7 or 8 pin for ported 661 with 28" bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsrsol84mm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Would you run a 7 pin or 8 pin for a ported 661 with 28 inch 3/8 bar and full comp RS chain. Also have 36 inch bar 3/8 .050 RS chain for occasional use.
Mostly oak and other hardwoods for bucking up logs.

Thanks

Would you run a 7 pin or 8 pin for a ported 661 with 28 inch 3/8 bar and full comp RS chain. Also have 36 inch bar 3/8 .050 RS chain for occasional use.

Thanks
I would stick with the seven for that length.

I had a MS660 with a 20 inch bar and 8 tooth. It actually cut too fast if there is such a thing.

I'm thinking the difference would be trivial.

Ported can mean anything, more often than not, nothing.

I'd run the 7.
They oil better with the smaller sprocket, the 8 lets more dirt into the bar grove plugging up the bar oil hole sooner.
I have ran both on my 660 clone, it's faster with the 8 in the smallish stuff I cut but I never have to clean the bar oil hole out on the bar with the 7.

Thanks
"Gear" up the sprocket count, increases rpms and reduces torque.

"Gear" down the sprocket count, decreases rpms and increases torque

For bucking, generally speaking, you want torque. For falling, you want more speed. For milling, you want torque (and maybe speed.)

I run a 7-pin on my 066 and 32” bar in oak and it does okay. To go to an 8-pin I need to run a full skip chain and it cuts slower, which makes sense.

I’d try it both ways and see how it goes 🤷‍♂️

Back