066 vs. Husqvarna 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have made a living with both (394 not 395), I like the 66 better. Handles a lot nicer. Not as smooth though. 394 is easier to wrench on. Still prefer the 66 for work. A little more nimble for log lengthing.

From what ive seen of the husqvarna's filter system vs. my 066 you hit the nail on the head there,any thoughts on the 288xp as well?
Yeah the 288 can run with any saw ever made including any of today's saws. I t is very powerful and you can do anything with it. Very durable you can find them a t fair prices. Like Nikko said you can do some AV work. Very capable saw. All the saws you have mentioned are in this category, and will make you happy. I have a 660 awesome saw. I would take a 395-288 any day.

Yeah the 288 can run with any saw ever made including any of today's saws. I t is very powerful and you can do anything with it. Very durable you can find them a t fair prices. Like Nikko said you can do some AV work. Very capable saw. All the saws you have mentioned are in this category, and will make you happy. I have a 660 awesome saw. I would take a 395-288 any day.

So there you are. Im sitting over there in the Muscle Thread calling you out and your over here letting the cat out of the bag about the 288! Thought we was keeping that model for ourselves?

Doubt i would really sell it needs a piston...maybe cylinder but might use it for trading

CAD is about aquisiton. It does not involve getting rid of anything. Shame on you for even thinking of unloading the 66. Soon as you do- you will need it. Believe me.

So there you are. Im sitting over there in the Muscle Thread calling you out and your over here letting the cat out of the bag about the 288! Thought we was keeping that model for ourselves?
LOL! Cant keep it a secret, its just too good!

I'm a stihl man but ran 395xp's along side 066's and 660's for about 6 months every day. Let's just lay down straight away that 066's have more pull than 660's. 390XP's are a better saw the 395's. if your 066 doesnt pull harder than the 395 then there's something wrong with it.

Both are top examples from their respective manufacturers to be sure. It comes down largely to preference. The HD2 filter is available for stihl if filtration is an issue, and the stihl is lighter and gruntier in my opinion and will pull more chain. The husky look/feel appeals to some, and I'm a big fan of the smaller husky saws though I dont own any, 340e is a great saw, but to me the 395 looks and handles like a russian tank.

Biggest problem we had with 395's was the chain brake. It gets hung up on the muffler and melts. The screws work loose pretty often, and the screws are all a different size. We have a big box of husky screws, and a small container of stihl ones. The husky mufflers also seem to crack or rust/break earlier than stihl, but the husky clutches seem a bit more reliable.

You can make excuses and pros/cons for either build so run whichever you like.

Shaun

I have used both, and prefer the 395 for bucking big hardwood (30" plus) it just seems to have more torque, and feels more balanced to me for this job, but the guys that do the falling prefer the 660, they say its more nimble?

I have used both, and prefer the 395 for bucking big hardwood (30" plus) it just seems to have more torque, and feels more balanced to me for this job, but the guys that do the falling prefer the 660, they say its more nimble?

Im just a firewood guy but I do tend to get into some pretty big ash and oak i dont sell wood very often(probably should my back yard looks like beavers live here) so the 066 doesnt get used much maybe if i put a smaller bar on it but then i would think it would be a little much

Im just a firewood guy but I do tend to get into some pretty big ash and oak i dont sell wood very often(probably should my back yard looks like beavers live here) so the 066 doesnt get used much maybe if i put a smaller bar on it but then i would think it would be a little much

I like the part of in parenthesis.... never heard it put like that. I've been giving wood away to members of my church bc my wife said I cant cut anymore or bring any more home until some of the wood is gone- so the wood has to go.

steven

So....I guess im going to attempt the rebuild of my 066 ive never tackled a chainsaw before i really wish i knew what scored it in the first place tho

So....I guess im going to attempt the rebuild of my 066 ive never tackled a chainsaw before i really wish i knew what scored it in the first place tho

I got faith in ya! Id defiently figure out what scored it in the first place.....If ya don't it could happen again.

I sure would, 066 is top shelf. It could have been anything Air leak? Or carb adjustment lean? Dirty air filter?

I got faith in ya! Id defiently figure out what scored it in the first place.....If ya don't it could happen again.

that saw gets dirty fast and i mean real fast....closer inspection reveals the air filter cover is not correct and somebody did some alternative engineering to make it fit....also the muffler came loose while i was running it, piton is scored on the exhaust side,some cylinder scoring but i think its below where the piston bottoms out and ive cleaned the cylinder up pretty good

Yeah racing chain most likely air leak. Crank seal, intake boot, fuel line. Since you got it down I would go over it with a fine tooth comb take your time, plenty of good help here.

I have never ever ever ran stock to stock 066 vs 395's and have a 066 bet the 395 . In fact when I first started to be a faller I used a no de-comp muffler modded 066 and we where cutting all of the high grade and large hardwood from a huge investment groups land 4 foot red oak all day long and one day the 066 was giving me problems and the other crew that was also logging the land they where running stock 395's and the cutter had a 4 month old 395 that he wanted to sell for $375 so I bought it and went back to work I never touch the 066 ever again so much more torque it isn't even a contest even though they are so similar in cc's and the 066 has a longer stroke and they still can't hang with a 395. I even know for a fact in the right hands a modded 390xp can be made to run better than a modded 660 and they are only 87.7 cc's that is about a 5 cc difference the 066/660 are 91.6 or 91.2 something like that. So a 395 at 93.4 is alot closer and a modded 395 is a monster I bet I am working in getting a 395 to mod but honestly I have never saw the point they are already a very powerful saw. Needless to say I have never owned another Stihl. Now that been said I do not think that they are a bad saw I just prefer Husqvarna's , Solo's, and Dolmar's . I actually run a Simonized 7900 for most of the time now . And I think the next one will be a ECsaws 7901 with the new style piston.

Yeah racing chain most likely air leak. Crank seal, intake boot, fuel line. Since you got it down I would go over it with a fine tooth comb take your time, plenty of good help here.

the crank seal would be the part that i would have the least confidence in

And for the record i see it now says im a senior member,this in no way means i know much at all it simply means i talk a lot

Latest posts

Back