Anyone up for a southern Maine GTG in the spring ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump, :dunno: If we don't get a date and location then I guess we'll have to have it in my backyard. Don't get any ideas, we've got two horses and the Mrs. isn't going to have anything to do with this.

Sure be great if it can be located decidedly to the SOUTH, so some of the guys from points a bit south, and southwesterly, could make it up.... Leeha might even bring some of his cubers......:chainsaw::chainsaw:

Is there a business, that sells anything related, or otherwise might benefit from the curiosity draw by hosting the event in their 'front yard'....? Kittery Trading Post....., emergency limb trauma treatment center, etc......

Sure be great if it can be located decidedly to the SOUTH, so some of the guys from points a bit south, and southwesterly, could make it up.... Leeha might even bring some of his cubers......:chainsaw::chainsaw:

Is there a business, that sells anything related, or otherwise might benefit from the curiosity draw by hosting the event in their 'front yard'....? Kittery Trading Post....., emergency limb trauma treatment center, etc......
That's a good thought, not sure KTP would want anything to do with it, although they used to host a rod run. Labonville would another one, and maybe even likely, they have several locations throughout ME and NH, but they are up north....where the trees actually are. Tractor Supply might be another option, would help elevate Jonsered:msp_unsure:

I could go for something in the south also.

all my wood cut up so i dont have any ! :(

I really doubt that Tractor Supply or any other business would host such an event. It's a very large liability insurance wise.

I really doubt that Tractor Supply or any other business would host such an event. It's a very large liability insurance wise.

Yes, no question.... At a minimum, guys would expect to have to show up wearing clean underwear, as well as sign a Waiver-of-Liability/Hold-Harmless agreement. In the present 'environment', things are stacked against it.....

Between working a regular 40 hour week as a tool designer & another 20 hours a week running my fab shop at home the schedule is pretty packed, but get a date & location nailed down and I'd love to try to make it.

I fear that you and Edwin may be right because none the of major players have weighed in.
Kind of a shame, really. Maybe nobody who heats their house with wood remains living in Maine. I used to heat with hardwoods in Connecticut where black birch was the premium firewood. Unfortunately, nobody around here has ever heard of black birch, although yellow birch and cherry are imported for furniture making.

Reviving this thread may be impossible. :help:

I'd host one if I had the space for one, but I don't. Wooddoc, I'm curious why you would drive so far to Maine for a GTG. You must have ties to Maine? BTW, plenty of people still burn wood in Maine but all real Maineahs know, you don't wait for summer to cut your firewood. :msp_razz:
I think TK volunteered to have one at his shop, hes got a huge shop and tons of parking space. :potstir: Right Tom? :msp_thumbup:

Ties to Maine

I'd host one if I had the space for one, but I don't. Wooddoc, I'm curious why you would drive so far to Maine for a GTG. You must have ties to Maine? BTW, plenty of people still burn wood in Maine but all real Maineahs know, you don't wait for summer to cut your firewood. :msp_razz:
I think TK volunteered to have one at his shop, hes got a huge shop and tons of parking space. :potstir: Right Tom? :msp_thumbup:

My son lives in Portland near the coast. Last time I saw him was in 2005, just over eight years ago. I have also never seen my two granddaughters. And, he has never seen my three best chainsaws--perhaps none of them.

My old sedan still runs nicely and has a big trunk. I'd rather drive that all the way to Maine than the Ranger, even though some guys might make fun of a 1991 Lincoln Town Car.

Around here we can still process most firewood species for winter burning. We cut the trees in the cool spring and let it rest for three months before splitting. When split in August or September, it will dry rapidly and be ready to burn in November. Only oak needs a full year to rest.

My son lives in Portland near the coast. Last time I saw him was in 2005, just over eight years ago. I have also never seen my two granddaughters. And, he has never seen my three best chainsaws--perhaps none of them.

My old sedan still runs nicely and has a big trunk. I'd rather drive that all the way to Maine than the Ranger, even though some guys might make fun of a 1991 Lincoln Town Car.

Around here we can still process most firewood species for winter burning. We cut the trees in the cool spring and let it rest for three months before splitting. When split in August or September, it will dry rapidly and be ready to burn in November. Only oak needs a full year to rest.

That's a pretty great reason to visit Maine. I work in Portland, but could never live there. I don't think many guys here would make fun of a 91 town car. More like amazed to see one still on the road!

You've seen my spot LOL I only wish I had the space/accomodations for a GTG ;)

Back