066 Magnum Cylinder & Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim, if you open your mufler and don't rejet or adjust richer, you can ruin your engine. I would have to agree with Huskyman, higher octain, cooler engine.

I run 6 saws and work on them in the evening, i know how to adjust the carb... got a stihl tach if i think i am wrong.

the "power tuning in the cut" I see at almost all dealerships is tuning by ear or by a tach. I have yet to see anyone making wood discs in the back at any saw dealership.

Originally posted by tundraotto
the "power tuning in the cut" I see at almost all dealerships is tuning by ear or by a tach. I have yet to see anyone making wood discs in the back at any saw dealership.

^
Needs to swing by my shop :D

40" maple about 20 feet long layin back there. Sawdust everywhere. I test cut with every saw i work on.

Otto doesn't frequent local dealerships. He buys everything online. What he meant to say was that the online dealerships do not have anyone making wood discs out back.

au contraire brian - I visit them (usually just to look at the prices), but I buy everything from the place that offers me the best value for money. Be it a dealer or a online store, went to my dealer and paid $2 more for an extra sprocket ($5.95 + tax@ 8.375%) when I needed one and didn't want to wait (at the time the better value for money). So no wooden discs (or any wood to cut for that matter) so far at the dealership since last Thursday. Thanks for noticing - I still can't seem to get on your ignore list.:p

Originally posted by JimL
^
Needs to swing by my shop :D

How much for an 088 or an 066? - I would like to buy from a good dealer, but never mind; stihl wont allow sales over the phone/mail/internet/email......same old crap. I'm stuck with what I have and its a big stihl shop for around here, dont know about elsewhere (around 50 saws on the rack)...husky dealer has only about 20, but he's on the ball.

Jim, pistons do not melt unless the mixture is lean, if you know how to adjust, then even with an air leak , you would know that the saw was not taching correctly, some small air leaks can even be adjusted out with a richer mix, not saying this is correct. Better than 90% of the time if a saw has an air leak it will be detected during a carburator adjustment.
P.S. bk without a thermalcouple the gas point is only debatable, but on a hot day give me high test.

chunks

Always keep wood around to cut, put it in wood stove when done with it.
Air leaks seem to show up at idle if large, small ones (usually vacuum) seem to show up more noticable as tough adjustment. I like to take the idle speed adj all the way out to stall the saw. If it does not stall, I start looking for the leak now. A really large air leak won't idle at all.

Nice test Stiltech! A saw that will still idle with the throttle plate closed is getting its air somewhere else.

Back