Oregon chains any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a stihl 361 180 460 and 025 I'm working on. Run stihl chains now. They are very good but pricey. Looking to switch to Oregon full chisel chains. Use old stihl ones in dirty situations.

How are Oregon chains? Last long between sharpen? Easy to sharpen? Can I use my stihl files to sharpen them.

They are softer than stihl and much cheaper. I usually touch up every other tank most of the time.

I run both. The Stihl in my opinion is a better chain, but you also pay for it. I use Oregon LGX. If I had to estimate on cutting Red Oak, I would say the LGX dulls 10-15% quicker than the Stihl.

I run some Oregon chains. They cut well but tend to dull easy. Especially full chisel chain in dirt. I have been running Oregon DG chain latley on my 385xp. DG chain is semi chisel chain. Iam going to put on a Stihl RM chain after wearing out the Oregon DG. Stihl RM chain tends to hold up good in dirty conditions. I cut Oaks that are big and slightly dirty. There is no picking them up off the ground to cut

I have no problem with Oregon chain, but while your on the subject of files, I'll say this-- the Oregon files I have cut more aggressively than the Stihl files I have. I did a little side by side comparison just the other day, on some Oregon chain with brand new files. Stihl files around here are 3 for $4.99, Oregon files are 2 for $6.50 to almost $7. I've been rat holing the Stihl files every time I walk into the True Value dealer and finally decided to try them. I was somewhat disappointed. Maybe they cut better on Stihl chain, I dont know. REJ2

I have a stihl 361 180 460 and 025 I'm working on. Run stihl chains now. They are very good but pricey. Looking to switch to Oregon full chisel chains. Use old stihl ones in dirty situations.

How are Oregon chains? Last long between sharpen? Easy to sharpen? Can I use my stihl files to sharpen them.

My take on this may be a bit controversial;

The Oregon LP is very good chain - better than Stihl RSC in .325, and about as good in 3/8".

It may need to be filed a tad more often, but is easier to file. Also, Stihl chain never can get a as sharp as Oregon with optimum filing, because of the thicker chrome on the Stihl. Have you ever heard of a saw racing chain that is Stihl?

The LP bore-cuts better, because of the raker design - in case you care.

Bottom line is that the LP is a better design, while the RSC may have a tad better quality (thicker chrome). :)

Lab tests (Rockwell scale) showed that the Oregon steel was harder than the Stihl one - but it doesn't feel that way to me........:confused:

Stihl files are fine on Oregon chain - but at least over here the Husky files are better than the Stihl ones. Files shouldn't be used for long anyway - they are expendables that need to be changed out pretty often!

Last edited:
Stihl chain seems to be harder so I don't see the files cutting any better on it. I bought a dozen of save edge files and they cut good. The dolmar dealer sells GB files for $6 a dozen and they do alright just not as good as the save edge. It only takes 2 or 3 strokes with a save edge to keep it pretty sharp.

Oregon uses Crusty Dog terds for thier cutter alloy, and renolds wrap for chrome. As noted by the whole gang, they don't hold up, but are nice and smooth, and easy to file. In thier defense, LGX is as fast as Stihl RSC for the first couple cuts.

Most of the time I can't cut for a full tank before needing the file when running LGX in stuff that hasn't been skided. Ya can't even walk past a dirty log with LGX on the saw without needing the file... don't even consider it.

If it's a price issue, and ya don't mind a bit more Vibe, Bailys/Carlton chisel holds up a hell of lot better, and is even cheaper than the Oregon Dog terds.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

oregon uses crusty dog terds for thier cutter alloy, and renolds wrap for chrome. As noted by the whole gang, they don't hold up, but are nice and smooth, and easy to file. In thier defense, lgx is as fast as stihl rsc for the first couple cuts.

Most of the time i can't cut for a full tank before needing the file when running lgx in stuff that hasn't been skided. Ya can't even walk past a dirty log with lgx on the saw without needing the file... Don't even consider it.

If it's a price issue, and ya don't mind a bit more vibe, bailys/carlton chisel holds up a hell of lot better, and is even cheaper than the oregon dog terds.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
ouch!!!

Oregon uses Crusty Dog terds for thier cutter alloy, and renolds wrap for chrome. As noted by the whole gang, they don't hold up, but are nice and smooth, and easy to file. In thier defense, LGX is as fast as Stihl RSC for the first couple cuts.

Most of the time I can't cut for a full tank before needing the file when running LGX in stuff that hasn't been skided. Ya can't even walk past a dirty log with LGX on the saw without needing the file... don't even consider it.

