670 project (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveo_supremo

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
The Ol' lady is taking a nap downstairs so I figured what better time to assemble a saw in the Kitchen.

Here's the bottom end pieces all ready to go together.
HPIM3773.jpg

Here's my appliance of choice for heating the bearings and cases.
HPIM3776.jpg

Bearings installed on crank.
HPIM3774.jpg

Crank in flywheel side case half.
HPIM3775.jpg

Complete.
HPIM3777.jpg

More to come later.

Gonna go out to the shed right now and open up the piston windows a bit. Then I'll install the piston on the rod and drop the jug on with a new base gasket so I can measure the squish and see how much I need to have machined off the jug. I like my squish at .020" and I like to run a gasket. I'm waiting on crank seals still so I won't be able to presure/vac test it tonight.

Fresh Meteor piston.
HPIM3778.jpg

Windows opened.
HPIM3784.jpg

Ready to check squish.
HPIM3787.jpg

Cylinder on.
HPIM3788.jpg

Squish came out at .029" Now I have to decide if I want to have .009" shaved off the jug or come up with a thinner gasket. Stock gasket was about .018" so I need something to use for gasket material that's about .009" thick. Decisions, decisions.

Hey Steveo excellent work!!! I am building one almost exactly the same!! Not as far advanced in the project as you though...still gathering... I have the some cool stuff from a 670 West Coast to throw in as well...full wrap...larger intake elbow with velocity stack and cone shaped K&N, new Carlton 20" w/woodland pro chain (from bailey's), new Meteor (opened too) The only glitch I have at this point (other than time!!) is the larger intake elbow has one very long bolt on the right hand side. Was not a problem with the original 670 top end as the carb doesn't mount directly to the cyl but to the plastic manifold and various stock length bolts work fine. With the 272 cyl (ported) the carb/isolation block do mount directly to the cyl and that makes the longest stock bolts I have about a half inch to short. Don't want to lose the larger eblow because it matches the dia of the stack and will definately flow more air. I have not looked to far yet, hopefully will be able to pick up the correct length bolt at an industrial supply or perhaps even a good hardware store. Good luck I am watching to see how your project comes along...thanks for posting with all the pics!! Again good work you are doing an excellent job!! :cheers:

Have applied for old fossil papers!!!!:yoyo:
Been around!!!
I remember when Terrace got lots of snow!!!
One winter it was six feet!!!

Yeah things sure were different during the last iceage...LOLOL... Fossil papers!!!! HAHA!!!

I been around too..as my dad used to say "like the button on a chithouse door!!!"LOLOL!!!

Yep six feet is a goodly amount.....I doubt anyone misses that.

Ok enough "foolin around" where's those pics there Steveo?? Done yet???

Back