Bar oil $7.49 @ TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm good with it as we usually go to Menards and buy more than just bar oil anyway. Never waited weeks either. More like a week.
I'm lucky if I see the rebate checks in a month here.

Wish they would just do 11% off at the register. Just such BS system to me.

Ours is the poulan pro bar oil onsale. That was some good stuff back in the day. Wonder if it is still red like years back.

It's not a 'Timken' apparatus, it's a Falex friction tester machine... You can buy one as well. bar oil has to have one consistent attribute and that is, it has to have good boundary adhesion. Easy to tell if it does by putting some between your fingers and pulling them apart. If the oil strings easily, it's good if not, pass.
I agree with the need to have a tacky oil. I did not see the exact same machine on the Falex website that Project Farm uses. They do have one called a Timken Test Machine. But there are many vendors selling machines labeled "Timken test machine" or "Timken OK load tester". They look pretty similar to what Project Farm uses.

Project farm bar oil test seems odd to me. I would like him to get another jug of the winning oil from a different lot and retest. It just may be that the batch he tested had an excessive amount of friction modifiers over their regular blend.
Are there any environmental limits on bar oil? Shhhhh don't say that too loud.

I agree with the need to have a tacky oil. I did not see the exact same machine on the Falex website that Project Farm uses. They do have one called a Timken Test Machine. But there are many vendors selling machines labeled "Timken test machine" or "Timken OK load tester". They look pretty similar to what Project Farm uses.
PF bar oil test isn't applicable to chainsaw bar oils because the extreme pressure element in his test isn't present in a chainsaw bar/chain...or at least if the operator knows how to run a saw it isnt... This is going by memory of his methodology.
When I logged I ran the cheapest bar oil I could find, which was usually Walmart super tech. I never had any issues with it and put more hours than most casual users would in 5 years or more.
Couple points for thought. The chain is several points softer than the bar rail. The only thing that needs lube is the sprocket and the chain links. Thin, less tacky bar oil is more apt to reach the links.
Years ago on this sight in the golden era there was a Windsor engineer that was a member. He stated that thin hydro oil was a great bar and chain oil for the reasons I mentioned above.

I typicaly buy the absolute cheapest bar oil I can find. I have tried some of the premium stuff like Stihl platinum, Durex, BelRay, etc but I just don't notice any difference.
I get it that must have OCD in regards to lubricants, but this is one case where it just doesn't matter for a casual user.

OF bar oil test isn't applicable to chainsaw bar oils because the extreme pressure element in his test isn't present in a chainsaw bar/chain...or at least if the operator knows how to run a saw it isnt...
When I logged I ran the cheapest bar oil I could find, which was usually Walmart super tech. I never had any issues with it and put more hours than most casual users would in 5 years or more.
Couple points for thought. The chain is several points softer than the bar rail. The only thing that needs lube is the sprocket and the chain links. Thin, less tacky bar oil is more apt to reach the links.
Years ago on this sight in the golden era there was a Windsor engineer that was a member. He stated that thin hydro oil was a great bar and chain oil for the reasons I mentioned above.

I typicaly buy the absolute cheapest bar oil I can find. I have tried some of the premium stuff like Stihl platinum, Durex, BelRay, etc but I just don't notice any difference.
I think project farm should dump some used 15w-40 Rotella in his mighty 023 Stihl and give her a whirl.

I'm lucky if I see the rebate checks in a month here.

Wish they would just do 11% off at the register. Just such BS system to me.

Ours is the poulan pro bar oil onsale. That was some good stuff back in the day. Wonder if it is still red like years back.
It's actually amber in color, I have a couple jugs of it on the shelf actually.

I'm good with it as we usually go to Menards and buy more than just bar oil anyway. Never waited weeks either. More like a week.
for me it's usually a month before I see the rebate check but I'm okay with that since I'm picking stuff up at Menards multiple times a week and can use them whenever they show up. I just mail in all my rebate receipts about once a month so the stamp isn't much of a cost factor but I'd prefer just submitting them online like Home Depot does when they are rebate matching.

Why I just pay the extra 50 cents at TSC here for 7.49. Regular price and no BS.

Menard's here is on sale but you have to do that mail in BS they make you do.

Regular price 9.99. On sale price 7.85.

Have to do the 11% mail in then it is 6.99. But it will cost you that dang stamp to mail it in and wait weeks so you can only spend it in their store.

Everyday Low Price $9.99
Sale Price Good Through 6/30/24 $7.85
11% REBATE* Good Through 6/23/24 $0.86

PRICEAFTERREBATE* $ 6 99
each
I never thought about menards. Thanks!

Back