Breaking in Stihl MS311 in cold weather

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRW0525

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am a proud new owner of a Stihl MS311 and was wondering if there would be any issues breaking it in when its cold outside? Currently around 20 degrees here in the Northeast. I read about the Summer / Winter carb guard, but I don't know if that is an aftermarket part? I am new to Stihl and am coming from a Husqvarana 350 which I broke in correctly during the summer a few years ago. I figured i'd get some input from you guys before I get out and run it through it's paces!

Thanks for the reply Brush Ape. I did read about the preheat shutter, but unless I missed it, i'm not sure it was an option on the MS311. I'll have to check when I get home. If it does not have the shutter, would carb ice / Lean conditions be an issue with very light use to make it to spring?

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about so I'll let er' rip! I'm still a newb at cutting and just wanted to get some opinions. Appreciate the advice Brush Ape!!

Agree with Whitespider with a 40:1 mix, and only run fresh gas. Don't run the saw at full throttle with no load (ie: out of the wood). Other than that, run it hard, and don't worry about it.

I live high in the mountains where it snows a ton. I've never had any ice/snow issues with any Stihl, ever.

Thats great to here DonnerParty. I have not yet cut in the snow, so that makes me feel better I can depend on the Stihl! So far I have been impressed with the MS311 (Even though I have only idled it on the back porch as of yet!). Tonight I'm going to try and get some small stuff cut up to hold us over for the next snow storm coming tommrow morning. I'm down to about 1/2 cord eastern pine, so scrounging until the spring!

Thats great to here DonnerParty. I have not yet cut in the snow, so that makes me feel better I can depend on the Stihl! So far I have been impressed with the MS311 (Even though I have only idled it on the back porch as of yet!). Tonight I'm going to try and get some small stuff cut up to hold us over for the next snow storm coming tommrow morning. I'm down to about 1/2 cord eastern pine, so scrounging until the spring!

Good luck man! Cut and haul it back! Split small if you are scrounging now. Get as much of the split stacked up around the heater as possible, helps to get it dried out.

Good luck man! Cut and haul it back! Split small if you are scrounging now. Get as much of the split stacked up around the heater as possible, helps to get it dried out.

Thats the plan! The ol' oil furnace has been running way too much since we got low on wood. We managed to burn only 1/8 tank from Oct - Jan, now that i'm only burning at night, we have already used 1/2 tank!!! Come spring it's on! I wont be running out of wood next season!

Don't abuse the saw right off the bat, but if you baby it, the rings won't seat right. In general, run it like you're gonna for the rest of its life.

If it is cold out just let it warm up about 5 mins. before you start cutting. Run full throttle in the wood, but don't with no load.

congrats on new saw,let us know how she does for ya......as far as break in,sounds like its all been covered...enjoy!

Idling time for me is the same in the summer and winter. Idling time = start saw, put on eye & ear protection, gloves, helmet, etc. ~ 1-2min. After that I run it the same. I must add that I have my saws not outside all night but usually in the basement or similar.

Latest posts

Back