Angled bar holes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jr27236

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
On my 262 this thing barely oils. I have checked the pump with the bar off and works fine. Cleaned the rails still barely oil on chain. Pump is turned up to its limit. The only conclusion is this miniscule little angles bar holes. I see people have discussed or have drilled them larger. Any personal experience doing this, does it work? People say thry can clog while larger? There just so small. Bar says made in canada, this an oregon manufacturered bar?
ebe2611d75a338ff7771f87f4eb49466.jpg
db1887b1cd2452ac32e86d6401aa2ef5.jpg

Does it actually line up with the oiler delivery port?
Have you verified that
your vent is letting air in, and that the bar isn't blocking it off somehow?
Drilling a hardened bar is almost impossible with regular drill bits. Try a die drinder or cutoff wheel on the champhered hole to make a port if it's mismatched.

On my 262 this thing barely oils. I have checked the pump with the bar off and works fine. Cleaned the rails still barely oil on chain. Pump is turned up to its limit. The only conclusion is this miniscule little angles bar holes. I see people have discussed or have drilled them larger. Any personal experience doing this, does it work? People say thry can clog while larger? There just so small. Bar says made in canada, this an oregon manufacturered bar?
ebe2611d75a338ff7771f87f4eb49466.jpg
db1887b1cd2452ac32e86d6401aa2ef5.jpg
Thanks for bringing this up I have the same problem with my 261? Changed bar and it works well,can you drill it out to make it work better?---------------

Hi Alex,
Yes they do line up with the oil channel. Im gonna run it again tomorrow with no bar and see its flow one more time. But these holes are so small, they must be restricting the oil i'd think. Hell im giving it a shot at drilling em a little wider
The 350 I currently have on the bench has the same bar and same small holes. Im curious how that will compare when shes up and running.

Does it actually line up with the oiler delivery port?
Have you verified that
your vent is letting air in, and that the bar isn't blocking it off somehow?
Drilling a hardened bar is almost impossible with regular drill bits. Try a die drinder or cutoff wheel on the champhered hole to make a port if it's mismatched.

Ive drilled many to install Log Wizards with regular HSS bits.

I've tried the drill route in the past. It helped a tiny little bit but do not expect miracles: even when the bar is perfectly lined up and the oil pump perfectly working some chainsaw/bar combinations just don't seem to work as they should.
This doesn't mean they don't work, however. I have a Stihl MS290 which uses almost no oil compared to fuel with a Rollomatic 20", 3/8" bar. Yet when running the saw with bar and no chain you can clearly see more than enough oil flowing in the bar guide. As the bar has never overheated and the saw cuts really well, I just stopped worrying. ;)

A common misconseption is that splattering oil all over the place is the right thing to do but it actually is not what one should aim at. The days are long over when wasting gobs of oil flying off the bar tip was what engineers intended.
I would check the bar for signs of excessive wear/overheating(which I cannot see by the above pictures) and if not there is simply NO reason to fool around with a working system especially designed to reduce oil consumption. Unless of course you intend to behave like a fool.

The bar looks like an Oregon, with "Lubri Jet" oiler holes. They are meant to improve oiling - but it doesn't sound like that is happening in this case....

From the Oregon site;
ProductDetail_BlackDot.gif
Lubri Jet[emoji768] oil holes reduce oil-hole plugging and enhance bar-chain lubrication*
Your right, but barely any??? I will thoughly check today and confirm

Latest posts

Back