Looking for midsized saw recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes the term mid sized is so subjective, to the rest of your collection, what you cut etc. Some professional fallers never use anything below 70cc, so is that a small saw? The professional ranges at Stihl/husky start at about 45/50 cc.

Yes the term mid sized is so subjective, to the rest of your collection, what you cut etc. Some professional fallers never use anything below 70cc, so is that a small saw? The professional ranges at Stihl/husky start at about 45/50 cc.
Honestly for most normal people a 50cc saw with a 20” bar is more than enough. I rarely pull out my 28” bar. Most of the time it’s for cutting some huge silver maple or oak butt. Any other tree if you take the extra 2 minutes to walk around to finish your cut you’ll have no problem with a 20” bar. I hate pulling out big bars, smaller is better with saws, its more weight to carry and more teeth I have to sharpen.
Best Wishes!

Honestly for most normal people a 50cc saw with a 20” bar is more than enough. I rarely pull out my 28” bar. Most of the time it’s for cutting some huge silver maple or oak butt. Any other tree if you take the extra 2 minutes to walk around to finish your cut you’ll have no problem with a 20” bar. I hate pulling out big bars, smaller is better with saws, its more weight to carry and more teeth I have to sharpen.
Best Wishes!
Yup same here. 50cc and 16 inch bar is mid go-to saw and I mostly do hardwood storm clear up. I only use bigger saws if I'm blocking up massive logs or milling.

I tried to push my son towards something a little more robust but after just spending 2200.00 on roof repairs, he is trying to stay at or under 300.00. I am still going to watch for a good 50cc "firewood" grade saw for him on the used side. When I exfil the US for the last time, I will leave him my 562XP.

365 Special is also a good bet for all around use with a 18" oder 20" bar.
Very dependable saw with tons of parts support all around the world.
Very good firewood saw also.

I have a similar use of saws here in the UK. Clearing two acres of hardwood to me means the 261 is undersized. I pick mine up a lot and love it but it feel a poor fit IMHO with the 660.
The one between my 261 and 064 that I use most is my 361. Can find them fairly cheap and last for ever. Similar feelings for my 044. A ported 044 version is a lovely saw but then you're getting a bit close to the 660,
So I'd suggest ms400 if you can buy new or a 361 if you can't splash the cash or like the classic feel.

I think you've got it right just use that 026
20 inch bar full skip chain rsf. 48cc 50cc sounds like a mid ranger to me

Back