2-stroke fanatics, you gotta do this!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I know this board is full of folks that love that 2-stroke whine and smell. You have to go to a local kart race if there are any in your area. I live in Texas and attended a local kart track and it was AMAZING!!! Cost me only $5 to watch for 5 hours and if you like 2-strokes as much as me this is the best display of them I have ever seen. Classes range from 5 year olds on 50cc karts to 74 year olds on 125cc. Many run the Yamaha KT 100 (air cooled, no shifter). The 125 and 80cc "shifter" carts are incredible. They run highly modified dirt bike engines. Most use Phillips B32 racing gas and synthetic oil. Shift points are 12000-13500 and they do this for 8 laps on a 1/2 mile paved road course. If you haven't been you must go - I guarantee a good time. Sorry this is off subject but I hated to not give a "heads up" since I know the majority of the people on this board would truly enjoy kart racing.

BIG,
Karting is one of the biggest sources of modifcation information for saw builders. The pipe on my 3120 KD is modified from a Yamaha KT-100 kart engine. Ken Dunn is very well read in regard toward kart engine modifications.

What your saying doesn't surprise me, dbabcock. I know this isn't a karting forum but I'm surprised more discussion hasn't been brought up about kart motors here as they relate to chainsaw motors. What an absolute blast. I want to drive one so bad I can't stand it. I was raised on ATV's, watercraft, etc. but these karts take the cake. They are easily hauled in a truck bed, relatively simple and race on a clean, paved track. Funny how I undoubtedly saw karts tuned by numerous different engine builders yet they were all pretty evenly matched on the track.

Ken tells me that this kart stuff went hand-in-hand with saws way back in the early 60's. Mac even made a kart version of one of their saw engines (I think it was the 125, but don't hold me to that). The AH-58 motor that's in my David Bradley saw was a real popular kart motor back then. Turbonique was a company that specialized in rocket and turbine applications back then. They put some really outrageous 150+ HP motors in karts in the 60's. Top speeds went way over 200 MPH back then. At the drag strip, karts were blowing off top fuel rail dragsters of the era. I guess today, some of these karts are real dangerous, especially when they go off the track sideways and flip over without roll bars. Maybe I can get Ken on here (or the OT forum) to talk about the "kart connection" sometime in the near future. It's fascinating stuff.

You are right about the 125 mac having cart motors when i worked in Northern Cali. in the late 70s, the hardcore mac 125 users had , some with red, white, and blue, flag colored kart motors on there saws since they could'nt buy anymore new 125s.

Back