12 volt grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a portable 12 volt grinder for days like today when I really tear up a chain on a bunch of bullets that some jerk shot into the base of an oak tree. I've had several tough days lately - rocks, nails, and even an old deer bone stuck in partially hollowed out oak trees. Anyway, I thought about getting a grinder to reduce my filing time and increase my cutting time. Does anyone have a brand that they really like and would reccomend? And I know that if I wouldn't hit this stuff it wouln't happen. I've been careful looking first but have just had bad luck.

they are not bad for what u are talking about. then finish the edge with a file.
i used one on a old chain on my poulan xxv yesterday.best top handle cutter i ever had.yep thats what i said. .

Paul, please do not take offense here; there is none intended. Buttt, generally I have not had that great of success with those hand held grinders; guys who will mess a chain up with a file will just mess them up faster with the grinder. Many of them that are purchased are thrown aside and not used.

I feel it is a better plan to carry extra chain loops, then invest in one of the Efco type wheel grinders. If you don't want to spend that much (maybe $275) just take the loops somewhere and have them ground to get them back to where you can file them.

I'm not intending to say you can't file, its just fact that on average about 75% of a cross section of people can't file or hand grind very well. Most of the pros can, most of the amatures cannot.

When I was about 23 and knew ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING, I had one of those $35 hand held 12v grinders. I got pretty good at sharpening myself, but the bits were pricy and did not last long at all. I always took too much metal, also.

The best thing about that grinder is that it got me away from paying $4-$5 per loop for sharpening and got me one step closer to getting good with a hand file. I used that grinder for about 18 months, but it was an important step in my learning how to hold my angles for hand filing.

I dug that old thing out a few months ago and it still worked! I used it as a makeshift 'Dremel' tool for muffler mods on my 026.

My Dad's got a Stihl 12v Grinder( I don't remember who makes them for Stihl-Granberg?). He loves it- I have one in the toolbox that I never use. I prefer a file. The tme it takes is about the same-he DOES beat me when the chains are badly damaged. Considering the cost of files and the cost of bits they probably cost about the same to use. 165 is right about it being a handy 12v dremel tool !:D

Thanks for the advice, I've had a couple of days to think about it and I think I will hold off a while longer before I decide to buy one. I'm just interested in it for fixing up really bad chains in the field but I might try a few xtra chains and a bench grinder instead. Thanks for the idea Tony and no offense was taken. I'm getting alot better with a file and enjoy doing it until I have really bad days and don't feel like spending alot of time fixing messed up chains. Thanks again.

Back