2024 garden season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cant cover 4.5 acres here so at the mercy of the airborne chemicals all the time. most of the summer squash this year never put the first one on. only got a half dozen total and they were very poor quality.
For sweet potato plants, I just bury the whole tuber in one of my earth boxes whole and cover with the mix and get more plants than I can use from them. Just took the last 2 dozen out last night and planted them. Deanne at the local nursery gave us 1,500 tomato, pepper , and basil plants that she had left over from sales this year so we planted them.
About 250 basil plants in the lot which I have not a clue what that stuff is good for but I planted it anyway!
When we cooked yellow beans they lost all color, looked just like green ones which also lose the color when cooked.
Heading out to take a couple dozen small heads of cabbage and a bunch of onions to the mission . I planted Early Golden Acre cabbage this year cause everybody bitched about my 25 pound megatons that I used to grow! These are small but sweet and tender so I guess all is not lost! Still miss my Megatons! lol!
Sweetcorn is 3 feet tall this year and probably wont pollinate since its so hot and dry.
Dug 1 potato plant up and only had 1 decent potato under it and not many little ones. Plants are starting to die out and never did put seed balls on them.
The late planted greenbeans are 8 inches tall now and did germinate this time, FINALLY! Third time planting them! Only the first planting of sweet corn came up. The other 3 plantings never did come, just rotted in the ground. Too dry for it to actually germinate I guess.
Thats about it for now. Farm waterways need mowing again and I still need to finish fixin the back tractor tire, bout have the rim ready to put the tire and tube back on.
The pollinator mix is kickin azz on the farm so at least that is one good thing! AND I found a bee guy to put 10 or 12 hives of bees in the field!
Big old storm went over,--not a drop of rain from it.
The indoor jungle cactus had 9 blooms on it the other night.
My garden is about the same. Little germination and on my third planting.

You need to research how to make your own sweet potato slips.
I cut one in half, drill some 3" screws in the middle to support it in a quart jar of water in April.
Keep it warm, mine are in the cellar with the wood stove.
Keep the water topped up.
When the shoots are about 6" tall, break them off & stick in a glass of water on a window sill.
Usually ready to plant by mother's day.
Try one now, just to practice & you'll see how easy.
A single potato can give you 8 or 10 slips.
I don't know whey they call em slips.
How's this?

DSC00158.JPG

Looking good Del. Maters at produce auction were wholesaling at $2-3 per lb, yesterday.

Thanks for the tip.

We have a local farmers market I may try out. For now we are freezing and canning but we've got a lot more tomatoes coming on.

We are comparing Hossinator and Better Boy and Better Boy is winning. Hossinator is a quite firm slicer and must have been bred for shipping ability.

I was just reading about Better Boy Plus which we will be growing next years. Plus in every area over Better Boy. I didn't know about it until yesterday.

1/2 of our Yukon Gold harvest. The dollar bill is for scale. We will be planting 50 tennis ball size whole for our fall crop. We've got Yukon Gem growing and they will likely be replacing our Yukon Gold in a year or two.

Yukon gold 7-3-2024 Asparagus seedlings 002.JPG

About 90 Atlas and Apollo all male hybrid asparagus seedlings.
Yukon gold 7-3-2024 Asparagus seedlings 005.JPG

12 volunteers from our Jersey Knight asparagus patch of 50 crowns. The circular seeds pods in the background are Money Plant, and we spread these seeds around.
Yukon gold 7-3-2024 Asparagus seedlings 006.JPG

These are various new fig cultivars for us this year. Most are from un-rooted cuttings I bought this winter. We've got 7 good sized Brown Turkey trees in the ground and have had for ten years or so. One for 20 years which the others are cutting from. The piece of culvert if for wood ashes from our wood stove and we use them on our garden and spread extra around the place mostly in the woods. I'm lubing our 1984 Snapper RER Hi-Vac mower. It's what we bag grass clippings and leaves with for the garden. A quite collectible mower if you are into that kind of stuff. 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4 12 valve with camper box.
Yukon gold 7-3-2024 Asparagus seedlings 003.JPG

A few more garden shots from today:

Better Boy and Hossinator tomatoes. Blight is creeping up the plants as the season progress despite being mulched with grass clippings to reduce soil splash, which is how the blight gets on the plants to start with. The rain splash carries the blight up the plants. Also working the garden when it's wet out the gardener can carry blight on their hands and tools.
Garden photos 7-3-24 005.JPG