If it's a price issue, and ya don't mind a bit more Vibe, Bailys/Carlton chisel holds up a hell of lot better, and is even cheaper than the Oregon Dog terds.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Orygun chain is pretty good all across the board. I can grind Stihl chain to absolute dangerous sharp, but that extreme of an edge is not needed. It will actually hinder you in hard knots, the edge goes quicker. Stihl chain lets you know it's getting dull when it chatters. Oregon chain is hands down the smoothest cutting of all. Carlton is dog turds

Orygun chain is pretty good all across the board. I can grind Stihl chain to absolute dangerous sharp, but that extreme of an edge is not needed. It will actually hinder you in hard knots, the edge goes quicker. Stihl chain lets you know it's getting dull when it chatters. Oregon chain is hands down the smoothest cutting of all. Carlton is dog turds

thats all i have used is carlton,,,,,,,been many occasions i have cut all day long with 1 chain before i had to sharpen it,,,,,,,cut 1 day for over 6 hours in oak and hickory,,,i got worn out before the chain did

I like Oregon chain holds up well for me but then again I don't cut dirt or dirty logs as for the crew it doesn't matter what kind of chain it is they still beat the hell out of it. For the low stumps I use old chain that I just throw away when I am done.:cheers:

If you're cutting in dirty wood and using full chisel then it's a bit unfair to bag a chain brand if it goes blunt. I like Oregon LGX and the Stihl RSC I've tried. If they were the same price I'd use RSC but with the price of Stihl chain in Oz I'd use LGX anyday. In my experience they both hold up well in clean wood.
In semi chisel though Windsor/Carlton all the way.
I've used saws basically non stop all day and never thought "gee this chain is rough". Either my saws have the best anti-vibe in the world or some people are getting a bit precious when it comes to chainsaw vibrations :cheers:

I used to use stihl chain..... then I got a oregon full chisle.
stihl: stays sharp longer but stretches like a rubber band

Oregon have to sharpen a couple times a day but never have to tighten my chain.... and it's cheaper

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I might have degraded the Oregon chain in a different manner, but I wouldn't have made any better points than you have. I agree completely and I think that Oregon files are softer than Stihl's chain cutters.

I have taken Oregon files out of the box and used them and found that old rusty Stihl files at the bottom of the toolbox filed Stihl chain better faster.

I have no use for Oregon anything: bars too soft, chains too soft and stretch too much and their files are made of wood.

Oregon may work for homeowners and light use or those that don't make a living based on production, but for me its Stihl all the way and I used a lot of Carlton, before I made that decision.

I do want to try those Save Edge files. I see Baileys has them now.

Later and my opinion,

Sam

My take on this may be a bit controversial;

The Oregon LP is very good chain - better than Stihl RSC in .325, and about as good in 3/8".

It may need to be filed a tad more often, but is easier to file. Also, Stihl chain never can get a as sharp as Oregon with optimum filing, because of the thicker chrome on the Stihl. Have you ever heard of a saw racing chain that is Stihl?

The LP bore-cuts better, because of the raker design - in case you care.

Bottom line is that the LP is a better design, while the RSC may have a tad better quality (thicker chrome). :)

Lab tests (Rockwell scale) showed that the Oregon steel was harder than the Stihl one - but it doesn't feel that way to me........:confused:

Stihl files are fine on Oregon chain - but at least over here the Husky files are better than the Stihl ones. Files shouldn't be used for long anyway - they are expendables that need to be changed out pretty often!

Iagree with your post, I have used both and find the Stihl to be the softer chain, I don't think either cuts any better, the best quality files I have used are Echo files, I don't know who makes them for Echo but I have found them to outlast both Oregon and Stihl files.

I have always run Oregon 75lg or lgx and just recently got a Stihl RSC, by mistake, and have to say that the Oregon seems to hold an edge better for me. This is in clean standing cherry, hard and soft maple, and beech.

Like ST I like Oregon in .325 I used the 20LP and it was really nice chain. I'm using Carlton .325 now and I like it just as well. I did have some Oregon in .375, it was the Vanguard and I wasn't impressed. It didn't hold up well and the initial stretch was real bad.

Oregon is good chain. Like many things, it's how you use it/care for it. Stihl chain (RSC) has oil grooves stamped in it, so it lubricates a bit better, which may mean a longer life overall. I use both, and find no trouble with either.

+1!:agree2:

i have run the oregon chains for years. can't say they cause me any problems or cause for concern. i am currently running mostly stihl and a few WP's. they all seem to do the job well and sharpen easy. i can't find much fault in any of these brands of chain. i think i like stihl the best--but only by the slimmest of slim margins.

i think these guys having all the problems with the chains have other problems, like running the say into the dirt and rocks, don't know how to properly sharpen a chain, or how to trim the "dogs", and so on.:greenchainsaw:

They are softer than stihl and much cheaper. I usually touch up every other tank most of the time.

Same with me. If the Oregon chain only touches wood, fine, you can resharpen every other tank and it will cut well. Once I had the unfortunate luck of hitting a 4 mm soft steel rod stuck in the middle of a citrus tree with a "quality" Oregon chain.

I sharpened the chain to the original angles a couple of times and cut down a bit of the depth gauges, still, the chain would not cut properly. After careful examination, no dough the teeth were bent!

Back