calling AOD: ?s your wood burning setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
i read in antother thread on here somewhere that you are using supervent at 13' height.
would that happen to be from lowes? curious about the rest of your setup.

my total chimney height is 14' from stove to cap and also uses supervent.
i have what you might call the 'lowes special'.
i have a very small century hearth stove with 6" supervent and one piece of telescoping 'superpipe' (special order), all from lowes. i even use boxed 'fatwood' from lowes to start it up.
the only lowes bullet i seem to have dodged was orange plastic saws!:dizzy:

you run something similar?
:cheers:

Sorta, some of it is from Lowes, some is from Menards. It goes through a small flat roof over my side porch. The flat roof makes chimney cleaning easy. The porch is completely occupied by the stove and about cord of wood ready to burn.

Stove1.jpg

Stove from the rear. The duct off the top is partly insulated. I have single wall pipe going up about 4 feet before it transitions to the Supervent. It's not as close to the wood as it looks, and it is a jacketed stove with an air plenum around it, so i has less strict clearances.

Stove2.jpg

Supervent adapter, I had to do a little custom fabrication to the ceiling flange so it can support part of the weight of the chimney from below. Therer is a bracket on the roof too, and it's rock solid. I have drywall behind the Supervent and a chunk of cement board below that directly behind the stove. The cement board never gets too hot to touch even when I am burning at 700*.

WoodCat.jpg

Wood cat looking for a new warm place to sleep.

pic swappin time

here is my stove. notice the paint is slowly flaking off and note the high tech convection-distribution device. pay no attention to the ashes all over the place.
PICT0717.jpg

here is the 'superpipe' telesopic stove pipe runnin to the ceiling support. superpipe is a lifetime double wall pipe. inner is stainless with 1/4" gap to the steel outer. the shelf/mantle is oak out of some 100 year old barn i milled up. and the hanging pegs on mantle are railroad spikes i snatched from the rails down the street.;) the guns are on big cut nails i cut and brazed into 'L' shapes. btw the knife on the wall was forged by my tatto guy. it was a reject only half done but it is pretty rustic looking so i tossed it up there.
PICT0718.jpg

i had to fab some stove locators for the pedestal. the glazed tile was too slippery and the stove would work it's way back with door action.
PICT0719.jpg

the guy kit closeup. my pipe is about 6' above the roof. 3' inside so i needed to guy it. the universal guy kit for the supervent is hard to find so i fabbed one up out of galvinized flat stock and some galv angles and stainless bolts. (when welding galv be sure to hold your breath!!!) .
PICT0722.jpg

like yours my enclosed porch has a near flat roof. very easy to use step ladder when cleaning. heres the buisness end of the supervent.
PICT0721.jpg

why did you extend your supervent below the ceiling support?

and where does the duct go?

you have cats?:dizzy:

I did not like having the single wall pipe and adapter so close to the combustible ceiling, I don't care what the mfg. and codes say, having the Supervent come down away from the ceiling gives me peace of mind. I get better draft and a cleaner, hotter chimney too.

The duct goes under my house, through the crawl space and dumps the hot air out a large cold air return in the living rm. I insulated the duct and can get up to 140* air out of it when I have a hot fire going. Only problem is the little blower on the stove doesn't have the power to move a lot of air down the duct, I need a bigger one but all the ones I find are way too big. The kitty likes sleeping on top of the wood piles where its nice and toasty.

The real question is, Is the cat a good mouser or a big lazy POS like my cat. I have had cats all my life and all have been good mousers till this one. :mad:

I did not like having the single wall pipe and adapter so close to the combustible ceiling, I don't care what the mfg. and codes say, having the Supervent come down away from the ceiling gives me peace of mind. I get better draft and a cleaner, hotter chimney too.

The duct goes under my house, through the crawl space and dumps the hot air out a large cold air return in the living rm. I insulated the duct and can get up to 140* air out of it when I have a hot fire going. Only problem is the little blower on the stove doesn't have the power to move a lot of air down the duct, I need a bigger one but all the ones I find are way too big. The kitty likes sleeping on top of the wood piles where its nice and toasty.

i like the duct idea! and a jacketed stove makes good sense. more of them should be i think. what is the primary heat source that the duct dumps in to?
i toyed with the idea of cutting a new return air for my central a/c behind/beneath the wood stove. i would have ducted it and left the original one in place and used dampers to switch between the two. in the end i felt that the convection distribution system i chose worked well enough (lazy).

talkin stoves? Heres mine and it is cookin' Old Nashua .also my ms460 stud DP big spikes that I use to cut wood. Yup been drinkin HA!!:cheers:
stuff167.jpg

talkin stoves? Heres mine and it is cookin' Old Nashua .also my ms460 stud DP big spikes that I use to cut wood. Yup been drinkin HA!!:cheers:
stuff167.jpg

throw that old saw on that fire and let er go!!! oh wait... i'm a stihl guy!
nevermind. you got the tile thing happening there too huh? mine meets the setback from the front but i still have melted carpet.:dizzy:

what is that big swollen knot on the top? is that the stovepipe?

