BEST 60cc saw ever built !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was raised up on an XL12 ,54cc, making right of ways more hours. than any other saw since I was 10 years old, came by a worn out SXLAO , 58cc, new piston and rings and it lives . Then another SXLAO newer better shape is a great back up saw, has a 20" bar, 3/8" chain. Homelites easy to work on and repair, if parts are there.Then a McCULLOCH 10-10A frozen up . Got working again, ported lower transfers cleaned muffler and saw up.What did someone here call them , - like a pissed of yellow jacket !🐝And when you use this saw it talks to you, ..and people a mile away, only an 18" bar it has an attitude :chainsaw: . It is a pleasure to run. And torque . These saws Still what I think of as 50s - 55cc saws

Was raised up on an XL12 ,54cc, making right of ways more hours. than any other saw since I was 10 years old, came by a worn out SXLAO , 58cc, new piston and rings and it lives . Then another SXLAO newer better shape is a great back up saw, has a 20" bar, 3/8" chain. Homelites easy to work on and repair, if parts are there.Then a McCULLOCH 10-10A frozen up . Got working again, ported lower transfers cleaned muffler and saw up.What did someone here call them , - like a pissed of yellow jacket !🐝And when you use this saw it talks to you, ..and people a mile away, only an 18" bar it has an attitude :chainsaw: . It is a pleasure to run. And torque . These saws Still what I think of as 50s - 55cc saws
I'm not familure with Homelites at all, but pulling up a pic of the XL-12 i believe my brother in law has one. I have have been around it once. Loud as hell and my ms260 at the time cut circles around it.

I wood say a 90cc saw is hands down, far better than any stinking, 70cc pansy ass, wimpy saw. In the mean time I will be using my 353, which I have been using 23 years, or my 359, or and my new 555 with a 20" .325" bar and 9 tooth sprocket 90% of the time. Why waste time with a saw that is too heavy for most things, and then to slow for the rest of it. If I have heavy cutting to do, I break out the 390 or the 592xp. I have a 572xp, It would be the first saw I sell if I needed to finance a trip to the grocery store. Or maybe it might be relegated to powering the chainsaw winch, so I can free up my trusty old Dolmar 6100. 60cc saws are the best. I am 64 and collect 10-12 cords of hardwood every year for home and friends.
For the best part of 40 years my go to saw was a Homelite Super 1050 with a 24" bar. When Dad was in business our ground saws were XL 12's. I got tired of the other guys grabbing my saw because they ran theirs into the dirt. So, the 1050 became my saw, 100 CC's with no decomp. They hated trying to start it, so they never touched it. Somewhere along the line I got an MS 290, tweaked it a little, put a 3/8's sprocket on it to run larger chain then the 3/8 LP. Even though it's heavy for it's size and power I liked it, still do. My wife was helping put stuff away and could hardly lift my 660 with 36" bar and mill on it, so she bought me an MS 261 for our anniversary. At 68 and cutting 15-20 cord of wood a year, I've come to really like that little 261. I've got about 70 saws, all of the 100 CC and bigger ones live on shelves now. I still have the Super 1050 my Dad bought back in the early 70's. It's wearing a 45" bar now. Now, if I cut down a green tree, I chip all the brush 6" and smaller. I have a JD X738 all wheel drive with hitches on the front and back. I push the splitter along the log on the front and pull a trailer on the back. Split and load as I go. The speed I lose on the smaller saws, I gain back in efficiency splitting and loading all at once. I just wonder what will be out there when I'm 78 and 88? I hope it's a hand held laser in the 1 to 2 pound range.

I'm not familure with Homelites at all, but pulling up a pic of the XL-12 i believe my brother in law has one. I have have been around it once. Loud as hell and my ms260 at the time cut circles around it.
If you think an XL 12 is loud you need to run a Homelite C5, C7, C9 Series with the open, no baffles, can muffler that all it does is turn the exhaust down. Probably why I have hearing aids now!

Most definately my current Dolkita 6100 within the 60 cc class , high chain speed in the cut & reed valve low end grunt . Followed by my 357 xp a little older & a few cc less displacement however a very stout performer with it's quad port design & crankcase stuffers , it also leads in class performance & reliability . The 562 xp today i believe is the class leader still currently in production !

Back