Advice on a chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmargel

Reaction score
I need a chain saw to cut logs for firewood. I am not a professional; just a homeowner with a fireplace who wants to ease the task of cutting logs into fireplace size. I might use the saw a few time a year. I'm looking for advice on a good, dependable saw that will do this job. I don't know anything about this subject, but I did use a small electric chain saw (14 inch?) last year and it worked pretty good. Please give me some advice on a good saw to buy.

All depends on how you like your tools... Do you like to have the best no matter the cost? If so go get a Stihl or Husky saw in the 50-60cc range.
With the amount of use it sounds like you will putting on the saw I would proably head to home depot or lowes and buy a Poulan Pro, Echo, or a Husky if you can get one in the same price range.
Greg

I'd go as low as 45cc,but not below that, and buy from a good shop that can give the saw a checkup every season. Run the tank dry every time and don't neglect the regular maintenance. Keep the chain sharp and out of the dirt.

The Husqvarna 345 and 350 are good deals for less than $300, or better yet you may be able to find a model 55 for under 3 bills still.

If you want Stihl the 025 is ok, I think its $299 usually. DO NOT BUY AN 029

Check the "ECHO CS-510" !!! Great power and excellent filter system and great warrenty.Good product and a great deal for the buck !! But what ever you choose just remember,maintance and care and a good dealer backing the product will get ya years of great service.:cool: :D

It may be worth while to check that the saw you decide on runs .325 pitch chain, a lot of the smaler consumer saws run 3/8 low profile or extended pitch chains. I think a .325 chain has more to offer.

Another consideration that may factor in depending on your area is it is often near imposible to get service or parts for saws like poulan, mikita, craftsman, homelite ect.. Where if you have a Husky, Stihl, Johnserd (a saw from a dealership) at least there is somewhere you can take it to have it serviced by a manufactures rep.

In the so called brand name saws it may be more importaint to have a quality dealership / service centrer near by than to have the absolutly best quality saw.

one of the saws im using is a Stihl 260 and like it, but by what you described the 260 would likely be more than you require, an 025 might fit your need well. The 025 won't cut as fast or last as long, but it would likely cut all the wood you'd burn in a fire place for 10-20 years (maybe more).

Price might be competitive on a 345 husky or 025 stihl.

The husky 141 or stihl 021 are smaler and use lo profile chain, the Husky 346 and Stihl 260 are higher preformers but will cost you more.

Timberwolf
Timberwolf

saw

The 025 may be the way to go. IF you require more power, DO check out a MS290. Dependable, yes. A llttle on the heavy side, but the logs are laying down. Actually, it is proving very reliable for the consumer operator.

Go ahead and get the 290 as long as you dont mind a 14lb saw with the power of a 10lb one.

The only thing going for that saw is it does seem to be fairly durable, but definitely not more durable than any other $300 saw on the market. At least with a 55 the saw can be rebuilt easily. A 290 is a throw away saw

Re: saw

Originally posted by stihltech
DO check out a MS290. Dependable, yes. A llttle on the heavy side, but the logs are laying down.

I disagree completely, like I have stated before; out of the only two I have used and belong to friends of mine, 0 are running due to oiler failure, and airleak - all with around 1 years use. It is my opinion that the 029 is perhaps Stihls biggest junk model along with the 009. Besides its not all that fast.

Back