Dolmar 7900 Coil Limiter... Why

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtheo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have done a google search and as of now there does not seem to be an unlimited coil available.

The question I have is : Is the limited coil part of an effort to meet EPA regs, or is there some other reason?

It seems to me that the limited coil keeps the saw from developing full power, but I might not understand the process.

Wish I knew the reason, and I am sure a lot of the guys here do know the reason.. Thanks

I have done a google search and as of now there does not seem to be an unlimited coil available.

The question I have is : Is the limited coil part of an effort to meet EPA regs, or is there some other reason?

It seems to me that the limited coil keeps the saw from developing full power, but I might not understand the process.

Wish I knew the reason, and I am sure a lot of the guys here do know the reason.. Thanks

These saws turn 9 to 10 thousand RPM when cutting and a limited coil has no effect whatsoever, make tuning them a little harder as one can mistake the limited coil for 4 stroking and set it to lean. Steve

a limited coil is used to prevent reving too high when the engine is not under load. It makes no difference at all when actually cutting but you need to tune in the wood to get the best tune on the saw.

These saws turn 9 to 10 thousand RPM when cutting and a limited coil has no effect whatsoever, make tuning them a little harder as one can mistake the limited coil for 4 stroking and set it to lean. Steve

a limited coil is used to prevent reving too high when the engine is not under load. It makes no difference at all when actually cutting but you need to tune in the wood to get the best tune on the saw.

Bingo.......absolutely no reason for it!!!

That answers another question that was on my mind.

Since I joined this forum, I have learned a lot from the good folks here. One thing I learned was that I needed to get off my butt and learn how to tune my saws. I have learned to do it with a lot of help from a good friend.

But... trying to tune the 7900 with a tach, the RPM are just jumping all over. 9000, 12000. maybe back to something in between. My friend tunes by ear, but I have too much of a hearing loss to do that.

So why does Dolmar use a limited coil? They think someone is going to hold one WOT and blow it up?

Yup. . . It limits the max RPM's so folks don't blow the saw up. Don't know why they'd care? The more saws guys blow up, the more the manuf. would sell. ;)

Why limited coils?

From a company's standpoint it kills three birds with one stone:

1.It helps the company meet EPA regs.

2.Now the company will probably never have to replace a blown engine under warranty.

3.makes it nearly impossible to tune properly, so chances are when the warranty is up, so are the piston/cylinder/rings. OEM parts are costly so again the company wins.

The best way to tune a saw with a limited coil is in the wood, like others have said. I made this video to give people a good idea how it's done.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulY5sU4axFQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulY5sU4axFQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's because you're into the rev limiter. Also, you can't tune the 7900 by ear at WOT. You'll have to do it in the wood. It's the only way you can tune one of these.

So what should I be listening for when in the wood? Surely not 4 stroking and not max rpm so what then?

The best way to tune a saw with a limited coil is in the wood, like others have said. I made this video to give people a good idea how it's done.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulY5sU4axFQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ulY5sU4axFQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I am having trouble picking up on what I should be hearing. Can you expound?

So you tune the same just under load.... not free spinning. So 4 stroke then lean her out just a little right?

So you tune the same just under load.... not free spinning. So 4 stroke then lean her out just a little right?

Correct. In a small log you want just a hair of burble, in a bigger log it should run without much or any burble. The best way to tune the saw is with the saw warmed up and with the bur buried.

Last edited:
Thanks..... I have a 15 inch soft maple log out back to work with. As it is I timed my 361 against the 7900 and the times were 361...13.16 sec. 7900...9.76 sec. Maybe my 7900 is tuned pretty close right now.

Back