Chinese Stihl & Husky saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this earlier, but got no response. How is it that we can afford the European saws, Huskvarna and Stihl, but our companies here can't produce one of similar quality / price? The European nations that produce those saw brands are more heavily taxed and regulated than companies in the U.S. Furthermore, they have more unionization and affilliated employee costs than we. The U.S. can't produce a $600 - $1500 saw?

I missed your post but I agree 100%. Their automotive industry is another example - generally very successful.

Very well written mate and I agree. However it is easy to point the finger at John Q Citizen for willfully buying Chinese made produce and as some have done point the finger at me for importing Chinese 365 knock offs (ouch...my eye!).
Illegally produced knock offs are not the problem as truth be known they are a very very small portion of the Chinese produced goods entering both of our countries. 99.99% of Chinese goods entering our countries are 100% legit and legal.
Seriously though the simple consumer is not to blame for all of this. Labelling laws are a shocker and despite people for example seeing "Made In USA" on their new MS261 they don't for one second think of asking ask what percentage of the saw is actually US Made. Chinese carb for example. Even if you did ask I'd bet my left nut that you wouldn't get a truthful reply from Stihl USA.
For example we have an "Australian Made" Holden (GM) Cruze car. Australian made my arse - it's 75% foreign content.
See what I'm saying? This goes way deeper than the average consumer can hope to fathom.

Yeah I have to iron the wrinkles out of the Chinese bores :D

See my reply above to Indiansprings. Your analogy in bold is also plain stupid - it is not that simple and trying to convince people like myself that I am one step off of being a criminal doesn't sit well. The other thing too is that quite often the only product available is now ONLY made in China - buy some US made sandshoes for example. If you saw me in the supermarket you'd probably get a big shock as I absolutely refuse to buy Chinese food due to it's dubious quality. I am constantly amazed at just how much poor quality but low priced foodstuffs are gradually making their way onto our supermarket shelves.
I have no issue buying Chinese goods when the quality is up to scratch.
Despite a massive push by many Australian businessmen to "Buy Australian" the fact remains that when times are tough, people will buy the cheapest possible produce to sustain themselves and their families. It's easy for people to jump on their high horse about things such as this but money is tight in many circles at the moment.

If you'll take the time to read that again you'll find that I didn't accuse you of anything, I was speaking in generalities. And I definitely wasn't throwing any of this at Australians. I'm sorry you took it so personal, maybe it's the slight differences in our form of English. In the USA we have a law against counterfeiting. We consider counterfeiting a form of theft and I guess, rightly so. If anybody wants to buy something made in China it's their right but it is not the Chinese' or anybody else's right to cobble up a chainsaw and call it a Stihl. Only the Stihl company has a right to do this. This may not be a problem in Australia but over here we see lots of knock-offs with name brand labels on them. And in my opinion that is the same as stealing from their company.
Personally, I prefer the older, metal, Homelite Poulan and McCulloch saws...nobody is trying to copy them.

If you'll take the time to read that again you'll find that I didn't accuse you of anything, I was speaking in generalities. And I definitely wasn't throwing any of this at Australians. I'm sorry you took it so personal, maybe it's the slight differences in our form of English. In the USA we have a law against counterfeiting. We consider counterfeiting a form of theft and I guess, rightly so. If anybody wants to buy something made in China it's their right but it is not the Chinese' or anybody else's right to cobble up a chainsaw and call it a Stihl. Only the Stihl company has a right to do this. This may not be a problem in Australia but over here we see lots of knock-offs with name brand labels on them. And in my opinion that is the same as stealing from their company.
Personally, I prefer the older, metal, Homelite Poulan and McCulloch saws...nobody is trying to copy them.

I'm aware that you were generalising however the fact that I'd made it plainly obvious that I have bought copied 365's did sort of point at people like me. Sorry if I came across the wrong way too but the internet can make things come across harsher than intended :cheers:

Now as mentioned I have never bought a Husky labelled rip off. The saws I have are blatant 365 copies but there is not one thing written anywhere to try and trick somebody into thinking they are a genuine Husky.
I draw the line there just like yourself and do not condone rip offs of any kind that are trying to deceive customers into believing they are the real deal. I have reported a guy on Australian eBay for selling knock off 090's yet claiming they are original Stihls. This prick even cracked over $2,000 for one from memory (I could have also imported these copy 090's landed in Australia for around USD$440 a piece). Funny thing was (and this shows how gullible even informed people can be) is that a thread was posted on Tre*world about this eBay auction and a fair few members fell for it. I piped in and had to burst their bubble. The penny didn't even drop with these guys when a second "Genuine" 090 popped up from the same seller immediately after the first one sold.

