Cooling Vest for Heat Stress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm working in the heat, I normally wear a tank top with a light weight, long sleeve shirt (unbuttoned) over it, and drink plenty of fluids. Once the shirt is soaked with sweat, it does a decent job of helping. I generally alternate back and forth between water and Gatorade through out the day. Biggest thing for me is to take PLANNED breaks. Otherwise, I tend to try to get just 1 more thing done before I stop for a break, and that ends up getting me in trouble eventually.

we eat these on hot days, pickle juice is great!

one pickle, a bottle of body armor for the day, and LOTS of water, 1 to 2 bottles an hour

1718721001193.png

works in this weather pretty well, as does sitting in the shade, sometimes I will sit/stand infront of the chipper chute and use is as a fan
1718721465791.png

I lived in Texas. I had to move in July. I had to leave the doors open while I carried things.

I bought myself a box of Otter Pops, which are just like Kool Pops.

Whenever I started to get tired and breathe heavily, I grabbed an Otter Pop and ate it fast. Right away, my strength came back. My body had to melt the ice, so the pops took the heat out of me. Water can't do that, but ice can. The effect lasts as log as it takes to melt the ice in your stomach.

I felt heat stroke coming on once. I went inside and took a cold shower and drank plenty of ice water. Quit working for the day.

A garden hose or jump in a cool brook or lake will also get your body temp down quickly.
We worked all day in 90 degree heat high humidity today, the only thing that saved us was a hose we kept using to get soaked.

Get a hose and spray yourself every time you feel the heat bothering you. Or carry water in a big cooler if no garden hose available. Make sure you drink enough water and or Gatorade when it gets stupid hot.

Some people have crappy hoses, and some people have those amazing rich people hoses with all the settings, including the "Cool down the lumberjack" setting that just perfectly soaks your head and brings you back to sanity.

On horrible days, if a hose is available, I'll hit it every fifteen or twenty-minutes. The heat just kills me. I lose 50% of my energy. I try to maintain a good frame of mind but it's a no go. Not built for heat. I'm built for the other stuff.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."
Meanwhile_in_Canada.jpg

We worked all day in 90 degree heat high humidity today, the only thing that saved us was a hose we kept using to get soaked.

It was many moons ago, but we were clearing trees for a rich lunatic, and it was ******* hot, and as the day goes on there is less and less shade 'cause we cut it all down. I was bucking up a spruce and suddenly realized that I didn't know where I was. I knew what I was doing, but I had no idea where I was doing it.

...annnnnnd I went and sat in the shade.

Some people have crappy hoses, and some people have those amazing rich people hoses with all the settings, including the "Cool down the lumberjack" setting that just perfectly soaks your head and brings you back to sanity.

On horrible days, if a hose is available, I'll hit it every fifteen or twenty-minutes. The heat just kills me. I lose 50% of my energy. I try to maintain a good frame of mind but it's a no go. Not built for heat. I'm built for the other stuff.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."
Meanwhile_in_Canada.jpg
Heat makes you tired so you stop working, it's a self-preservation mechanism. Take breaks in the shade.

It was many moons ago, but we were clearing trees for a rich lunatic, and it was ******* hot, and as the day goes on there is less and less shade 'cause we cut it all down. I was bucking up a spruce and suddenly realized that I didn't know where I was. I knew what I was doing, but I had no idea where I was doing it.

...annnnnnd I went and sat in the shade.
There's your sign! What temp do you call too hot?

Envy you guys who can work in that stuff. Have taken myself to puking too many times to count. I don't even try anymore. Working all day in 90 deg would be a death sentence.

Give me 20F any day. Get moving a bit and I'll be down to a T shirt in a few minutes and comfortable.

Hot is just hot. "Yeah but it's a dry heat" just means your body doesn't stink after you die, it just mummifies.

It's currently in the 90s here and dewpoint is ~70 oF.

I remember working summers on farms and baling hay in weather like this. The worst part was stacking the bales in the barns hay malls. It almost seemed cool when you went back outside. The farmer was good at keeping an eye on us, made us constantly drink liquids, and take breaks inside the house after unloading the wagons. Had a hose and stock tank of water in the shade to cool off and rinse off the hay dust stuck all over ourselves. We were already soaked with sweat.

Getting too old to do that kind of work, in that kind of heat. I'm not in the shape I was back then doing farm work 50 hours a week. I did help a cousin bale hay a few weeks ago, but it was in the 70s and not humid at all.

90 and up does it for me! 80 is very doable but starting to get there, 70 feels beautiful.

Humidity plays a big role, harder for your sweat to evaporate and cool you off. 80 can be bad if the dewpoint gets into the 70s

Spring and fall are my favorite times for strenuous work. If I'm cold I'm not working hard enough.

90 and up does it for me! 80 is very doable but starting to get there, 70 feels beautiful.

90 - Tears, whining, barfing, loss of brain function
80 - Complaints, edging towards actual kvetching.
70 - Just work and try not to dream of snow.
60 - Hello 😘
50 - Barely feels like work.
40 - T-shirt weather. Everything is fine. Move like the Hulk.

10-20: dont even think about it
20-40: painful
40-60: pretty nice, can work good
60-70: perfect
70-80: is getting pretty hot
80-90: hot
90-100: doable but I turn into a sloth and start seeing things
100+: I'm staying home unless there's an emergency

The heat didn't bother me much around 10 years ago when I liven in twentynine palms, typical day was about 104 degrees, but now that I'm in Tennessee 104 would kill me in 5 minutes, maybe the dry heat and lack of trees to slow down breeze helped? The humidity where I live now is a bit much

Back