Best bar length for ms 290 farm boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josh1981

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi I hope everyone is having a good night.

My friend has a ms290 farm boss I got him last yr. He used it once. Sat 5 months. I looked at it today for him make sure was up to par. Runs good. I did notice the bar was smoking a bit (is getting plenty of oil-stihl oil). The chain does need touch up but wasn't that dull still cutting good). It was hard wood- big piece.

Why would the bar be smoking some?

My 260 pro muffler mod went through it fast. No smoking bar. Chain needs touch up too but not that dull yet.

290 just seemed too slow for what I was cutting.

Should I get 16 inch bar for it? Is that better?

Thanks

The bar length doesnt kill much power until you increase the diameter of the wood you sink it into. You might want to inspect your bar for kinked rails or a bend, and make sure your chain is sharp. 16, 18, 20" bars all fine for the 290.

Do the chain, bar, and rim sprocket (or spur sprocket) all match? Like, all 3/8, or .325? You arent running .063 chain in a worn .050 bar? I have seen that before.

Make sure the oiler access hole in the bar is open. Otherwise it will put out plenty of oil but it won't be at the right place.

Usually smoke coming from the cut means a dull chain or the rakers need to be lowered but it sounds like this saw really hasn't been used much so we can only assume the cutters have not been ground or filed, so the rakers would be fine.

I ran an 029 Super for a while with a 20" bar, and it was ok, but I wouldn't go more than 18" if I had to do it over again. If you really want it to sing, use a 16" bar. It will be lighter and hold rpm noticeably better in the cut.

It was making Chips yesterday when I ran it at his house even today it was but I guess it was getting duller then I thought. Even my 260 chain was getting dull but was faster in cut and the bar was not smoking. One not smoking one was both chains equally sharp. That's what confused me. Now I know. Thanks.

Thanks. I'll get a 16 inch bar for it.

Thanks for the help.

A muffler mod will wake that saw up and give it a lot more power. Plenty of threads on here to show how it is done. I run an 18" bar on mine.

A good mate of mine has an older but excellent running 029. He runs a 16" 3/8" bar most of the time but does have a 20" spare for when he needs it. He cuts all Aussie hardwoods. He always said it struggled too much with the 20" but after I gave it a muffler mod and retuned it it will pull the 20" fine.
A basic muffler mod really does make a difference to these saws.

Hi I hope everyone is having a good night.

My friend has a ms290 farm boss I got him last yr. He used it once. Sat 5 months. I looked at it today for him make sure was up to par. Runs good. I did notice the bar was smoking a bit (is getting plenty of oil-stihl oil). The chain does need touch up but wasn't that dull still cutting good). It was hard wood- big piece.

Why would the bar be smoking some?

My 260 pro muffler mod went through it fast. No smoking bar. Chain needs touch up too but not that dull yet.

290 just seemed too slow for what I was cutting.

Should I get 16 inch bar for it? Is that better?

Thanks
I've been using my Father's 029 for at least 15 yrs. Has cut a lot of firewood for his barn, which has a great big Allnighter wood stove in it. I've found a 16" to be best for a bar on it . Also drilled out the oiler hole in the bar, and have done a MM on it. Actually has been an excellent firewood saw. Lasted a long time!!

Probably tightened the chain too tight for it to smoke.

Latest posts

Back