Chain ID help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What chain?

bling_1.gif

No, 3/8th logging chain.... Or the goodie stuff the 3/8ths DOT chain.

dw

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Kinda greedy, aren't you...? :D

Hey now Gary............I offered to send some of it back. My 'research' time is quite valuable. Send me your Dayton 4Z252 (rebadged Poulan 5200 for the non Poulan nuts) and I'll work hard to determine if the orange and black paint used on it is exactly the same shade and thickness as what's on my 2Z462 (early rebadged 245SA). I unfortunately won't be able to send your saw back to you, as it will be 'used up' during my research...:D

Hey now Gary............I offered to send some of it back. My 'research' time is quite valuable. Send me your Dayton 4Z252 (rebadged Poulan 5200 for the non Poulan nuts) and I'll work hard to determine if the orange and black paint used on it is exactly the same shade and thickness as what's on my 2Z462 (early rebadged 245SA). I unfortunately won't be able to send your saw back to you, as it will be 'used up' during my research...:D

Don't worry, Aaron. You only wanted some chain, Gary tried to get me to drop off the Remington Super 990 at his place. :D

Anybody have an idea what those chains are or what presets I should be searching for?

Don't worry, Aaron. You only wanted some chain, Gary tried to get me to drop off the Remington Super 990 at his place. :D

Anybody have an idea what those chains are or what presets I should be searching for?

The only important thing is the pin size along with correct pitch. The only other factor is the hip were the sprocet rides and even if it is different a few spinds around will wear it in.

I have lots of 404 and 1/2 links but the best way to be sure is use a Micrometer and check pin size. In the ad I have for those oregon 32 1/2 kits it tells the pin size of .218 compared with .250 on the oregon 9 10 links.

I have swaped many different brands around on the vintage chain. As long as the pin fits snug and is long enough to leave a nice head your good to go.

Here is a chart I made a few years ago with 11 different pitches.

7/8 3/4 5/8 9/16 1/2 7/16 404 3/8 .354 .325 1/4

The hardest chain to cut is the 1/4. I wrecked quite a few links. :frown:

CIMG3476.jpg

The only important thing is the pin size along with correct pitch. The only other factor is the hip were the sprocet rides and even if it is different a few spinds around will wear it in.

I have lots of 404 and 1/2 links but the best way to be sure is use a Micrometer and check pin size. In the ad I have for those oregon 32 1/2 kits it tells the pin size of .218 compared with .250 on the oregon 9 10 links.

I have swaped many different brands around on the vintage chain. As long as the pin fits snug and is long enough to leave a nice head your good to go.

Here is a chart I made a few years ago with 11 different pitches.

7/8 3/4 5/8 9/16 1/2 7/16 404 3/8 .354 .325 1/4

The hardest chain to cut is the 1/4. I wrecked quite a few links. :frown:

CIMG3476.jpg

Yeah, I really need to pull it back out and measure the holes. :)

Back