$150 038 super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well. I went into work to do the sharpening tonight, I see the manager bring back a 038 super and check it over, and run it.
I just looked a away and kept going. I got a chance to look at it and found quite a bit wrong but not too bad.

So I asked my boss how much and he said 150 as it sits :D

So I brought it home. It will fit right in next to my 038 Mag.

Parts that are bad, 3 lower mounts, metal plate that covers adjustment screw, 2 new caps, new air filter, plug, carb kit, fuel line, bar and chain, sprocket.

Cat had a .325 chain on a 3/8 bar and sprocket.

End up with $250 into it and have a fun toy :D

Great find, Jim

The scary part is that the condition of this saw is probably typical for the average 'forum newbie' writing in here asking for help with his saw. Easy to fix if you know how to maintain a saw properly, but darn near impossible to explain to someone who can't tell if the chain is on backwards. :dizzy:

Re: Great find, Jim

Originally posted by treeclimber165
The scary part is that the condition of this saw is probably typical for the average 'forum newbie' writing in here asking for help with his saw. Easy to fix if you know how to maintain a saw properly, but darn near impossible to explain to someone who can't tell if the chain is on backwards. :dizzy:

Bad thing is the guy was best friends with the guy I sell alot of logs to. He came in with him. SHould have told him what he had, traded it on a 039 :eek:

Mounts

The guy is better off with a Homelite from HD or Lowes. Doesn't matter what he buys, it won't cut if he doesn't know how to maintain it.
Those mounts look similar to the mounts on my 038Mag about a year after I bought it. I was a kid and hadn't learned how to keep a chain sharp yet. I forced the saw a lot, till I learned how to use it. Got 10 years out of the replacement mounts.

Yep a poulan would have worked.
Saw was filthy.
I put new mounts in every saw I buy with the exception of my 020av, My 038 mag, 038 super, 028 super, and the 7 066 mags i have pieced together.

New mounts, airfilter, fuel lines, fuel filter, and sprockets for everyone of them.

Some got a carb kit and some didn't

I guess this is a dual port model, it has 2 ports in the muffler.

Latest posts

Back