like a particular saw for some reason that is no longer produced and buy the clone (explains the 372 clone without the x-torq I just bought to replace my long lost but not forgotten 272xp). Others just want a cheaper version of a saw they might use once or twice a year.
Why are you getting so wrapped up in this?
I'd value his opinion if he had actually ever ran/owned one. But he admittedly hasn't. How do you like the 372? You get the base or pro?

30% of the price for 90% of the performance with even just 50% of the longevity is a no brainer to me

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I'd value his opinion if he had actually ever ran/owned one. But he admittedly hasn't. How do you like the 372? You get the base or pro?

30% of the price for 90% of the performance with even just 50% of the longevity is a no brainer to me
I looked up the price of a 395xp with 36" bar, $1303. I just ordered a neotec 395 with 36" bar for $291 delivered from Amazon. That's less than 25%. I've seen very positive reviews on them. These clones can't be beat for an occasional user or chainsaw nut like me.

bwalker
I have a Colt government model series 80 1911. That Ruger is superior in every way compared to the colt.
Except it's made out of cast metal.
I have a few rugers. One specifically that's killed a pile of stuff. It's a fine utilitarian rifle, but it's also crude, heavy, rough and weighs a ton due to the action being a block of cast steel. A colt or Winchester they are not.

ammoaddict

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
So, yeah.. I own a collection of Stihl, and Echo saws..
I've seen a few videos ( Guilty of Treason), that test beat a few cheap Chinese saws. They didn't seem too bad, and were dirt cheap. So, considering that a bar and chain could easily run over $100.00 ( CDN), .. for an extra $50.00... Darn!! you get a whole chain saw, tools, gloves, scabbard, etc.
Basically, at that price, they are disposable. So, I bought a 25 CC top handle, and a 60 CC saw. Drop one? Run over one? Hit the ground with the chain? Lend it out to an idiot neighbour? What's the worst that could happen?
But.. What's with the manual's instructions that it runs at 25 to 1 . ( actually, 20 to 1 for the first tank, then 25 to 1 after that).
Is it because the manufacturer thinks that you'll use the cheapest Dino oil that you can find? That you wouldn't run a premium synthetic? Is there a difference in the metallurgy in the saw's construction?
Usually, I run Amsoil Saber at 70 to 1, with Premium, Ethanol free gas, with a glug or two of Seafoam.. Everything that I have loves it, and I've had no issues of any kind in well over a decade. And yeah .. I beat the crap out of them commercially.. They weren't babied homeowner's stuff.
So.. do I just disregard the "25 to 1" thing, and run my usual mix, or, is there something that I'm missing, because it's a Chinese clone?

It's because high quality, high performance machines need a lot of oil. OEM only needs half that much.

Latest posts