066 vs. Husqvarna 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you really need the power, either the 395 or 066 is way too big and thirsty for a firewood saw. My goto firewood saw is a dolmar 5100 or a ms361. Both sport 18” bars. On the odd day, I might break out a 372xp or my Makita 6401. Short bars are the way to go for firewood. I have 2 395xp. Great saws and smooth as southern sippin liquor but they are like a cinderblock with a handle. The ms660 is much more compact but you need cortisone shots after running one. If you have a severe firewood saw inferiority complex, get a 3120. It’s like 2 cinderblocks with a handle.

Unless you really need the power, either the 395 or 066 is way too big and thirsty for a firewood saw. My goto firewood saw is a dolmar 5100 or a ms361. Both sport 18” bars. On the odd day, I might break out a 372xp or my Makita 6401. Short bars are the way to go for firewood. I have 2 395xp. Great saws and smooth as southern sippin liquor but they are like a cinderblock with a handle. The ms660 is much more compact but you need cortisone shots after running one. If you have a severe firewood saw inferiority complex, get a 3120. It’s like 2 cinderblocks with a handle.

My go to saw that cuts most of my firewood is my 026 its a good little saw but i tend to get into some ash and oak that my 026 just cant handle,reason for asking is ive run across a couple used but in great shape husqvarnas im on a budget so i hve to save money over new when at all possible

Keep your 066 either way,(you'll regret it in 6 months if you don't) but adding a good 70cc saw would be smart. Get a 441-cm get it ported (or not) and you probably won't use the 66 much anyway. 441 has all that is good about Husky (AV, filtration, etc.) with bars that will swap with your 066. Plus the 441 uses very little fuel but has torque that far exceeds expectations for its displacement. The 441 seems like it is angry at the wood! After I am done cutting I always feel like I have to calm it down, like a buddy that just got done whipp'n some a** in a bar fight!

I own all three models you have mentioned and i would use either husqvarna before i would the 660. The 288 to me is as simple a design as they come and i like that. The power to weight ratio with the 288 just seems really good to but the vibes are not as good as 660 and suck compared to 395.

Different AV mounts exist for the 288xp as well......

I don't understand the filter issue. Unless you are milling or cutting in the desert or in Australia with some of that casuarina(I blame Matt and Al for the fact I even know what that is), I see filters as a non-issue on all those saws mentioned. Get the saw that fits the job, your pocketbook, and feels good to you. I have a lot of respect for the 066. If you already have one, keep it.

395xp

The 395xp is by far a superior saw to the 066 in so many ways . They are a much tougher saw, big bearing ,better AV, better filtration, only 1lb moreand so much more saw , very easy to use power band , and enough torque to rip the chain in 2 or take off drivers. If you put a MM and a 8 or 9 pin sprocket and a good sharp chain full-comp of coarse and hang on and if you really want some power get it ported by ECsaws. Or a 390 done by him very impressive.

own and use them both professionally (Aussie models) the 066 is a awesome saw!!!! best stihl pro saw ever! And the 395XP is just pure awesome, best saw period!!! I bought one 395XP and a week latter i just had to buy another :biggrin: I'm always using the 395xp over the 066 its just better and the filter stays 100% cleaner ..tho the 066/660 is the only saw "Ill" ever consider when buying a stihl saw. If buying Husky Ill go anything XP (non-strato)

Glad i didnt throw a jonsered into the mix lol....i guess my next saw will be the one i get the best deal on

well i have a 066 and i had a 385xp. i sold the 385 to my buddy and i still regret it. ive never ran a 390 or a 395 but my old 385 kept up fine with the 066. it was a hell of alot smoother doing it too. granted we only compared with 24" bars. the 066 can pull my 36" bar just fine. i cant say the 385 would as i never tried it. if i had to pick one brand i would choose husky over stihl but sthil dosent make a crappy saw. either one would serve you many many years.

In my opinion, if you are going Husky, and are not using a 48" bar all day, I would sure get a 390 over a 395.

I have used the 390 felling trees and its a good saw, years ago, I was close to going with the AV systems of big huskies over the 660's I had, due to 10+ hour days running saws, and bad nerve damage to my hands/wrists, but ended up going with modded 441's instead and have never really seen the point in stock 90cc saws after that move. I actually still don't see the point in the modded 660 I was running yesterday along side the 441 CM, both 28" bars.

It would have to be one big bar 36" or bigger, before you realize much if any increased production over a well modded 70cc Husky or Stihl. I'm not talking just cookie cutting times, but overall cutting production with a 36" bar, the gap would be slim at the end of the day.

Sam

Latest posts

Back