accelerator pumps on Zama carbs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help! I pulled carb back apart and everthing looks fine. I think my carb mounts were a little loose causing it to suck air. I adjusted carb to your specs and saw runs better than ever.

Thanks again!

I just use a matchstick to smear some epoxy down the hole. If it's not too cold it'll run down to the bottom of the hole if you let it stand for a couple of minutes. I smear a bit around the piston and push that in too. Be careful not to put too much epoxy in first or you won't be able to get the piston in far enough. I just use matchstick/rag to clean up the mess. Seems like it's impossible but it's easy when you give it a try. I found a small artists wooden handle paintbrush worked well for ensuring the hole is clean for the throttle shaft. I remember thinking I was ruining the carb but actually it worked out great. If you've struggled to get hole clean (unlikely) you can use emery to clean it up as the epoxy starts to go off.

Good luck.

Copy Zippy. Im thinking I'll use a dowl to get 'er down....I can't believe how much i use dowls for.

Continuing to obsess over this issue....

It occured to me that a childs toy would be a great way to get the epoxy down the bore hole. Suck some up a straw and blow it down in gently. No muss no fuss...in theory. ( haven't tried it yet )

my question is do you need to have the piston put back in if you seal off the bottom of the bore? What purpose does the piston serve if the bore is sealed shut ?

Continuing to obsess over this issue....

It occured to me that a childs toy would be a great way to get the epoxy down the bore hole. Suck some up a straw and blow it down in gently. No muss no fuss...in theory. ( haven't tried it yet )

my question is do you need to have the piston put back in if you seal off the bottom of the bore? What purpose does the piston serve if the bore is sealed shut ?

The reason I pushed the piston back in was to insure a good seal, I figured why not do it.

Thanks Will,

didn't see if it was "supposed" to do anything after it was sealed off. I guess you can tell this ones been botherin' me for a while.:msp_rolleyes:

Yup! Just make sure to take the spring out! There is a spring that returns the piston, just leave it out. I also took the oring off the piston and filled the oring groove with JB too.

If you do not enjoy epoxyies.

Plug it with a welch at the bottom.

I just used a new cover and punched it down. Installed spring and piston with o-ring. I did replace the throttle shaft with a full round.

grease....

I heard of one person squeezing axle grease into the hole.

Not sure that'll last as long as epoxy or a plug but he was happy with the result.

If you do not enjoy epoxyies.

Plug it with a welch at the bottom.

I just used a new cover and punched it down. Installed spring and piston with o-ring. I did replace the throttle shaft with a full round.

Justsaws,
Did you welch it above the piston or below? I don't understand what the piston is going to do once its sealed below it. Seems to me that it should just be tossed.

Latest posts

Back