When I ordered the 365 clones I also ordered an 070 and an 038 knock off to have a look at (The quality turned out to be, um, very special...not). The manufacturer that my supplier purchased the saws from was that sh*t scared of getting busted by Australian Customs selling Stihl branded copies that the 070 arrived painted black and red, the Stihl branded bar had been spray painted black, and the 038 copy had all Stihl badges removed from it. I bought the 365's as test mules for the 76cc BB kits I've been importing and to basically thrash the crap out of without feeling bad about trashing a genuine Husky. I own a lot of genuine saws and have spent a small fortune in the industry on genuine gear so I don't feel as bad about it as some people think I should.

Blatant forgeries are looked upon just as harshly in Australia as in the US, maybe more so.

Last edited:
Genuine stihl part sold at a stihl dealer in USA

img7877w.jpg

I have no dog in this fight just had to post the pic in this thread

I reported this counterfeit STIHL MS250 today

Engine: 2-stroke,air cooled

Engine Displacement: 45.4cc

Rated Output Power: 2.2kw

Fuel tank capacity: 0.46L

Oil tank capacity: 0.20L

Cutting Diameter: 16"

Two-cycle oil/Gasoling Mixing Ratio: 1:25 :)

Pitch: 3/8"

Net weight: 5.6kgs Gross weight: 7.02kgs

BNIB - STIHL MS250 Gasoline Chain Saw 16" Bar Chain | eBay

I reported this counterfeit STIHL MS250 today

Engine: 2-stroke,air cooled

Engine Displacement: 45.4cc

Rated Output Power: 2.2kw

Fuel tank capacity: 0.46L

Oil tank capacity: 0.20L

Cutting Diameter: 16"

Two-cycle oil/Gasoling Mixing Ratio: 1:25 :)

Pitch: 3/8"

Net weight: 5.6kgs Gross weight: 7.02kgs

BNIB - STIHL MS250 Gasoline Chain Saw 16" Bar Chain | eBay

Thanks gmax, I thought it might be a fake but didn't look close enough.

There is a 070 in SA also on ebay - incase you want to add to your collection haha.

Thanks gmax, I thought it might be a fake but didn't look close enough.

There is a 070 in SA also on ebay - incase you want to add to your collection haha.

Thanks Rudolf, that 070 was listed a couple of weeks ago I watched it until the bidding went to about $300. No mention of why it's being re-listed? , maybe it's a dud.

Thanks Rudolf, that 070 was listed a couple of weeks ago I watched it until the bidding went to about $300. No mention of why it's being re-listed? , maybe it's a dud.

oh okay, thats seems like a reasonable price. how about that 090G - it looks like new but $2000 is way out of my price range.

For $2000 I would rather have a Solo Twin :chainsaw: :rock:

Sorry for the harsh response Wayne but if you bought a Solo Twin and didn't let me use it I'd kick you fair in the nuts.

I wouldn't help you stand back up either as I'd be running away with said Solo Twin.

Share and be friends or nut kicky - your choice mate.

Gmax
You better bid on this as well as the solo twin
Cricket=Gloves=Pads=Upper body guard=Mixed items=(Puma) | eBay
Looks like I will have too :D

$(KGrHqEOKowE3HGei87cBN4wQNyRo!~~_14.JPG

Sorry for the harsh response Wayne but if you bought a Solo Twin and didn't let me use it I'd kick you fair in the nuts.

I wouldn't help you stand back up either as I'd be running away with said Solo Twin.

Share and be friends or nut kicky - your choice mate.

Wow how can I refuse an offer like that! :laugh:, mate by the time I get a Solo Twin you will be too old to lift your leg high enough to kick me in the nuts :D

Wow how can I refuse an offer like that! :laugh:, mate by the time I get a Solo Twin you will be too old to lift your leg high enough to kick me in the nuts :D

Too old now :( I was just acting cybertuff. You can do that online...

If I find one in the next 20 years you won't be too old, but I might be :(

Cool. If I'm lucky they won't let you start it in the retirement home so I'll get to take it out and run it everyday. I'd just rev it and listen to that sweet sweet sound...

Back