Our 'A' garden. We have a 'B' and a 'C' garden patches, too. The corn in the forefront is our fifth planting. Behind it to the right is our forth corn planting. The collards are a hybrid, Top Bunch cultivar. Supposed to take down to 17°F winter temps.
Garden photos 7-3-24 002 Top Bunch Collards.JPG

Two 50 ft. rows of peppers.
Garden photos 7-3-24 009.JPG

Top Chop hybrid collards. Supposed to take down to 17°F. These should produce collards until spring of 2025.
Garden photos 7-3-24 003 Top Chop Collards.JPG

Attachments

• Garden photos 7-3-24 008.JPG
    Garden photos 7-3-24 008.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Garden photos 7-3-24 007.JPG
    Garden photos 7-3-24 007.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • Garden photos 7-3-24 006.JPG
    Garden photos 7-3-24 006.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
@Del_ . Many years ago my wife bought a pack of money plant seeds. She didn't know/realize they were a biennial and thought the seed Co put the wrong seeds in. The next year we had beautiful money plants. She would clean all the plants and sell bouquets of dried money plants. She would scatter the the seeds everywhere and we stihl have them growing 30 years later.

@Del_ . Many years ago my wife bought a pack of money plant seeds. She didn't know/realize they were a biennial and thought the seed Co put the wrong seeds in. The next year we had beautiful money plants. She would clean all the plants and sell bouquets of dried money plants. She would scatter the the seeds everywhere and we stihl have them growing 30 years later.

We had white flowered ones pop up 15 years ago and still get some light colored ones.

We tried our best to preserve them but didn't succeed.

IMG_3532.jpeg

Brother in laws coworker brought a bunch of zucchini into work and my brother in law brought me a sack full. Now not all were this big and we usually grill the normal size zucchini with bell peppers. I have no idea what to do with these, anyone have ideas?

View attachment 1188509
Brother in laws coworker brought a bunch of zucchini into work and my brother in law brought me a sack full. Now not all were this big and we usually grill the normal size zucchini with bell peppers. I have no idea what to do with these, anyone have ideas?
Zucchini bread or Zucchini relish. I always had people asking for big ones like that for bread and relish.

View attachment 1188509
Yup, zucchini bread.
I grate the zucchini, weigh out enough for my recipe (I think it's 2 cups/for a double batch), put in zip lock baggie and freeze. Lay them flat until they're frozen, takes up less space in the freezer.

I can give you my recipe if you want it. It's originally for banana bread, but I substitute zucchini, sweet potato, or pumpkin sometimes.

harvested some of the early onions and cabbage and took some to the mission and gave some to Facebook friends. Kept a couple heads of cabbage for us and made kraut out of it.
Planted small headed cabbage this year cause I got tired of people bitchin at me for my 25 pounders that I always grew!

Attachments

• 20240703_102332.jpg
    20240703_102332.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240703_102326.jpg
    20240703_102326.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240704_201732.jpg
    20240704_201732.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240704_201724.jpg
    20240704_201724.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yup, zucchini bread.
I grate the zucchini, weigh out enough for my recipe (I think it's 2 cups/for a double batch), put in zip lock baggie and freeze. Lay them flat until they're frozen, takes up less space in the freezer.

I can give you my recipe if you want it. It's originally for banana bread, but I substitute zucchini, sweet potato, or pumpkin sometimes.
I appreciate the offer. I mentioned zucchini bread to my wife, who is a very accomplished bread maker, she looked at me scrunched her nose up and said “I’ll think about it.” That’s code for “I ain’t ****** with it but if you want to go right ahead.”🤣
Zucchini relish might be something I will try, never had it, might be pretty good.

I appreciate the offer. I mentioned zucchini bread to my wife, who is a very accomplished bread maker, she looked at me scrunched her nose up and said “I’ll think about it.” That’s code for “I ain’t ****** with it but if you want to go right ahead.”🤣
Zucchini relish might be something I will try, never had it, might be pretty good.
This isn't a yeast bread. You can't taste the zucchini at all... it basically gives the bread moisture and texture.
Do you like banana bread, or carrot cake? Very similar.
Try it - you'll like it! :drinkingcoffee:

Using the basic recipe, you can add pineapple, raisins, apples, nuts, pumpkin, sweet potato, pretty much whatever.

I can't locate a pic of the zucchini bread...

banana nut bread.jpg
DSC04714.JPG
DSC04745.JPG

Back