Cheap bar oil at Blain's FF.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I NEVER buy any store branded motor oil, always Shell 5-40 T6 (if my drum is low, which it is presently). Rotella in the engines and Chevron synthetic THC in the transmissions of the tractors. I can go through a lot on a change. The tractors each hold 11 quarts of Rotella and the transmissions each hold 15 gallons. I use Rotella in everything IC powered including the cars and trucks. Quality lubricants, like everything else has went way up in price.

Just bought a 135 pound open head drum of grease from Lubrication Engineers and it was $1500 shipping not included. LE synthetic grease is all I've used for years now. Usually a drum lasts me about 3 years.

I haven't greased a nose tip in years. In fact, none of the current bars I own has a hole for it. I suspect it doesn't do squat unless you're bore cutting 8 hours a day.
Haven't either and as you said many RSN tips no longer have grease holes. The Husky bar I bought last week made by Tsumara doesn't, Stihl bars haven't had them in years.
The grease is expelled out of the tip almost immediately anyways as it's not sealed.

Haven't either and as you said many RSN tips no longer have grease holes. The Husky bar I bought last week made by Tsumara doesn't, Stihl bars haven't had them in years.
The grease is expelled out of the tip almost immediately anyways as it's not sealed.
Pic of the Tsumara tip without a oil hole?

I ahead seen one without yet.

New 3/8 4 rivet. Then older ones I like 6 rivet 3/8 they no longer do in 3/8.

Attachments

• tsu44.jpg
    tsu44.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1
  • tsu6over4.jpg
    tsu6over4.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1
Even their 5w-40 diesel oil is a reasonable price. Might have to stop in.
Nevermind on this, Blain's F&F isn't in this area.

TSC is, but their Rotella isn't a good deal. TSC carries another brand of 5w-40 synthetic at a dino price, Ultra something or other, but no API donut and oil analysis shows it's crap oil. Pass.

I haven't greased a nose tip in years. In fact, none of the current bars I own has a hole for it. I suspect it doesn't do squat unless you're bore cutting 8 hours a day.
I haven't in 40 years, not a problem at all. Keep the groove and oil hole clean frequently.

The thin, untacky stuff appears to work as good or better than the thick tacky stuff.
Probably because bar oil really lubes the chain and nose sprocket mostly and thinner oil penetrates chain links and the sprocket bearing easier.
Bar oil has been 10-30 motor oil, often used. Have bought a new Husky 555 and am treating it and other older saws to TSC tacky bar oil. Now the saws look cleaner, without the carbon from the used motor oil, but they are filling up the clutch area with stuck on saw dust and bark shavings. Maybe will just go back to new 30 weight motor oil and not bother with the tackifier additive.

I NEVER buy any store branded motor oil, always Shell 5-40 T6 (if my drum is low, which it is presently). Rotella in the engines and Chevron synthetic THC in the transmissions of the tractors. I can go through a lot on a change. The tractors each hold 11 quarts of Rotella and the transmissions each hold 15 gallons. I use Rotella in everything IC powered including the cars and trucks. Quality lubricants, like everything else has went way up in price.

Just bought a 135 pound open head drum of grease from Lubrication Engineers and it was $1500 shipping not included. LE synthetic grease is all I've used for years now. Usually a drum lasts me about 3 years.
That LE is some good stuff and fairly hard to find in some areas.

The thin, untacky stuff appears to work as good or better than the thick tacky stuff.
Probably because bar oil really lubes the chain and nose sprocket mostly and thinner oil penetrates chain links and the sprocket bearing easier.
I agree with this. I caused a few bar tips to seize up with cheap bar oil that wasn't reaching the tip, probably because it too thick. It certainly worked better when thinned with diesel oil.

Attachments

• hbarnewx.jpg
    hbarnewx.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
  • hbarnewxxx.jpg
    hbarnewxxx.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1
Tried that at my local tsc, showed them the thread, and their price matching policy and still couldn't get them to price match. Claimed it was a regional thing, and they wouldn't price match. $8.99 on the shelf.
I made a trip to the local town nearest me (40 mi) that had a TSC for other reasons on the 5th or 6th and the sale was over. The worker gave me a blank look and didn't know anything about a sale.

That reminds me of the newer husky bars. Pic of rest of bar?

Never seen a Tsumura like that.

Huskys newer bar in pic. Been out several years now. https://www.husqvarna.com/us/bars/x-tough-solid-rsn3-8-pitch-050-058-063-gauge/
This is a Husqvarna brand guide bar (X-Tough NOT Light). @bwalker wrote that it's made by Tsumura, but that's not necessarily true. It's made in Canada probably.

Husqvarna sources their X-Tough Light bars from Tsumura/Suehiro Seiko Co. (4 sprocket rivets) and Sugihara/Diatop Co. Ltd. (5 sprocket rivets) depending on the market.

Latest posts

Back