Pros & Cons on New Husqvarna 365 and 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsell

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My friend needs to replace his 61 with a new Husky next year. He doesn't want auto tune. Is the 365 still the same saw as the 372 with the exception of the transfer covers? Are they still having crank bearing failures? Are they both strato saws? I also see there is a 465 which I assume is a consumer saw.

I believe the 465 is marketed as a consumer saw (same line as the 455, 460 ranchers), and is autotune if I am not mistaken.
Others will need to comment on the 365/372 specs for you.

I believe that there have been no major changes to the current 365-372 production. Usually the 365 has a low top air filter and the 372 a high top. I actually prefer the low top, but that's just personal preference. The crank bearings are not as huge a issue as people make them out to be, but yes they are not the strongest point on the saw. When I tear one down I always swap out the plastic cage bearings for the steel cage version.

It would probably be a non issue on a new saw, as long as he ran fatter than 50:1 mix. And had the carb adjusted accordingly. The 365-372 likes lots of oil.

Steven

Ok, so nothing has changed in that area. Do you run 32:1?

I do too because everything I own is set to 32:1. Just got 2 gallons of ethanol free last night. We are fortunate to have a pump in town with a dedicated hose for the premium and it's ethanol free. That's nice so I don't have to pump the first gallon in the car with those 1 hose for 3 grade pumps.

Are they strato designs?

I do too because everything I own is set to 32:1. Just got 2 gallons of ethanol free last night. We are fortunate to have a pump in town with a dedicated hose for the premium and it's ethanol free. That's nice so I don't have to pump the first gallon in the car with those 1 hose for 3 grade pumps.

Are they strato designs?

One of my 372's is a strato. And it's also the strongest stock saw I have. (Well except for a muff mod). It definitely likes the fatter mix.

It's in the trading post if you wanted to look at the exhaust side of the piston after running 32:1. It's pretty clean after approximately 30 tanks.

Steven

I believe the 465 is marketed as a consumer saw (same line as the 455, 460 ranchers), and is autotune if I am not mistaken.
Others will need to comment on the 365/372 specs for you.
Looks like you are correct on the auto tune 465. I looked at the Husky website at lunch. The 460 is only 3.6hp? That's pathetic.

One of the big cons I have heard about the 465 is the power to weight ratio.

They are slapping a 24" bar on those in the big box stores. One of the longest bars you can get on a consumer saw. Likely some marketing magic going on there.

Looks like you are correct on the auto tune 465. I looked at the Husky website at lunch. The 460 is only 3.6hp? That's pathetic.
The older 460's were rated at 3.8 but certainly didn't feel that strong IMO.

The 465 is rather new and not many folks have them. Spike60 had one at a gtg last spring and IIRC, folks liked it.

365/372 are time proven, well made saws. They are inboard clutch which some folks really like (and others do not :rolleyes:). I wouldn't hesitate to call the 372 as a top contestant in the "ultimate one saw plan" category.

Some saws run great out of the box and others take time to loosen up. My 2165 (red version of 365) got noticeably stronger after 10 tanks in.

- The design has been around for nearly 20 years.
- Parts are everywhere
- Easy to work on and understand
- Handling, power to weight, ergonomics, and versatility are all there in my opinion.
- Although not a practical reason, they're one sexy saw!

Ergonomics is more of a personal preference more so than something like power to weight ratio. I happen to like the angled front handle of the Huskys, although I haven't run a Jonsered for any extended period of time. 70cc saws are the perfect one saw plan(who has a plan like that? Crazy!) for wood around here anyway. The capability of running 18" to 28" bars and as much as 32" in a pinch is hard to argue with.

I didn't think I needed 70cc, but I wouldn't be without one now. I'll eventually have a 372 when everyone has moved on to something better. I sure like my 575.

I didn't think I needed 70cc, but I wouldn't be without one now. I'll eventually have a 372 when everyone has moved on to something better. I sure like my 575.
After running the bigger saws, I can't do without the torque and power a 70+cc has unless the limbs are very small.

But even then, I like the longer bars you can run on 70cc's. Makes it so much easier on your back and especially when cutting in thick brush/undergrowth.