Last edited:
That my friend is a poor mans humidifirer.. Don't laugh it's 20 degrees outside and 80 in here
stuff169.jpg

Last edited:
here is my stove. notice the paint is slowly flaking off and note the high tech convection-distribution device. pay no attention to the ashes all over the place.
PICT0717.jpg

here is the 'superpipe' telesopic stove pipe runnin to the ceiling support. superpipe is a lifetime double wall pipe. inner is stainless with 1/4" gap to the steel outer. the shelf/mantle is oak out of some 100 year old barn i milled up. and the hanging pegs on mantle are railroad spikes i snatched from the rails down the street.;) the guns are on big cut nails i cut and brazed into 'L' shapes. btw the knife on the wall was forged by my tatto guy. it was a reject only half done but it is pretty rustic looking so i tossed it up there.
PICT0718.jpg

i had to fab some stove locators for the pedestal. the glazed tile was too slippery and the stove would work it's way back with door action.
PICT0719.jpg

the guy kit closeup. my pipe is about 6' above the roof. 3' inside so i needed to guy it. the universal guy kit for the supervent is hard to find so i fabbed one up out of galvinized flat stock and some galv angles and stainless bolts. (when welding galv be sure to hold your breath!!!) .
PICT0722.jpg

like yours my enclosed porch has a near flat roof. very easy to use step ladder when cleaning. heres the buisness end of the supervent.
PICT0721.jpg

Nice clean setup. I also like the white flashing. I will post a pic or two of my woodburner. I was lucky to buy a house with a tile-lined chimney in the center of the house. All I had to do was cut a hole in it. That tile is hard stuff! Much harder than the brick. My hammer drill could barely get through it! The inside part involves a bit of redneckery to avoid heating up the lath and plaster in the wall. WIll post pics when I get a chance.

i like the duct idea! and a jacketed stove makes good sense. more of them should be i think. what is the primary heat source that the duct dumps in to?
i toyed with the idea of cutting a new return air for my central a/c behind/beneath the wood stove. i would have ducted it and left the original one in place and used dampers to switch between the two. in the end i felt that the convection distribution system i chose worked well enough (lazy).

I like the jacketed stove too, the outside gets hot but not hot hot. The duct dumps the hot air right out into my cold air return, it can work two ways, if the gas furnace is off, which it usually is, it rises up into the room through the floor grate. If the gas furnace is running the hot air mixes with the cold house air and "preheats" the air before it goes through the furnace. Come to think of it, my gas furnace hasn't run once this fall, and I don't think it'll be running anytime soon either.

Nice clean setup. I also like the white flashing. I will post a pic or two of my woodburner. I was lucky to buy a house with a tile-lined chimney in the center of the house. All I had to do was cut a hole in it. That tile is hard stuff! Much harder than the brick. My hammer drill could barely get through it! The inside part involves a bit of redneckery to avoid heating up the lath and plaster in the wall. WIll post pics when I get a chance.

the white flashing! don't get me going on that. i assume you mean where the roof steps at that little cheek wall. i paid to have the roof put on when i bought the place (8 years ago) as part of the purchase agreement. much to my dismay this was an example of the quality i recieved. i should have done it myself but it would have complicated my contract even more. i have since re-shingled the front and now there is no flashing as 'nice' as that out there!

tiles. did you try a tile boring bit? as long as you dont hit any pebbles in the clay you wouild probably do alright. i have a brick chimney lined with clay pipe. i almost used it for the stove. in the end i'm glad i didn't uz it would have been hot in a room we use alot. with the stove where it is now i can stoke it and be warm, not hot, elseware.

plaster in my experience does not burn well.... but you gotta watch out for lath! look forward to pics.

Last edited:
That my friend is a poor mans humidifirer.. Don't laugh it's 20 degrees outside and 80 in here
stuff169.jpg

who's laughing? it was just hard to make out in the pic.:) i have tried the pot humidifier but my stove usually isn't hot enough to do much with the water. my mom and pop used to use the pot on an old log stove we had years ago. it worked! the humidity makes all the difference!

Back