55 Rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winstonsmith

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I have a question. I bought a Husqvarna 55 Rancher with a 20" bar about a month ago and I really like how it runs but I was wanting to know if there is anything I can do to improve its performance? It is straight out of the box, nothing added. I figured that there must be some tricks of the trade that other people would know that I dont. I wouldnt want to do anything that might void my warranty. Thanks.

55R

Congratulations, the 55R is a proven saw that should give you many years of service. As for modifications you can do yourself, most like to free up the restictive EPA mufflers that come on newer saws. It will give you gains you can feel. Probably 15-20% increase I'm guessing. If you enter "muffler" in the search area of this site, you will find many posts on that subject.

Yeah, I agree with the chain idea. Check to see if you have 3/8 or .325 chain. The 3/8 will make a nice difference.

Thanks for the reply, I do have a 3/8 chain. Where do you get one of those mufflers? How much do they cost? Can they cause any damage or overheating to the saw? Sorry for all of the new guy questions but I am a new guy. Thanks

questions are good

that is a modified muffler. A lot of the guys here are chainsaw junkies that do mods to their saws for the purpose of increasing power and longevity. The modifications to the muffler will actual decrease the heat build up by allowing the exhaust out of the muffler sooner. EPA emissions regs have forced mufflers to become very restrictive in their flow, causing heat build up, causing more emissions stuff to be burned off. I'm no expert and have never tried any of these things. I just read a lot about it here and learn. Do some searches and you can find a wealth of knowledge on the subject. It is a very popular topic. There are some real experts on the forum who do this for a living.

That's the Johnspike Mk. III. :) I fabricated those the night before, based on a drawing of the original. Each spike is over 3" long!

Huskyman,
That pink Husky has gotten more than a few threads off track before, if memory serves. Save this one for future use to avoid embarrassment.

Latest posts

Back