Art martin- west coast logger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdhotsaw

Yoda
Reaction score
Ok all you arboristsite members, heres a photo of the kind of redwoods art used to fell. now if we can just intice him to post and tell us about the good old days. this photo was sent to me by keener, a arboristsite member
ken

I learned timberfalling from my dad who started working in the woods at an early age after immigrating from Finland. During those days, bull teams and man power, using jack screws, wooden mauls, wedges, axes, crosscut saws, and spring boards were the only way to get the trees down, cut into logs, and sent down the rivers to the saw mills. Working a twelve hour day, from sun up to sun down, six days a week; thirty dollars pay for a twenty-six day month: these were the general conditions and equipment used during the early years (1852-1900) to get the virgin redwood down so that during the winter freshet they could be floated down to the mills.
The woods crew was comprised of the following men: Woods boss, Bull puncher, Suglers, Choppers, Sawers, Swampers, Jack screwers, Snipers, Water slingers, Water packers, and Chinese Cooks.
The suglers job was to supply wood for the cooks.
The Choppers felled the trees ten to fifteen feet above the ground. This eliminated the heavy trunk sections of the tree, which wood sink instead of floating down to the saw mill. Some of these sinkers were salvaged 90 years later.
The general practice was to fell and peel the redwoods, then set fires to burn the bark, limbs, brush, rotten logs. After the fires burned down, it was the whole camp crews job to help extinguish the remaining small fires.
All of the the trees in the burned area were then sawed into shorter lengths. If they were to saw the trees into logs before burning the area, all the log ends would be damaged.
The Swampers would then build skid roads.
More later....Art Martin

That`s great, Art! I`ve always been awed by the ingenuity and determination of the old timers. It`s interesting to hear of the use of fire, I`ve seen many pictures where the evidence of a fire was present and always assumed that it had occured naturally or by accident, never related to the harvest. If you have some old photos to share that would be fantastic, or if as Ken mentioned, you were to write a book I`d have to get a copy. In many of those old photos, if you look closely you can see the marks from each axe cut. The photo Keener sent is a good example, if you consider how many swings of an axe just to make a notch, it`s humbling. Russ

Awesome

You've come a long way since those times.
It is amazing how the internal combustion engine has revolutionized an entire industry, population etc.

I agree, I would love to see more old photos and old stories. Us who don’t work in the woods have to live vicariously through those of you who do/did.:blob2:

Snipers?

What did the Snipers do?
You know I have a second cousin and his father is Tommy Tinker He built boilers for all types of uses, mostly for mills, and thrasher machines. He won a bet to drive a thrasher across the Mississippi just north of Saint Louis.
It is great to see some of the stuff the did, allowed to do back in his day.

I'd definately love to hear more. One of my first purchases when I learned how to use ebay was The Loggers a time-life book-awesome, good bunch of pics etc.
According to the book the snipers bevelled the front of the log to make it easier to skid.
Sign me up if you're writing a book also!

Thanks for the favorable responses, since there is so much interest in the sagas of the old-time woods operations, I'll continue.
The roads were built up the gulches or ravines making it easier for the Jack Screwers to work the logs downhill onto the skid road.
To build a skid road took a lot of common sense engineering and hard work with pick and shovel, wheel barrel, jack screws, and hand tools. The skids were cut form small logs, placed crosswise, six feet apart, on the road bed, at uniform levels, to enable the logs to be hauled over them without catching on any high skid.
Five to seven yoke of bulls made a good team.
A Bull Puncher's job was very desirable as he received a good salary. He had to take good care of bulls and always be in control of them. He also needed a good command of English slang. This enable him to start heavy loads.
The Sugler's job was to help the Bull Puncher with the bulls, tend the ruff lock, slacken the coupling with a crow bar and jack screw whan needed to get the logs to their destination.
To be continued....

Next came the Jack Screw team. Their job was to get the logs from the side hills and ravines onto the skid roads with wooden jack swrews. The logs had to be placed on the skid road in proper order; the lead log was first and largest, and each following log, smaller.
The Sniper would make a riding snipe on each log by cutting off and trimming the foward end of each log. This allowed the logs to slide over the skids without catching on anything.
The bull teams could haul a string of logs containing 15,000 feet of lumber. Under ideal conditions, a team could haul up to 30,000 feet per load.
The logs were coupled together with hooks (dogs) driven into the logs and a rope was used to tie hooks together. The lead log was the largest followed by smaller logs. Some slack was left in each coupling to enable snaking of the string of logs. When the bull team started on the lead log, its momentum would start the next load of logs, until the whole string of logs was moving down to the landing.
To be continued...

The Water Packer, with a mule loaded down with two canvas bags filled with water, carried water to barrels which were placed along the level sections of the skid road, where it would be hand for the Water Slinger to refill his bucket as he ran along ahead of the lead log, wetting each skid to make it easier for the bulls to drag the load.
It was also the Water Slinger's work to grease the skids on the level sections of the road with tallow caleed skid grease.
A ruff lock was needed to keep the logs from running onto and killing the bulls on the steep pitches. This was done by the Sugler, placing a heavy chain hooked to the sides of the lead log and suspending it in position by two wooden pegs so when needed, it would be tripped by him, allowing the chain to drop down under the logs and keep them from running on to the bulls.
When the load of logs was coupled together, the ruff lock placed in position, and everything made ready, the Sugler hooked the bull team to the lead log.

