Chainsaws after an EMP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was cold.. not just normal cold.. not just colder than my x's Vag cold.. Well actually, some of you reading this might wonder just how cold that actually is.. It's not like that has a number on a thermometer, or that you could use a probe, like you were checking a roast, or making sure that your chest freezer was working right. Let me just put it this way, when she spread her legs in bed, the heat pump couldn't handle it.. the main burner on the furnace came on to assist in keeping the pipes from bursting..
That's how cold it was outside! Maybe, even colder. And, with the way my wood pile was looking.. I knew that my sorry butt was going to have to go outside and get some wood cut, pronto!!
I looked around, and looked at the wood pile next to the stove, that kept me from freezing to death, and cooked what food I could scrounge, almost six years after the EMP. At first, after the EMP, life hadn't been that hard, the first to go was the gas from the gas station, then the shelves had been raped of all the "True Fuel", and the airports scavenged for all the gas for planes.. That meant it was time to get creative.
Some guys had gone with saw mods for home made alcohol for a fuel source. It was hard to tune, but a little bit of Nitro Methane, and some castor oil, and they would run .. for a bit..
Me? I took a leap of faith. Back.. back.. way back in the day, back when stuff ran down the road with twin stacks smoking a bit of black ruled the roads between the towns.. There was a few brands that ran another type of Diesel engine. It's mere name paid tribute to an almost forgotten Automotive industry. Simply put... it was the Detroit Diesel. There was something different about it. It wasn't like the rest of the over the road trucks. It had it's own sound.. The sound of a 2 stroke diesel!!
Now the hard part was adapting a 2 stroke Diesel engine to a chain saw chassis. It wasn't easy, but I was up to the task. It wasn't like I worked for a living anymore. Nobody did.. We just tried to get by.
I'd tried adapting a regular engine to Diesel, but to no avail. There was just no way to get the compression ratio that I'd need, no matter what I tried to mod.
So.. It was time to break out what I'd called, "The Science experiment". In the Mall near my place, there was a hobby shop that sold a lot of R.C. stuff, that basically was left alone by the looters.
I was the first to get stuff from there, and it was quite the haul. A whole bunch of Nitro R.C. engines and a few gallons of fuel. 3 engines, totalling 9. CC. make a total of 9 H.P... Just about perfect for a chainsaw, right? Total engine weight.. A whopping 2 pounds. The hard part was machining the mounts, and adapting the chain sprockets to deal with an engine that has best performance at 31,000 R.P.M. Machining without electricity, is a lot of manual labour!!
But hey.. It looks like something out of a "Mad Max" movie, sounds like the angriest swarm of hornets that you ever heard, and cuts wood... like a 9 H.P. saw!! What more could you want in the life after a world changing E.M.P.??
I'm keeping it around, and making another one for the Zombie Apocalypse!!

If this happens I may not have a phone, laptop, internet, electricity, running water, or a car... but I'll sure as hell have plenty of old condenser-point saws to keep my trees trimmed!

It was cold.. not just normal cold.. not just colder than my x's Vag cold.. Well actually, some of you reading this might wonder just how cold that actually is.. It's not like that has a number on a thermometer, or that you could use a probe, like you were checking a roast, or making sure that your chest freezer was working right. Let me just put it this way, when she spread her legs in bed, the heat pump couldn't handle it.. the main burner on the furnace came on to assist in keeping the pipes from bursting..
That's how cold it was outside! Maybe, even colder. And, with the way my wood pile was looking.. I knew that my sorry butt was going to have to go outside and get some wood cut, pronto!!
I looked around, and looked at the wood pile next to the stove, that kept me from freezing to death, and cooked what food I could scrounge, almost six years after the EMP. At first, after the EMP, life hadn't been that hard, the first to go was the gas from the gas station, then the shelves had been raped of all the "True Fuel", and the airports scavenged for all the gas for planes.. That meant it was time to get creative.
Some guys had gone with saw mods for home made alcohol for a fuel source. It was hard to tune, but a little bit of Nitro Methane, and some castor oil, and they would run .. for a bit..
Me? I took a leap of faith. Back.. back.. way back in the day, back when stuff ran down the road with twin stacks smoking a bit of black ruled the roads between the towns.. There was a few brands that ran another type of Diesel engine. It's mere name paid tribute to an almost forgotten Automotive industry. Simply put... it was the Detroit Diesel. There was something different about it. It wasn't like the rest of the over the road trucks. It had it's own sound.. The sound of a 2 stroke diesel!!
Now the hard part was adapting a 2 stroke Diesel engine to a chain saw chassis. It wasn't easy, but I was up to the task. It wasn't like I worked for a living anymore. Nobody did.. We just tried to get by.
I'd tried adapting a regular engine to Diesel, but to no avail. There was just no way to get the compression ratio that I'd need, no matter what I tried to mod.
So.. It was time to break out what I'd called, "The Science experiment". In the Mall near my place, there was a hobby shop that sold a lot of R.C. stuff, that basically was left alone by the looters.
I was the first to get stuff from there, and it was quite the haul. A whole bunch of Nitro R.C. engines and a few gallons of fuel. 3 engines, totalling 9. CC. make a total of 9 H.P... Just about perfect for a chainsaw, right? Total engine weight.. A whopping 2 pounds. The hard part was machining the mounts, and adapting the chain sprockets to deal with an engine that has best performance at 31,000 R.P.M. Machining without electricity, is a lot of manual labour!!
But hey.. It looks like something out of a "Mad Max" movie, sounds like the angriest swarm of hornets that you ever heard, and cuts wood... like a 9 H.P. saw!! What more could you want in the life after a world changing E.M.P.??
I'm keeping it around, and making another one for the Zombie Apocalypse!!
I would have never guessed that Tilden Lake would be so high up on the EMP target list.....

I would have never guessed that Tilden Lake would be so high up on the EMP target list.....
Bomarc.. A name that has been kept quiet for decades.. Over 5 decades, if my memory serves correctly. No.. make that over 6 decades.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/bomarc-missile-crisis
Diefenbaker "refused to arm the system with Nukes" .. Really? Did he, or was that just propaganda? Just a ruse to avert attention? Did he really piss off the U.S, or was that just to divert attention..

The Bomarc site is half way between North bay, and the sleepy Village of Tilden Lake.. I pass it every time I go for groceries. Is it mothballed? Who would really know.. Would our enemies risk a "Canadian surprise"? Just because it now masquerades as a storage facility could just be a front for a deep, well hidden Military Nuclear secret. Open to the public... with a whack of guarded "off limits" areas.

Tilden Lake keeps it's powder dry.

Paris Ontario is far enough away, that most chain saws will still work.

Bomarc.. A name that has been kept quiet for decades.. Over 5 decades, if my memory serves correctly. No.. make that over 6 decades.

https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/bomarc-missile-crisis
Diefenbaker "refused to arm the system with Nukes" .. Really? Did he, or was that just propaganda? Just a ruse to avert attention? Did he really piss off the U.S, or was that just to divert attention..

The Bomarc site is half way between North bay, and the sleepy Village of Tilden Lake.. I pass it every time I go for groceries. Is it mothballed? Who would really know.. Would our enemies risk a "Canadian surprise"? Just because it now masquerades as a storage facility could just be a front for a deep, well hidden Military Nuclear secret. Open to the public... with a whack of guarded "off limits" areas.

Tilden Lake keeps it's powder dry.

Paris Ontario is far enough away, that most chain saws will still work.
Keep that powder dry and on hand...I've got family in North Bay. Hopefully the work that my now 92 year old uncle did on DEW line (Distant Early Warning) projects early in his career had some effect on our continuing existence

Back