Bar oil $7.49 @ TSC

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours is the poulan pro bar oil onsale. That was some good stuff back in the day. Wonder if it is still red like years back.

It's actually amber in color, I have a couple jugs of it on the shelf actually.

Well being we were in Menard's again today. I picked up some of the Poulan Pro bar oil for 7.85

Still the same Red or Purple which ever you want to call it from 14 years ago that I remember being sold.

Their FVP brand was 12.99 there.

Attachments

• bopp.jpg
    bopp.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
  • boppp.jpg
    boppp.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
That’s a decent deal if you feel the need to buy bar oil or don’t generate enough other oils to use in the saw. As long as it’s been filtered I run it in my saws. I don’t have a problem being “that guy” and haven’t had any issues with oilers on saws that I attribute to used oil. The price is right and it disappears this way. Win.

$12.99 at TSC here. Their house Universal Tractor Gear Oil is a very good price though. Bought some for my 2166 Cub shaft drive.
As for that logo/pride thingy don't get too hot and bothered. TSC is like one of the grocery chains wife works at. Pride sticker on doors, diversity blah blah but everyone ignores it. HR dropped a bunch of Pride Month hats off for everyone. Most sitting on the desk as even the gay employees don't care. Corporate wants to show they "care" as a "stay off our backs" game plan
Many Corps, I read, now say they are dropping DEI.

Variance in chain hardness could well explain what he noted. Or perhaps variance in the wood itself or his technique, which is very painful to watch. The bottom of the links wearing really doesn't matter. It's the pins that matter as it pertains to chain "stretching ".
As for bar maintenance. There is more than one way to skin a cat. I used a disk sander with a 90 degree table for dressing. It's all part of the game when your running a saw alot.
Also starting out with .050 gauge chain gives you some leeway to jump up to. 058 or .063 when the rail groove opens up or you can us a roller bar rail closer to tighten it up.
I am a bit skeptical about that much variation in chain hardness from Stihl. In any case, the ranking of oils from the saw test matched that from the wear scar test. Yes, I know that the pressure is much higher in the wear scar test than it is running on a chain. But to me, it makes sense that a lubricant that shows less wear at high contact pressure would also show less wear at a lower contact pressure, compared to other lubricants.

I am a bit skeptical about that much variation in chain hardness from Stihl. In any case, the ranking of oils from the saw test matched that from the wear scar test. Yes, I know that the pressure is much higher in the wear scar test than it is running on a chain. But to me, it makes sense that a lubricant that shows less wear at high contact pressure would also show less wear at a lower contact pressure, compared to other lubricants.
Its an unkwown as is the hardness of his pins he uses in his home brewed test.
The wear on the bottom of the link is almost meaningless. The chain is softer than the rail on purpose.
I have never had a chain wear out from the bottom or stretch beyond use. Most bar/chain wear is in fact caused by operating a chainsaw like PF did.
Think about it the oils that performed best on the test were both motor oils. This is because they contain zinc/ZDDP. The Harvest King oil based on its VOA is certainly a motor oil or based on a motor oil. Bar oils usually don't contain ZDDP as it's nasty to both the user and environment. And make no mistake if your running a chain saw your breathing aerosolised bar oil amongst other things.
I do run Harvest King 4 stroke alkylate fuel blended with Red Armor oil in my stuff. It's the cheapest alkylate fuel I can find and my teenage daughter gets an employee discount on it too boot.
In summation, once again PF makes some assumptions based on ignorance and then makes conclusion that has many variables not accounted for.

But the wear on the bottom of the link is almost meaningless. The chain is softer than the rail on purpose.
Think about it the oils that performed best on the test were both motor oils. This is because they contain zinc/ZDDP. The Harvest King oil based on its VOA is certainly a motor oil or based on a motor oil. Bar oils usually don't contain ZDDP as it's nasty to both the user and environment. And make no mistake if your running a chain saw your breathing aerosolised bar oil amongst other things.
I do run Harvest King 4 stroke alkylate fuel blended with Red Armor oil in my stuff. It's the cheapest alkylate fuel I can find and my teenage daughter gets an employee discount on it too boot.
In any case, there certainly seemed to be no reason to buy the expensive oils from Stihl or Husqvarna. Harvest King is not sold close to me, so I use the TSC brand. Pardon my thread drift, but mentioning aerosolized oil reminds me of something I read about years ago. Whenever you flush the toilet, small droplets of urine and fecal matter float through the air and settle on bathroom surfaces, and you breathe some of them in if you are in the bathroom after flushing the toilet. Food for thought.

In any case, there certainly seemed to be no reason to buy the expensive oils from Stihl or Husqvarna. Harvest King is not sold close to me, so I use the TSC brand. Pardon my thread drift, but mentioning aerosolized oil reminds me of something I read about years ago. Whenever you flush the toilet, small droplets of urine and fecal matter float through the air and settle on bathroom surfaces, and you breathe some of them in if you are in the bathroom after flushing the toilet. Food for thought.
Like I said earlier, when I logged and went through alot of bar oil I always bought the cheapest stuff I could find. Even used hydro and engine oil in a pinch. It all works fine for a chainsaw bar.

Like I said earlier, when I logged and went through alot of bar oil I always bought the cheapest stuff I could find. Even used hydro and engine oil in a pinch. It all works fine for a chainsaw bar.
Agreed, I have done the same with no negative results. No used motor oil from oil changes, though, that stuff is nasty!

Latest posts

Back