Carb Cleaner.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew15

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When it comes to chainsaw,can you clean other things you carb cleaning spray or just the carb?

Carb cleaner is pretty strong, and can discolor plastics. Probably not good for rubber. After I clean out the clutch cover gunk with a brush or tool, I use a bit of brake clean spray to flush the oily bits out of corners. Even it is a bit strong.

When it comes to chainsaw,can you clean other things you carb cleaning spray or just the carb?

Carb cleaner is pretty strong, and can discolor plastics. Probably not good for rubber. After I clean out the clutch cover gunk with a brush or tool, I use a bit of brake clean spray to flush the oily bits out of corners. Even it is a bit strong.
I just used some yesterday to clean spark plugs with a wire brush and air.

butane torch for sparkplugs

scrench for cleaning with occasional air. It's a waste of time to get all of the wee bits out. Besides, a coating of oils and dirts is a protectant

wash it just before you put it up for sale...

butane torch for sparkplugs

scrench for cleaning with occasional air. It's a waste of time to get all of the wee bits out. Besides, a coating of oils and dirts is a protectant

wash it just before you put it up for sale...
Well, WD 40 is good to spray on the saw before cutting pine.

I use WD40 to clean my chains before sharpening them as well. I soak them, then hit them with compressed air.

Brake clean is very hard on metal and plastic

Brake clean is very hard on metal and plastic
CRC green can (non chlorinated) brake clean works great. Haven’t had any issues with it harming anything on a saw, although I don’t clean any plastic covers with it just to be safe. And it doesn’t have that harsh chemical smell.

CRC green can (non chlorinated) brake clean works great. Haven’t had any issues with it harming anything on a saw, although I don’t clean any plastic covers with it just to be safe. And it doesn’t have that harsh chemical smell.
There is no doubt the non-chlorinated is better

Full strength Simple Green cuts most oily crud very well. Wipe and blow it out when its good and drippy. I do use brake kleen on bar grooves and clutch assemblies. I also spritz some light clean oil on all the metal bits and bearing grease when done. Keeps the mag rot at bay.
There is no substitute for brake and carb cleaner for cleaning out the carburetor. I tried many different solutions. Especially when cleaning varnish out of the passageways inside the carb.

Back