To be continued...

The Water Packer, with a mule loaded down with two canvas bags filled with water, carried water to barrels which were placed along the level sections of the skid road, where it would be handy for the Water Slinger to refill his bucket as he ran along ahead of the lead log, wetting each skid to make it easier for the bulls to drag the load.
It was also the Water Slinger's work to grease the skids on the level sections of the road with tallow called skid grease.
A ruff lock was needed to keep the logs from running onto and killing the bulls on the steep pitches. This was done by the Sugler, placing a heavy chain hooked to the sides of the lead log and suspending it in position by two wooden pegs so when needed, it would be tripped by him, allowing the chain to drop down under the logs and keep them from running on to the bulls.
When the load of logs was coupled together, the ruff lock placed in position, and everything made ready, the Sugler hooked the bull team to the lead log.

To be continued...

Wow , That is awesome

That is really neat!
I seriously think you should write it down in a book.
You write very well.
Best composition I read in quite a while.
:)

To get going, the Bull Puncher would begin talking to the bulls, calling them by name. After strong verbage and the free use of the goad stick, the bulls would start moving the logs down the skid road. The Bull Puncher walked or ran on one side of the lead log and the Sugler on the other side, ready to trip the ruff lock when the load started down the steep pitch.
At the bottom of the pitch the ruff lock would have to be removed by the Sugler. Working slack into the logs with his crow bar the team was able to start the load again.
From here to the landing, the Water Slinger would wet each skid in front of the lead log, running along and refilling his bucket from the barrels placed along the skid road.
At the landing, the Sugler would uncouple the logs and the team would start back into the woods for another load.
Two men, with jack screws, would roll the logs into piles in the river bed to wait for the ride to the mills during the winter rains.

To be continued...

In small rivers or near the head waters of larger rivers, it was necessary to build dams to store water which could be released to start and float the logs down to the mill site. Log booms were built across the river to stop and hold the logs.
It was not necessary to build dams in lower sections of rivers. Brush, rubbish and dirt were piled on the upstream ends of the log piles to help raise the water level around the logs and start them down the river.
To build booms to stop and hold the logs coming down the river during a winter storm was a problem. Many times the booms would give way and the work of the summer would be lost.
Breaking in new or wild bulls was necessary to ensure the availability of livestock to haul logs to the river. To accomplish this, new or wild bulls would be yoked together and turned loose among the stumps to tire themselves out. In time, they would settle down and work as a team.
To put shoes on the bulls, four posts were set in the ground and a canvas stretched across it and a hand windlass on each side. The canvas was placed under the bull's belly and the bull was raised off the ground enabling to be shod. To be continued...

With the discovery of gold in California in 1848, San Francisco became a boom town. The devasting fire of 1851 destroyed much of the town's wooden buildings. This created a need for lumber to rebuild the city and provide housing for the many fortune seekers arriving at the gold fields.
The need could not be filled by local suppliers or the few small mills around the town, and it took too much time to bring eastern lumber by boat to the west coast. Closer suppliers were needed. This need created jobs for pioneers who were willing to go out and get the needed timber.
With ships available to haul lumber and with crosscut saws, axes, and jack screws to fall timber and make up loads for the bull teams to haul the logs to the rivers, lumber mills sprang up along most of the larger rivers of northern California.
The river channels had to have enough water at high tide to enable small, flat bottom sailing schooners to enter and dock to load lumber. Some of these schooners were capable of carrying 80,000 to 150,000 feet of lumber. Larger schooners moored in bays, and lumber was hauled by barges to the vessels in the bays. To be continued...

Hello Uncle Art, this is great to hear your recall of the good ole days of logging on the West Coast.
I hope you take it one step further and write a book about your memoirs. Anyway, please keep the stories coming.
Gypo

Don’ Yib ‘en Polar!

Thank you Art for the history.
I don't wish to steer this thred elswhere or complicate it, perhaps after I do so anyway for a brief time, you'll forgive me.
For those with interest in the boats, I added a link to: Alma. "No scow schooners save Alma are known to survive afloat in the United States. Possessing a high level of integrity, Alma is of exceptional NATIONAL significance as the only American scow schooner surviving as a floating, intact representative of her type."
Thanks again Art, please continue.

http://www.nps.gov/safr/local/alma.html

http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/nhl/alma.htm

"Don’ Yib ‘en Polar!
For the most part, sailing scows "worked the tides" once they left the bay. But if a master was in a hurry on a calm Delta day he might order one of the crewmen to cast loose the yawl boat, break out the oars and tow eighty tons of scow and cargo behind him.

If a tree was conveniently placed, a line could be run from the craft’s windlass to the trunk, and the scow slowly hand-cranked upstream. Or, if the river banks were firm and flat enough, a line would be make fast to the foremast. Then a farm lad, eager to earn pocket change, would loop a canvas sling around his shoulder and pull the boat forward that way.

Sometimes, however, the channel was too shallow and the banks too steep or tree- less. Then there was nothing to do but put a shoulder to the twenty-foot "navigating poles" when the master called out, "Down the jib, and pole her!"

When did start using tractors?

My great uncle made steam engines in Illinois. 1880's to 1930's. They made a wood mill in Illinois near Roodhouse. They also had these rather large mills (*thrasher machines) on wheels they used to go to the site. I guess it wasn't practicle for the guys on the west coast since it was so mountanous?

Latest posts

Back