There have been multiple threads on here debating the 1 saw plan with regard to the 60cc vs 70cc plan and I'm here to say the 70cc has to be the way to go. (I currently own a 60cc saw BTW)
The weight difference is negligible IMHO and the ability to run much longer bars and setups just opens many more doors.
When in doubt go bigger. You can always do a few more push-ups to prep the body for the extra added weight :)

There have been multiple threads on here debating the 1 saw plan with regard to the 60cc vs 70cc plan and I'm here to say the 70cc has to be the way to go. (I currently own a 60cc saw BTW)
The weight difference is negligible IMHO and the ability to run much longer bars and setups just opens many more doors.
When in doubt go bigger. You can always do a few more push-ups to prep the body for the extra added weight :)
Might I also add, or subtract to that.
If you need to loose a little weight just don't fill the tanks all the way up, and run lightweight bars for a few extra bucks, what the heck. If it's getting a little heavy running out of fuel sooner will be a bonus.

My friend needs to replace his 61 with a new Husky next year. He doesn't want auto tune. Is the 365 still the same saw as the 372 with the exception of the transfer covers? Are they still having crank bearing failures? Are they both strato saws? I also see there is a 465 which I assume is a consumer saw.
I've pretty much ran them all(except the 465), and the 365/2166 is a great 70cc saw just as they come out of the box. It will have a lot more power than the 61 and he will be happy with the weight, although they have gotten a little fat in some places, ok most places.
Once they break in he will really like them. Based on what you've told us, I would recommend he doesn't waste his money on the 372 as the 365 will do him just fine after running the 61 for years. He can always pull the jug and remove the transfers and grind the one little strip off it if he even desires to do so(he may not because it works great as is). Then there is a muffler mod and a base gasket delete still left on the table without even starting to grind on the cylinder itself.
Hope we can all see some pictures soon of the new saw :).
By the way the one @stevetheboatguy has for sale would make a great upgrade for him if he doesn't mind buying used, he shouldn't as he's been using old faithful quite a while it sounds like.
If he decides to buy new please ask him to support his local dealers first and then use one of the AS sponsors if he doesn't have good local support before buying of the net in general.
Best of luck,
Brett

I've pretty much ran them all(except the 465), and the 365/2166 is a great 70cc saw just as they come out of the box. It will have a lot more power than the 61 and he will be happy with the weight, although they have gotten a little fat in some places, ok most places.
Once they break in he will really like them. Based on what you've told us, I would recommend he doesn't waste his money on the 372 as the 365 will do him just fine after running the 61 for years. He can always pull the jug and remove the transfers and grind the one little strip off it if he even desires to do so(he may not because it works great as is). Then there is a muffler mod and a base gasket delete still left on the table without even starting to grind on the cylinder itself.
Hope we can all see some pictures soon of the new saw :).
By the way the one @stevetheboatguy has for sale would make a great upgrade for him if he doesn't mind buying used, he shouldn't as he's been using old faithful quite a while it sounds like.
If he decides to buy new please ask him to support his local dealers first and then use one of the AS sponsors if he doesn't have good local support before buying of the net in general.
Best of luck,
Brett

He can't buy until next year, but I got two quotes for him from site sponsors. One was $1139 with 20" bar, ouch! The other quote was good and I've seen a lot of positive about that sponsor, so if he goes 365 that will likely be his dealer. He wants Husky and I'm convinced that's the way he should go unless he buys used. Are the ignition coils lifetime guaranteed if you buy new from a dealer? Seems like I seen bits and pieces about that in the past.

He can't buy until next year, but I got two quotes for him from site sponsors. One was $1139 with 20" bar, ouch! The other quote was good and I've seen a lot of positive about that sponsor, so if he goes 365 that will likely be his dealer. He wants Husky and I'm convinced that's the way he should go unless he buys used. Are the ignition coils lifetime guaranteed if you buy new from a dealer? Seems like I seen bits and pieces about that in the past.
Not sure what the heck that guys problem is, was he in Canada or something :nofunny:. That much would buy a very nice saw :yes:, or a pretty good amount of firewood :blob2:.
Between now and a year from now there will be some pretty sweet deals if he's patient. Why should he buy something used if he doesn't buy new?
Not much with a lifetime guarantee these days, maybe your pulling my leg or something, cause I've not seen any bits or pieces about that, but I have been wrong a time or two(probably even this week lol).

No, not pulling your leg, maybe I took it out of context or imagined it, or wished for it. Just the coils, not the entire saw. Both sponsor quotes are in the USA.

Latest posts

Back