066 vs. Husqvarna 395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never ever ever ran stock to stock 066 vs 395's and have a 066 bet the 395 . In fact when I first started to be a faller I used a no de-comp muffler modded 066 and we where cutting all of the high grade and large hardwood from a huge investment groups land 4 foot red oak all day long and one day the 066 was giving me problems and the other crew that was also logging the land they where running stock 395's and the cutter had a 4 month old 395 that he wanted to sell for $375 so I bought it and went back to work I never touch the 066 ever again so much more torque it isn't even a contest even though they are so similar in cc's and the 066 has a longer stroke and they still can't hang with a 395. I even know for a fact in the right hands a modded 390xp can be made to run better than a modded 660 and they are only 87.7 cc's that is about a 5 cc difference the 066/660 are 91.6 or 91.2 something like that. So a 395 at 93.4 is alot closer and a modded 395 is a monster I bet I am working in getting a 395 to mod but honestly I have never saw the point they are already a very powerful saw. Needless to say I have never owned another Stihl. Now that been said I do not think that they are a bad saw I just prefer Husqvarna's , Solo's, and Dolmar's . I actually run a Simonized 7900 for most of the time now . And I think the next one will be a ECsaws 7901 with the new style piston.

Id like to know more about the FACT that a modded 390xp can beat a modded 660.....Thats pretty tall order IMO. I know you have ran EC saws and so have I. But have ya ever ran a tree monkey 660? I have and and it was faster than my EC ported 2094. But your right, in the right hands makes all the difference. Dont take me the wrong way, that just my experience. If i were you i would seriously consider Scott Kunz aka tree monkey. I will eventually have a tree monkey 395 lol......Those 395's are stronger for sure.....BTW, I bet that Simonized saw is nice for sure. Alls' Im sayin is run a tree monkey 660 before ya decide that 390 will beat one. Im sure a modded 390 can in some case beat a 660....again like you say, just depends who doin the modding....

Last edited:
I have never ever ever ran stock to stock 066 vs 395's and have a 066 bet the 395 . In fact when I first started to be a faller I used a no de-comp muffler modded 066 and we where cutting all of the high grade and large hardwood from a huge investment groups land 4 foot red oak all day long and one day the 066 was giving me problems and the other crew that was also logging the land they where running stock 395's and the cutter had a 4 month old 395 that he wanted to sell for $375 so I bought it and went back to work I never touch the 066 ever again so much more torque it isn't even a contest even though they are so similar in cc's and the 066 has a longer stroke and they still can't hang with a 395. I even know for a fact in the right hands a modded 390xp can be made to run better than a modded 660 and they are only 87.7 cc's that is about a 5 cc difference the 066/660 are 91.6 or 91.2 something like that. So a 395 at 93.4 is alot closer and a modded 395 is a monster I bet I am working in getting a 395 to mod but honestly I have never saw the point they are already a very powerful saw. Needless to say I have never owned another Stihl. Now that been said I do not think that they are a bad saw I just prefer Husqvarna's , Solo's, and Dolmar's . I actually run a Simonized 7900 for most of the time now . And I think the next one will be a ECsaws 7901 with the new style piston.

I'd pay $375 for a 395 lol

Never run a 395. all good points made for sure. I am not brand biased I have two Stihl, and Two Husky's for my front runners. If other brands were here woulda had em too I'm sure. That being said I hear a lot of rave about the 390, and would love to own one. But too many people have forgotten history, and put the 288 behind them. The 288 held neck, and neck or surpassed many in the big wood's. Wearing up to a 42 inch bar. It needs credit and it is due. The 390 is sweet I am sure, but the 288 is nowhere near obsolete.

Never run a 395. all good points made for sure. I am not brand biased I have two Stihl, and Two Husky's for my front runners. If other brands were here woulda had em too I'm sure. That being said I hear a lot of rave about the 390, and would love to own one. But too many people have forgotten history, and put the 288 behind them. The 288 held neck, and neck or surpassed many in the big wood's. Wearing up to a 42 inch bar. It needs credit and it is due. The 390 is sweet I am sure, but the 288 is nowhere near obsolete.

the price on a good used 288 is usually pretty attractive i would really like to try one out, that or a 281 which looks to be a good compromise between the 70 cc saws and the monsters( yes i do consider an 066 a monster)

Latest posts

Back