can anyone date this one? mix?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

high life man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just bought an old Sears chainsaw model # 917.60051. The label reads Simpson-Sears Canada. It is red with what looks like gear drive. It has a manual plunger-type oiler. The tank is a split keg-style mounted above the handle.

I bought it to put on the wall at work, but it pulls over and the compresion is excellent. I'm pretty sure it will run. I won't be able to hang it without trying. It calls for a mixture of 1/2 pint SAE 30 non-detergent oil per gallon. According to my calculations that's 16:1. Can I run my regular husky oil mixed at 50:1? Should I run Husky oil 16:1? There has to be something better than straight 30 weight. I run 50:1 in stihls 30 years old with no problem, but never tried it in a relic like this.

Can anyone help?

P.S. I'm no longer a high life man.

I'd run almost any modern oil at 16:1 in that saw. Those clunkers weren't excatly designed to precision specs.

Thanks for the link, Gypo! It's an old David Bradley. DBbabcock's got one almost identical.

Tomorrow I'll try starting it.

Once again I agree with John. In my opinion 16:1 means just that 16:1. I have heard of people thinking they can run any mixture as long as it is designed to be run at that mix. If you run it at 50:1 I will bet my farm that you will seize it no matter what oil you use. I rum a large amount of old saws that are to be ran at 16:1. I run them at 16:1. Any repuatable shop will have 8 ounce containers of oil. I use Lawn Boy oil. It comes as a 32:1 mix in 8 ounce cans as a 2 gallon mix. As long as you mix it with one gallon it will work great.

Just my thoughts.

Bill

Back